Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John R
United States
Jamestown
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I recently decided to try painting my minis while I wait for 2.0 and JM to get here. I've found out some of the information I need but I'm having trouble with a few details and I was hoping some of you could help. So far I've primed all the minis with a white spray primer, and from the looks of it I don't think I overdid that. That is dry and I'm ready to start the actual painting, and this is where I'm a little unsure. I bought a bunch of enamel paints because I had heard somewhere that those worked better for painting minis. Not sure if this is true or not, but I have them so I plan on using them. My questions are:
1) How do I clean the brushes? I did a test run of all the colors on a white canvas to see how each color looked and tried to use water to clean the brush. Obviously that failed. Miserably . I read that a combination of water and paint thinner will work, but I cannot find what concentration to use, and I'm not positive paint thinner is even the correct cleaner to use. Anyone know if that will work and what amounts to use?
2) I've also heard that you should thin enamel paints before applying, but again, I can't find a common concentration of thinner to paint that will work, and I really want to avoid over-thinning the paints and making them unusable.

Any help on these would be really appreciated. And I am a complete noob when it comes to painting so any other tips that I should know going forward would be very helpful as well.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmbmb
Acetone is an appropriate paint thinner for enamel, it is sold in many places as nail polish remover. [edit] It's appropriate for enamel, but enamel's probably not appropriate for plastic minis. See comments below. I'm leaving my ignorance up for posterity. [/edit]

If you use nylon-bristled brushes the acetone will shorten their working life. Come to think of it, the acetone will probably eat your minis as well (as MrTetsuo mentions below)

[edit]

You also ask for tips - Unfortunately I don't really have any good ones as I'm quite the duffer when it comes to painting. However, I did a GeekList search for "miniature painting" and this list looked helpful:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164108/my-miniature-paint...

Hope you find it useful.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doyle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
It really depends on what type of paint you're using. Generally you would use a water based acrylic which you would clean using water. I keep a small cup of water and a paper towel to rinse between colors. Swish around in the water and dry on the towel until it runs clear (always with the direction of the bristles). Also, you almost never wait to paint straight from the pot onto the figure, you should use the brush to transfer a bit of paint onto a pallet and thin to the desired consistency and paint from there.

I don't have much experience using oil based colors and wouldn't recommend it. Having appropriate model paints will make your life easier and you'll be more happy with the results. That said, they can get expensive but I think you could do a lot with a fairly small set of colors.

Games workshop/citadel has a bunch of really good youtube painting tutorials which are well worth watching. I actually really like their paints but they are expensive and their bottles aren't great. Their inks/shades are really good.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Painting-Modelling
https://www.reapermini.com/Paints
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-color/family/15

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccrunner52 wrote:
I bought a bunch of enamel paints because I had heard somewhere that those worked better for painting minis.
Where did you hear that? I don't think I know of any single mini painter that uses enamels.

Start by googling "painting miniatures" and see where that leads you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Jamestown
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Huh, sounds like I was given some bad information. That sucks. I've already bought a fair amount of paint, though, and I don't want it to go to waste so I may just give it a go with the enamel and see what happens. I'm not going to be too picky on the looks. As long as it's reasonable. And if it doesn't work then I will give it a shot with acrylic.
Thanks for all the responses. Kinda wish I had asked you guys earlier. Wish me luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccrunner52 wrote:
I've already bought a fair amount of paint, though, and I don't want it to go to waste so I may just give it a go with the enamel and see what happens.
If you've got it, you might as well use it. I'm surprised someone didn't try to upsell you some paint thinner. For what it's worth, it's still paint so all the same techniques still apply. Just ignore everything you'll read about thinning with water since that won't work. And whatever you do, do NOT suck on your paintbrushes!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Head here for more tips and answers

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/909

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone completely new, I would recommend the dip method. This GeekList has been invaluable to me.

