Popular Tags: 3-player [+] [View All]
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There are so many maps these days that I've lost track.

Which are the best maps for three?

I have tried Ireland, which was excellent.

I have seen recommendations for:

* France
* Scandinavia
* Korea

Any others I should know about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scandinavia may be good. 3 is tricky, IMO. I like crowded AoS games, I think that it calls for much more refined play and decision making. Ireland is good with 3 but best with 4, IMO.

devil

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ireland is good, but Italy is also an excellent 3-player map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposedly, London, Japan, The Sun, and Disco Inferno all play well with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can say Japan was designed with 3 players in mind. You can download it here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=13216
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
My best experiences with 3 player maps include:

Ireland - My gold star favourite.
20,000 Rails - Really can only be played with 3 IMO.
Japan - Very tight.

France is also good for 3. It's not as different as many of the other maps out there, but the need to take engineer to build over the mountains actually makes the map a bit trickier than one might expect.

Incidentally: I played Disco Inferno with 4, and I would assume that it's best with that number, or even perhaps 5.

Still haven't played Lawrence's Sun or London, both of which are supposed to be good for 3, but I've been too busy playtesting when I have 3 players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
oh yes, and in regards to Scandinavia:

Physically, the map is certainly tight enough to be a good 3 player map. I think it has some runaway leader issues though, mainly because it still has the normal locomotive action, and the extremely powerful ability of the ferry.

Basically, in a 3 player game, if someone can monopolize the engine early and get ahead of the others (i.e.: take 2 of the first 3 Locomotive special actions) then they are likely going to decimate the table because they will have an income advantage, and likely will be able to continually take the Ferry ability, which is one of the most powerful abilities available in the game, as it allows you to simultaneously steal a good from an opponent, and, presumably, ship it for maximum delivery length yourself.

(And yes, Korea also works decently with 3, because the chaos factor of the city colour changes is mitigated by having fewer people at the table...probably too many goods available, but what can you do?)

(Edit for grammar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Malachi wrote:
Supposedly, London, Japan, The Sun, and Disco Inferno all play well with three.

London works with three, but is much better with four. For my tastes London is too relaxed with 3.

Sun is best with 3.

Disco Inferno is also good with 3, but again better with 4.

The more I play Ireland the less impressed I am with it. Substitute Richard's Express Locomotive action from Japan however and it comes right back up there. For me the best three player maps are, in descending order: Sun, Japan, Ireland. Yes, I consider Richard's Japan map considerably preferable to the Warfrog Ireland these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some really good feedback here guys. Looks like I'm going to have to try Japan at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CortexBomb wrote:
Still haven't played Lawrence's Sun or London, both of which are supposed to be good for 3, but I've been too busy playtesting when I have 3 players...

Do London with 4 first. Really. That's the player count it was designed for and the player count at which the track costs versus opportunism best balances. I even have one group saying it needs 5 (I think they're crazy, but what the hey).

Sun I like best with 3 players and designed it specifically for that player count, and that's where most of the playtesters seemed to like it best. Ted is on record as saying he prefers it with 5. I think he's got more than bats in his belfry on that score, but whatever floats his boat. A few others really like the 4 player game too. Shrug. I guess it is nice to have a map players feel so strongly about.

We need more 3 player maps. I'll see what I can do. My current set in development are a quad of 6 player maps (another weak part of the AoS spectrum) plus a 4 player map (Wales). I'll see if I can't trim Wales down to do a good job at 3 players too. It needs some trimming anyway. I'm afraid none of the rest of my pipeline looks good for 3 players yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Paquet
Canada
Boischatel
Québec Province
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

The more I play Ireland the less impressed I am with it. Substitute Richard's Express Locomotive action from Japan however and it comes right back up there.

We had the feeling as JC concerning the Ireland map. Since a long time when we play the Ireland map we use the loco action from Richard Irving Japanese map. It gave the Ireland map a new life for us as the official Ireland loco. was almost never choosen. With this modification Ireland is one of the best map for 3 players.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/116050
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doing my first playtest for Japan, late in the game when all ofthe players were at 6 level trains and another player, Mark Biggar, said, "I really wish I could ship 7 links--even if only for this turn by taking Loco."

That struck fire! Why not make that the standard Loco rule on the Japan map? I have to credit Mark for the original inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Devin Smith, Bill Rosgen and company have been putting AoS:London as their favourite 3 player map (and in Devin's case, his favourite AoS expansion):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/155671
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/153745

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.