Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any suggestions for keeping the map tiles from drifting apart as the game plays? We played once where the map got a little tectonic on us due to a tablecloth, and it was a pain in the butt. It's not a big deal generally, but I'd prefer to keep it together better and was wondering if anyone else considered this.

Been thinking of making an interlocking border for each configuration (3x3, 4x3, 4x4, and 5x4), but it wouldn't fit in the box unless it's foldable. Would be even nicer if the map pieces interlocked, but that's probably not feasible with the map as is.

Anyone thinking of making something for this purpose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
Any suggestions for keeping the map tiles from drifting apart as the game plays? We played once where the map got a little tectonic on us due to a tablecloth, and it was a pain in the butt. It's not a big deal generally, but I'd prefer to keep it together better and was wondering if anyone else considered this.

Been thinking of making an interlocking border for each configuration (3x3, 4x3, 4x4, and 5x4), but it wouldn't fit in the box unless it's foldable. Would be even nicer if the map pieces interlocked, but that's probably not feasible with the map as is.

You could always get some plexiglass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travisdhill wrote:
Gamer_Dog wrote:

You could always get some plexiglass.
or lose the table cloth. I've never had this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Janzen
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've done with games in the past.. is use Post It Notes on the back side. They hold the pieces together and don't leave any residue afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to use a Grip Mat and see how that does. It's generally excellent for games whose boards are composed from tiles….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrakkorzog wrote:
One thing I've done with games in the past.. is use Post It Notes on the back side. They hold the pieces together and don't leave any residue afterwards.

Very nice idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nostra
Slovenia
Ljubljana (Colonia Iulia Aemona, Roman Empire 1st-5th century AD)
flag msg tools
John Company (2017) by Cole Wehrle, Sierra Madre Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Place the FCM tiles on the backside of another game board?

And you could fixate the tiles to that game board with this:

UHU patafix glue pads (the white ones)

I use the patafix also for other purposes:

When tracking player scores (especially when the scoring track runs along the boardgame edge), or when tracking any other important data, I like to fixate my game pieces/markers, so that they do not move off of their spots. I temporarily fixate them with the help of UHU patafix glue pads. It´s a cinch to adjust their position.

I use them very frequently in games such as Twilight Struggle, Dominant Species, and Polis.

I use the regular white glue pads, not the white home deco or dark-gray propower variants, which might be too strong, and could damage your game. If you´ve never used these glue pads before, they are a bit like chewing gum, but less sticky, reusable, and won´t damage your pieces when used properly (see note below). You should test them out first!

In general, use just enough to fixate your pieces to the board and no more. Click on the hyperlink above and you can watch a video on UHU´s website to see the material.

Cautionary note: Cardboard markers are layers of paper stuck together. So, when using patafix with such delicate materials, use just a little dot of patafix placed in the center of your game piece/marker, not over its entire surface, otherwise you could peel its nicely printed surface right off the underlying layer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use this stuff for boards that slip (some boards that aren't tiles like FCM is also slip, particularly the smaller ones that aren't hinged)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AS9N3U?psc=1&redirect=t...
We've used it over both plain table tops and over a table cloth.

It's inexpensive and the 20" width (20" x 6' roll) handles pretty much any game you might need it for. We cut it custom for games we know will slip. It fits in the box for the games with single boards (of course), and folding it hasn't been a problem for the hinged boards.

We also keep some around for people who bring games that slip on us. When people see how well it works, they always want to take the mat home. We don't mind, we just spend $4 for another roll whenever we run out.

You might also consider chopping up a 1mm yoga mat -- excellent stuff, but far more expensive.

Edit: clarifying that the rolls are 20" x 6'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben George
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like cork boards or cork mats for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Morton
United States
Republic
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GENIUS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigiba wrote:
We use this stuff for boards that slip (some boards that aren't tiles like FCM is also slip, particularly the smaller ones that aren't hinged)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AS9N3U?psc=1&redirect=t...
We've used it over both plain table tops and over a table cloth.

It's inexpensive and the 20" width (20" x 6' roll) handles pretty much any game you might need it for. We cut it custom for games we know will slip. It fits in the box for the games with single boards (of course), and folding it hasn't been a problem for the hinged boards.

We also keep some around for people who bring games that slip on us. When people see how well it works, they always want to take the mat home. We don't mind, we just spend $4 for another roll whenever we run out.

You might also consider chopping up a 1mm yoga mat -- excellent stuff, but far more expensive.

Edit: clarifying that the rolls are 20" x 6'

I think you can find stuff like this at a dollar store for cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.