13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions for 4 player games for family with 7 & 9 yr old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N S
msg tools
Hi all!

I have reading lots of reviews and am feeling a little overwhelmed. I want to take advantage of some board game deals this week, so I'd love some suggestions. We have 7 & 9 yr old daughters and would like some more games we can play as a family.

We have:

Catan - Our first "real" game. We all like it, gameplay is long though. 7 yr old tends to get hyper focused on a specific goal, rather then her overall game, but she plays well enough.

Forbidden Desert - We all like this. 7 yr old's favorite.

Dominion - 9 yr old says if she could only play one game for the rest of her life it would be Dominion. My favorite as well. Not as big a hit w/ hubby and 7 yr old, but they will play. 7 yr old likes a bit of help.

Ticket to Ride - just got this so I'm not sure what we think yet. I find shuffling the tiny cards incredibly annoying. Silly, I know; but couldn't they give us regular size cards?

Pandemic - this seems much harder then FD, though we've only played once. I think we may like it more after a few more plays.

I'd love to try a game that's a different style then what we have (ie, not a deck-builder, co-op, etc.) Games with girly themes are obviously going to go over better then war/zombie/monster games. Shorter playing time, like 30-45 minutes would be better then 60+. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EASY
Blokus
Bandu
Catan Junior
Mille Bornes
Waterworks

MORE DIFFICULT
Forbidden Island
Ravensburg Labyrinth
Dungeon
Carcasonne

There's a light Kickstarter out right now called Roll Player, but you wouldn't get it until October 2016.

You could also just do the build phase of Galaxy Trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go!. I recommend picking up 4 of Gamewrights Little Hands Card Holders - works great to not just help the kids hold the cards, but also pass their hands. Mamma Mia! works too.

My 7YO daughter loves King of Tokyo; I break out my dice tower, and she likes dumping them down it. Figured out some strategy faster than I thought she would.

My 10YO son is not a great game player, but the puzzly aspects of Flash Point: Fire Rescue work for him.

My two kids both love Survive: Escape from Atlantis!.

Oh, and Sushi Go and the card holders (and King of Tokyo) are all available at Target, so easy gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Mykkanen
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 yo and 8 yo love playing games with the family. Some they enjoy:

Ticket to Ride - This is fantastic with the Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 expansion (more destinations and regular sized train cards). I agree, the tiny cards are terrible.
Dice Town - Roll dice and keep at least 1. Build poker hands. They didn't know how to play poker, but caught on to the rules for what to save quickly.
Jamaica - A fun pirate themed race game. Choose 1 of 3 cards to determine how far you move and try to collect treasures while racing around the board and battling each other.
King of Tokyo - Kind of like Yahtzee with monsters.
Rise of Augustus - Much more fun than bingo, but not much more difficult.
Quiddler - A fun word game. They sometimes need some help with this one, but they really enjoy it.
Sushi Go! - Great intro to drafting games like 7 Wonders and Among the Stars (they also play Among the Stars, but that is a more challenging game to learn and your kiddos might not be ready).
Splendor - This one was more difficult for them to catch on to, but once they did, they really like it.
Carcassonne: South Seas - This is easier for them to grasp than regular Carc because the scoring happens as you go. They like puzzley games like this and Galaxy Trucker as another poster mentioned.

They also like playing two player with me and one of them. Some 2p favorites are:
Patchwork, Star Realms, and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Good luck and enjoy gaming with your kiddos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S
msg tools
tmykkanen wrote:
Carcassonne: South Seas - This is easier for them to grasp than regular Carc because the scoring happens as you go. They like puzzley games like this and Galaxy Trucker as another poster mentioned.

Thanks so much for this. I was looking at Carcassonne and thinking that a slightly lighter (and maybe cuter themed) version would be better. I will check this out for sure. How hard was Among the Stars for your kids to pick up? I want to own it just for the box artwork. It's gorgeous. Maybe Sushi or 7 Wonders would be easier to learn though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Mykkanen
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NJST wrote:
tmykkanen wrote:

Thanks so much for this. I was looking at Carcassonne and thinking that a slightly lighter (and maybe cuter themed) version would be better. I will check this out for sure. How hard was Among the Stars for your kids to pick up? I want to own it just for the box artwork. It's gorgeous. Maybe Sushi or 7 Wonders would be easier to learn though?

Among the Stars wasn't too bad, but I taught them Sushi Go first. I've also found that they catch on quicker the more games they learn. ATS was taught to them after I'd taught them a considerable amount. Note, we play vanilla ATS even though I own all expansions (it's one of my favorites).

7 Wonders is the hardest of the three in my opinion because of the iconography. I haven't tried it with them yet because I prefer ATS. I would start your kids with Sushi Go so they get familiar with the concept of drafting before ATS. Both games are good choices for kids because everyone is involved all the time. That tends to be the type of game that goes over best with my kiddos because they have a short attention span.

EDIT: I re-read the list of what your girls know how to play and they will probably be ok with ATS. It's not terribly complicated. The theme is space station though, which you might want to run by them in case they don't like it. (My 8yo girl loves it, but she likes sci-fi).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
The big hit in my house right now is Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix. I wouldn't have guessed that my 7 and 11 year old daughters would go for the theme, but we've had four plays over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! has a cute, appealing exterior for kids and very simple rules, but requires a good amount of thought to play well. It plays quicker than what you were looking for, but in my experience one game is quickly followed by a rematch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Carrigan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I have two daughters, now aged 11 and 13. We have played tons of games over the last five or so years. Here are some of the hits:

Dominion -- which you already mentioned but I will say that their favorite expansion was Guilds because of the metal coins

Takenoko -- both daughters love the panda and the whole theme of this game, similar in complexity to Ticket to Ride.

Splendor -- both really like this game, though both skeptical upon first play I think.

Augustus -- mentioned by another poster but also works well as a family game.

Machi Koro -- easier that Settlers of Catan, quicker too. I think this would work well for your family.

Love Letter-- a short, micro game that has been a big hit with both of my daughters.

Zooloretto -- great older game (decade or so maybe) that has a theme of building a zoo, which my daughters both love. The gameplay is similar in complexity to Ticket to Ride I think.

Dixit -- both my girls love this game because of the art and gameplay, which is similar to Apples to Apples. Highly recommended.

Best of luck with your search. Feel free to geekmail me if you have any further questions!

Friendly regards,

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Carrigan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Oh, and I should have added the new hotness for my family: Between Two Cities! It has a co-op element but a single winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Saarto
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride - you already have this, I suggest you give it a go. Its been excellent for ages 7 up in my family. As already said, 1910 cards are normal size. Many map packs and cool stuff available for TtR if you took a fancy to it.

Splendor - Its very streamlined, quite fast and has great components. 8 year old has beaten me by a mile in this.

Love Letter - even my teenage son quits his other activities for this.

Carcassonne - You get to actually BUILT a beautiful medieval countryside with towns, roads and cloisters. Has some co-op mechanics so it does not have to be all competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jenkins
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue might work for you all. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trans Europe / Trans America; even after ten years of playing it still gets requested by our daughters. Which I can't say about Catan...

edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.