Hide
5 Posts

Hive» Forums » Variants

Subject: Four creature ideas (not sure how many are new) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xaxazak Xak
msg tools
Apologies if I trample on anyone's current species. They can always be changed.

Mayfly:
======

Count: Two.

Placement: Normal.

Movement: Can be lifted then placed down in the same manner as placement (ground level, next to one or more friendly tiles and no enemy tiles).
- Original location is unimportant, except that the one hive rule must be maintained. Freedom of movement doesn't apply (it flies).

Special: Can voluntarily die (permanent removal from board), as long as one hive rule is maintained. (This can be done to leave an annoying gap).

Interaction: No special rules. Pillbug can move as normal. Mosquito can copy movement and special.

Role: A very defensive unit, used for blocking and creating holes that are annoying to fill. Good to keep next to your queen.

Theme: It's a fast-flying (hive: it has long distance movement) weakling (hive: hard to use offensively) that dies quickly (hive: special).

Bee:
===

Count: One.

Movement: Same as Queen.

Special: Can kill (permanent removal from board) an adjacent non-stacked non-queen unit , either friend or enemy, as long as the one hive rule is maintained.
- After killing, bee is disabled (unable to move or use special). A disabled bee (or mosquito) can be represented by turning tile over.

Interaction: No special rules. Pillbug can move as normal (can move disabled tiles too). Mosquito can copy movement and special (becoming disabled itself). However, the mosquito can't copy movement and special of a disabled bee.

Role: A defensive unit. Probably good idea to offensively beetle it.

Theme: Bees can't survive after stinging.

Locust:
======

Placement: Both must be placed on same turn, one after the other. (EDIT): Cannot be placed until both queens are on the board. Normal placement position requirements for each locust.

Movement: Both locusts can be moved in the same turn, one after the other. Moving only one of the locusts is also permitted, even if both are able to move.
- Each locust moves one or two spaces around the hive. For each move, freedom of movement applies, and the one hive rule is maintained.

Special: None.

Interaction: No special rules (unless more than one mosquito per player). Pillbug can move as normal. Mosquito can copy one locust's movement.
- If playing with two or more mosquitoes, if both mosquitoes touch a locust (not necessarily the same one), then both can move like locusts in the same turn.
- It is not possible to move one mosquito and one locust in the same turn.

Role: A mostly aggressive twin unit.

Theme: Locusts swarm. Two isn't exactly a swarm, but it's swarmier than one.

Midge:
=====

Movement: One or two spaces on ground level. Ignores freedom of movement.

Special (passive): For the purposes of the one hive rule, does not contribute to the hive structure. Midges must still always remain connected to the hive.
- This means every piece must be connected to all other pieces through at least one continuous path that does NOT contain midges except as the endpoints.
- A unit on top of a midge contributes to the hive structure. This can potentially (albeit unlikelily) lead to a situation where the unit on top is effectively immobilized because moving it would break the one hive rule.

Interaction: No special rules. Pillbug can move as normal. Mosquito can copy movement. Passive special is irrelevant to mosquito.

Role: An aggressive unit that is hard to block.
- You can't pin a Midge as the pinning unit wouldn't be attached to the hive.
- The only way to prevent it moving is to completely surround it.

Theme: It's really small and inconsequential.

All comments welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Loves Happiness!!!
United States
Eagle Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them sound interesting. One question, though; why does the bee remove a tile but stay(albeit disabled) itself? I think having two "dead" tiles makes for interesting strategies. In fact, I'm going to try it both ways. Thanks, great ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xaxazak Xak
msg tools
The main reason the bee removes a tile is that I thought it wasn't powerful enough otherwise. Since it only gets to act once, and its movement is poor, you want it to at least be able to rescue your queen (reduce the surround by one).

However, removing both tiles (bee and its prey) makes it a bit too powerful, as you can then go from 5 units surrounding straight to 3 units surrounding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

These are some very interesting and well thought out bugs! thumbsup

I'm quite curious to see what John Yianni and some of the other strong players have to say.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier de la Rosa
Spain
flag msg tools
I like the 4 ideas of movement a lot. The killing ability of the bee has been explored by the mantis or the assassin bug, but without being disabled after the stinging process, that is interesting.

I think that, as the locust is very similar to grasshopper, it could be changed by other kind of swarm insect, or maybe cockroachs, I don´t know.

The mayfly could be changed by a normal fly, as they live few days, they are difficult to catch, and are a more known insect.
This, a fact for their evading capability: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/science/newsid_7587000/7587...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.