The DIP Method: A Step by Step Guide to Painting Miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from Kingdom Death: Monster, but the principles are the same. It's mainly to show you the power of using wash, with some images.

Here you can see I've just done a basic job of priming the models and then adding basic colors. Nothing fancy.

But watch how using wash (in this case a can of Army Painter strong tone wash, applied with a brush) brings out the highlights. In fact, I probably used too much, and should have brushed some of that excess off. But in any case, they are still better looking than plain grey.

The final step is to spray them with Testors Dull-cote to take the shine off and give them a coat of protection.

I used the same method to come up with these:

Honestly, I am not trying to show off here, in fact it's the opposite. I'm trying to show that even a rank amateur such a myself can do this, just by knowing the right techniques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdoyle wrote:
It really depends on what type of paint you're using. Generally you would use a water based acrylic which you would clean using water. I keep a small cup of water and a paper towel to rinse between colors. Swish around in the water and dry on the towel until it runs clear (always with the direction of the bristles). Also, you almost never wait to paint straight from the pot onto the figure, you should use the brush to transfer a bit of paint onto a pallet and thin to the desired consistency and paint from there.

I don't have much experience using oil based colors and wouldn't recommend it. Having appropriate model paints will make your life easier and you'll be more happy with the results. That said, they can get expensive but I think you could do a lot with a fairly small set of colors.

Games workshop/citadel has a bunch of really good youtube painting tutorials which are well worth watching. I actually really like their paints but they are expensive and their bottles aren't great. Their inks/shades are really good.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Painting-Modelling
https://www.reapermini.com/Paints
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-color/family/15

I'd follow this. The GW tutorials on too tube are really good and show that painting, although it needs a little skill, isn't as difficult as it sounds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another tutorial:

Simple 'within the lines' paint job with a final wash can go a long way for fast paintjobs which look really good. Simple tutorial ends up like this when on the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buitelaar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it seems like a waste, but I seriously suggest you stay away from enamail based paint.
It's seriously a headache to work with compared to acrylics and will give a horrid glossy finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Jamestown
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Wow, thank you, everyone! This is some really nice stuff here. I'll start making my way through it all and hopefully will be up and painting soon. As soon as I have some progress I'll post some pictures and show you how it's going.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the toughest step is gathering up the courage to do your first mini. And remember you can always paint over a botched job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buitelaar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too true.
also, almost any paintjob looks better then bare plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up a Reaper Learn to Paint Kit. If you can't find it at the FLGS or OLGS, Reaper miniatures will have a promotion in which you get a free holiday limited edition figure with purchase above $40. A LTPK and bottle of white primer should do it. See the Reaper miniatures website!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
Honestly, the toughest step is gathering up the courage to do your first mini. And remember you can always paint over a botched job.

Your first lesson is try to paint a mini!!!

Your Second lesson is how to use 'simple green' and a toothbrush and strip said paint from the mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll second the Reaper Learn to Paint Kit. That's how I learned to paint. The instructions are easy to follow and the results you get on the test minis they provide are encouraging and really demystify painting for a beginner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The_Voivod wrote:
I know it seems like a waste, but I seriously suggest you stay away from enamail based paint.

Consider it an expensive lesson to learn. As painful as it is to toss or give away the enamel paints, you will thank yourself in the long run.

While I didn't learn using a Reaper LTP kit, I very much respect what "Sam and Max" says and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I were you.

Also, there's a ton of content on the interwebs that I'll point you to. These helped me tremendously when I was first learning to paint miniatures. Also, be sure to check out the BGG Painting Guild as there's a bunch of help waiting for you there as well.

Here are some YouTube Channels to checkout on Miniature Painting (YMMV)

Dr. Faust
GirlPainting
Jay Adan

As some point you just have to do it and simply commit to jumping in. I started with Grubbers and Crawlers and then moved onto the Heroes. I learned to paint miniatures with Myth.

Here's my painted base Myth game. I haven't painted much more yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.