Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old and I played last night. I got to 15. So did she. Looked up the tie breaker (least number of cards). She beat me by 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped playing chess when 5 year old's started beating me. Apart from that, congratulations on raising some fine children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying so hard to beat my nearly-4-year-old at Drakon. We have been ramping up the complexity by slowly adding in the different tile symbols, but by now we're at max power. I haven't been as nasty against her as I would normally be, and she keeps beating me. Ok, fine. I've been handicapping myself.

So in our game yesterday I pulled out all the stops. I was ruthless with the dragon. I tried to set up sneaky infinite coin loops for myself. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to how I was setting up my daughter to get dragon revenge. She saw it immediately. She hit 10 coins for the win. I had 0. I was genuinely gunning for a win every step of the way.

At least I can still slaughter her at Mario Kart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 yr old and I play Star Realms often. After playing about 25 games, I've managed to win about 8 times. It's frustrating but I have started doing better now that I've been playing the app hundreds of times. That does make me feel like a cheater but at least I'm doing better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to get out Through the Ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a lucky Father.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't know my daughter was old enough.

Pete (will try it with her)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toy
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got beaten by both my 4-year old AND his stuffed sea otter at Ring-O Flamingo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Loves Happiness!!!
United States
Eagle Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have lost quite a few games to my children when I've been trying hard. They're always smarter than we give them credit for and they know our secrets...
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I won my first home game of Machi Koro today. This may sound like the opposite of what you're asking, but since I've played it with family about 6 times so far...and both my wife and daughter are non-gamers, well, there ya go. (and had my daughter rolled differently on her final turn, she would have taken it again)

Hey, I don't mind losing to them. I'm having a blast playing and I think they're a bit more willing to play. That's not to say I throw the games. I try to win. I'm just saying I'm glad for their wins.

Sounds like you're having fun, AND you have a reason to ask for a rematch, HA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love reading stories like these. They really help me puff up my ego as I have never lost to a mere child.

It goes without saying that the ones who beat me are geniuses of a rare caliber and well outside the norm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Every master was once a beginner
badge
Every master was once a beginner
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing One Night Ultimate Werewolf with my game group. My 13 year old daughter wanted to play. I dealt out the cards and she whispered to me, "Dad, I got a werewolf. What do I do?" I told her that we would have to pick her to be killed if everyone found out. She let it slip to the group and we voted for her pretty quickly. Turns out she was the tanner! She fooled everyone at my table. Turns out she had been playing with her friends and working on strategies. I'm so proud of her cunning/concerned she can lie that well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Saarto
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These stories make me feel a lot better about losing a Splendor game to an 8 year old.

My younger son, 3y, regularly beats the rest of the family in Love Letter. Only rule he knows is that "if you have a Princess in your hand, play the other card to table". That rule goes for a mile in this game, yet the game gives you a (false?) feeling of skill mattering in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have lost to my son twice in the last three games. That one loss was due to me not being able to count to 15 doesn't make it better - and props to him for capitalizing on my mistake. The third game I lost to my wife, which is actually worse because she was just a tad too smug about it cry devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Savory Oliver wrote:
He just reserved one thing worth a lot of points, saved up and bought it, reserved something else worth a bunch of points, saved up, bought it...beating me by twice my score.
My daughter likes this strategy. It works well when the other players are fighting over nobles, and especially if one needed color card is scarce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting schooled by my eleven year old at Pocket Mr. Jack is always a fun way to spend an evening.

Typically, any story I have to tell has to end with the "I destroyed Dad" victory dance. Complete with mocking lyrics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually not surprised at all. Not saying all kids can excel at this game but in my research with learning and spacial reasoning some young kids seem to excel with tasks like this and throw in color matching and adults have a real threat on their hands.

I don't know if it has to with all the alcohol, stress, or other things that eventually cloud our brains but when I first played this game, my thoughts were, I bet 5-7 year olds could beat the pants off of many players. I think this too with Galaxy trucker, and blockus.

Congrats. Now you officially have a gamer on your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Actually not surprised at all. Not saying all kids can excel at this game but in my research with learning and spacial reasoning some young kids seem to excel with tasks like this and throw in color matching and adults have a real threat on their hands.
I think the referenced strategy "See high point card, save chips, buy high point card" is simply a very straightforward strategy that is easy for kids to understand. The idea of building a discount infrastructure and getting a lot of later points instead of concentrating on expensive early points is one that is probably beyond a five year old. So I don't really see this strategy working as a sign that a child excels at the game so much as they took the strategy that was obvious to them.

The strategy doesn't always work. If another player is able to build his tableau of discounts quickly and get his engine running, he'll often beat this strategy, especially if he can nab one or more nobles. But if the cards get locked up, like if red cards never show up, or if two other people are already fighting for the nobles, then you might be better off switching to this strategy and just focusing on saving up for big point cards. The risk is that if the game runs long, you lose, and if the other players get their engine running quickly enough, you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
[Even] in their poverty, they referred to their garden of necessity as if it were a hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
My 16 yr old daughter consistently beats my wife and me at Splendor to the point where I have accused her of cheating. I feel your shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got stomped by my 7 year old nephew at Vegas Showdown (3 player game) and Seven Wonders (7 Player game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "back to the grind" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
All three of my kids beat me. We should start a Beat Up by their Kids Parents Guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is the mark of an opportunistic player. Your days of winning an argument are short-lived. Wait until that child wants the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Bugaffi wrote:
I got beaten by both my 4-year old AND his stuffed sea otter at Ring-O Flamingo.

Around our house, I've been known to lose games to stuffed animals *ahem* virtual gamers. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
My younger son has *yet* to lose a game of Monad to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just lost a 3 player game of Tokaido, placing well behind my non gamer wife and my 3.5 year old daughter who can recognize the symbols on my character card well enough to know which spaces she needs to land on to prevent my special ability to fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.