Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
As we in Sweden have sverok:

Sverok.se; badly translated by me wrote:

Sverok, Sveriges roll- och konfliktspelsförbund [roleplaying- and conflictgaming organisation] is an organisation for gameclubs of diffrent types. Roleplaying, Boardgame, Miniature gaming, LARP, card games, computer games, airsoft and paintball is the main activities.
With the aim to play games and have fun togheter youths and gameintrested around the country became involved. The Organisation holds about 1600 clubs and about 72 500 members

(sorry about the translation of that, it was stressed so it might be some bugs to it.)

Anyway does other countries have organisations like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vogelzang
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
Hi Virre,

Nowhere near what you describe (72500 member!!!surprise ) but the Netherlands has DUCOSIM (Dutch Conflict Simulation), fewer than a 1000 members. Started out as wargames organisation in the seventies, to gradually become a general board- and roleplaying one (oh, yeah and tabletop and all that as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
KompaNanzi wrote:
Hi Virre,

Nowhere near what you describe (72500 member!!!surprise ) but the Netherlands has DUCOSIM (Dutch Conflict Simulation), fewer than a 1000 members. Started out as wargames organisation in the seventies, to gradually become a general board- and roleplaying one (oh, yeah and tabletop and all that as well).

Ah well...

Well I guess the main reason is computer games today. Mostly the fact that many big LANS is I understand things right, is run as organisation under the umbrella of Sverok.

So not so much boardgames at all. But it's a good resource to backup all kinds of gaming in this country.

Although they kicked out the poker clubs som years ago, if I not remember wrong. (If that had been part, then we would have talked even more).

Ah and yes some webbpages at least have been run as organisations (and then I guess you can be part of more than one sverok-organised club or whatever).

Hmm... I'm not good on the English words for this things (;

And in the end I guess Sweden has some good kinds of burecracy, (propably to give folks money to stop kids from drinking.) at lest in some towns.)

Mind you, I don't get why other countries couldn't do this kind of stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thought (a National Game Organization) has crossed my mind a few times. I am also surprised that there isn't one in the USA. I am relatively new to the hobby, so I might not have come across it yet.

Is there a National Game Organiztion (or something like it) in the US?

For those countries that do have a natinal organization:
(1) What are the benefits of being a member? Does membership have its advantages?

(2) Are there meetings?

(3) Do the National Game Organizations help promote game events like Essen? Or the reverse - do events (like Essen) promote the NGO's?

These thoughts cross my mind when I ponder - Wouldn't it be great to have an "Essen-like" event in the USA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
UsanaChris wrote:

(1) What are the benefits of being a member? Does membership have its advantages?

In the case of DUCOSIM (Netherlands).
Free gaming journal for members (4/year); free entry to convention (4/year); 10% discount in most FLGSs.

UsanaChris wrote:
(2) Are there meetings?

Yes. Four a year. The first one of the year is the most interesting, because it always includes an auction of generally some 200 lots (some are single games, other lots include several games - most are common, but there always are at least 10 rare (and pricey) games).

UsanaChris wrote:
(3) Do the National Game Organizations help promote game events like Essen? Or the reverse - do events (like Essen) promote the NGO's?

There always is a lot of attention to Spiel Essen and Spellenspektakel (biggest Dutch convention) in the society journal Spel! (which means "game"). There is no promotion the other way around.

See also: www.ducosim.nl (Dutch only).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
UsanaChris wrote:
This thought (a National Game Organization) has crossed my mind a few times. I am also surprised that there isn't one in the USA. I am relatively new to the hobby, so I might not have come across it yet.

Is there a National Game Organiztion (or something like it) in the US?

(2) Are there meetings?

These thoughts cross my mind when I ponder - Wouldn't it be great to have an "Essen-like" event in the USA?

(1) Ah yes, you get a paper, your club/organisation get's economical suport from the organisation, that money comes from a Swedish goverment agency called 'Ungdomsstyrelsen' (I.e the Board for Youths or something like that). All this money is to go right to the club/organisation, and does, some as money some as things around.

(2) As SVEROK is the umbrella at top, the meets are with your local organisation/club, but there is some meets, such as annual regional ones, and a nation-wide. Do decide how is ruling the organisation and so on. Clasical swedish 'popular (national) movement ' (sorry, had to look that up in the lexicon, and that's not really right either) build from the bottom up.

(3). Well there really isn't many game events that aren't run from local organisations (that is members in Sverok), so that question is quite hard. But Sverok does try to take the debate that comes up from time to time.
--

Your US specific question US people needs to answer, I don't know enough of the US for answering that. (Man I said US alot there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.