Popular Tags: WWII [+] teaching_with_games [+] [View All]
Michael Matera
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello I am a teacher thinking about using Memior 44 in my classroom. I am wondering if any of you have used it in your classrooms. What roles did students play so that they all can play? What other assignments did you have them do so that you can justify doing this assignment?

If it helps you picture my classroom I have 28 students and I have the same kids all day.

Really I am in need of any help/suggestioins you all might have. I have really come to love the BBG community and all that we have to offer each other. Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks Much
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Dreifuss
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that you can play with 8 people if you use the Overlord scenarios. This requires one person be the 'General' on both sides who doles out Command cards and suggested orders.

Unfortunately, Overlord scenarios require 2 sets of the game.

Perhaps others have experience of playing M44 multiplayer with one set?

A fellow lover of WW2 history and Memoir,
Bert
www.dreifuss.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
How old are the kids?

I would have them study the background of each battle before they play it. It might be interesting to have each side look at the background from that sides perspective?

Right, overlord would be the way to go. In that case you could have 8 people playing with 2 boards. You could also play a single board with three people per side. One person to play cards and run the center (and grey cards), and the others to play the sides. This would lead to less action for each student, but it could get for some good strategy discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m not a teacher, but I do work at a club for kids aged 10-14, and though I haven´t played Memoir at work, Ticket to Ride Europe has given some new meaning to geography for a lot of the kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I might be missing the point here, but I can't really see how M44 could be very valuable at all as a teaching aid.

Maybe somebody could fill me in if I'm overlooking something obvious.

ps.

Quote:
How to Teach with Memior 44

See me after class regarding your atrocious spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could find a balance between the battles and pair the kids up to reenact WWII. 28/2=14, so pick the 14 most important battles.

Each pair would get a battle and have to write a report on it from the perspective of one side or the other. Then the pair would have to play out the battle and see who won. Then you could tally up the wins and losses and see which side won the war.

As an incentive, you could take all the german winners and all the american winners and include them in an overlord game.

Another assignment would be to have the students play out a battle and then do a creative writing project based on what happened in their game such as:
1. A history of their battle from their side's perspective (filling in the gaps as to why the left flank didn't see any action)
2. The script for a short film based on their battle
3. Analysis of the difference between their battle and the real one
4. A poem ala charge of the light bregade
5. A newscast from an embedded reporter
6. Design a new scenario based on a small and little known battle complete with historical briefing and map/troop layout
7. A stop-motion short that recreates their game (so that you can see the troops move and using colored cotton balls the make explosions)
8. An analysis of the best strategy for that battle based on a minimum of ten plays
9. A war diary based on the experiences of one game piece.

You could also talk about how the battles are connected and what might have happened if any of them had ended differently.

Just some ideas, back to work....

[formatting edit for readability]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tenhoff
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple questions that would help us:

What age group is the class?
What subject or subjects are you trying to cover with this project?

This can obviously be a history assignment. However, it can also be easily made into an assignment on note taking (play the game, take notes, then write a summary of what you did), short story writing (write a story based on a soldier or leader fighting the battle), reading assignment (read a book on this battle before / after playing the game. Of course to get a good selection of books, you may have to limit the battles to major events, D-Day, Bulge, Stalingrad). If you have two sets and play an Overlord Scenario, it can be an effort in team building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael crow
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I gave this to my 9 year old nephew for christmas this year and he loves it. He likes WWII history a lot though. I can't see this gaming being used as a teach aid, but it might get more kids interested in the subject. So maybe play out a few scenarios and then go into a lesson on those particualr happenings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to learn things is to teach it. In the case of Memoir'44, it is amazing how much you learn about history and particular battles if you attempt to create a scenario for the game. You learn about order of battles, the geography etc... For a military point of view, playing the game you learn about the role of the various units, the use of combined arms but also gain a better understanding of the difficulties facing the protagonists in each battle.

So sky is the limit in terms of what you can teach. I would be curious to see what you end up doing.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever looked at www.juniorgeneral.org? The guy is a teacher out of NJ that uses wargaming to teach his classes. There are tons of scenarios, paper soldiers & vehicles, and helpful hints on how to use "hands on" teaching via wargames. His rulesets are "convention easy", but very fun and each includes some history into the scenario.

I know it isn't Memoir '44, but it may work even better with your heavy classload numbers. I'm also a teacher, so I understand where you are coming from.

I hope this helps you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi54
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would see better each team composed by:
- a boy representing Hq wich is choosing the cards
- 3 boys, one for each area, receiving the card, i.e. the order, and moving/batling with units of his choice in his area.
This would provide a quite realistic situation.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.