Subject: First Time Playing on Thanksgiving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family knows to expect to play games when they visit, but my sister showed up with her boyfriend and decided not to warn him that he would be expected to participate. My sister's boyfriend is a very large, redneck truck driver. He was very polite and a good sport and decided to play with us.

No one at the table, including myself, had ever played this game, but we decided to give it a go.

We had 6 people playing, ranging from the youngest at 13 to the oldest at 38. We dealt out the role cards and in the first round my 13 year old niece and I were spies. The first mission team we all just approved since we had no information. The team was my niece and sister. I was worried that my niece might give herself away but she managed to keep a straight face as she failed the mission and accused her mom of being a spy. I must say I was quite proud! With the rest of the team selections I ended up on 2 mission teams and was able to pass off others as being spies. In the end the spies won on mission 4.

To my surprise everyone wanted to play again. We ended up playing the game 5 times in total. On the last play we added the plot cards to try to give the resistance players a better chance but in the end every game was won by spies.

I am not sure if it was just the people I was playing with or if we just need to play more often for the resistance to have a chance. A lot of the players were very quiet, and that often times made us think they were spies even if they may not have been.

We plan to take this game with us when we visit for Christmas. We will play with my family as well as my wife's family. We really enjoyed the game I just hope that we don't lose interest if the spies win too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played with the plot cards, so it's hard for me to say whether or not they balance the game better, but I suspect they do. I've played at least 15 times and I would say its about even on who wins. I believe some have said that Spies or Resistance will be favored to win depending on the player count.

We've had some epic games of Resistance with some great stories. My friend was outed as a spy with a plot card, but managed to convince everyone that the person who looked at his card was lying and a spy. Somehow, I'm not sure how, people believed him and let his mission go through unchallenged. The spies won that game (I was a fellow spy). It was almost beautiful.

I played another game where I managed to deduce who all the spies were. Unfortunately some of my fellow resistance players thought I was a spy. At one point when I had decided I knew who 2 of the 3 spies were, I told the current leader that if he put either of those people on his team, that he just outed himself as a spy -- because it was round 4 and the spies needed 2 fails to have any chance at winning (that would be their 2nd failed mission). He picked one of them to go on the mission -- the mission went through and there were 2 fails. The rest of the Resistance player, luckily finally believed me and put me on the last mission. We managed to keep all the spies off the last mission and won.

So good.

I just bought the 2 expansions at my FLGS. They were having a sale for Small Business Day. I got them each for 40% off MSRP. I can't wait to try them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't despaie: with experienced players, vanilla (what it sounds like you were playing) is unbalanced towards rebels with 5, 6, and 9, and unbalanced towards spies with 7, 8, and particularly 10. It's totally normal for spies to win all the time with less experienced players because it's easier for spies to blend in when no one knows how to really hunt for spies. I'd recommend telling everyone a few things before you play next:

1. Don't vote up without a reason. Rushing the game along only helps the spies, and there might be a better mission later. I'd say the biggest newbie mistake is defaulting to upvoting instead of to downvoting.

2. Question people on their votes. Looking at votes is a major way to get info on people, and questions get the entire group talking in a way that allows everyone to get reads.

3. Compare people's play to how they played as different alignments in previous games. Be careful not to box anyone into one style, bit pay attention to subtle tells like laughing or tapping.

Most everything else has to be figured out by players themselves. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
1. Don't vote up without a reason. Rushing the game along only helps the spies, and there might be a better mission later. I'd say the biggest newbie mistake is defaulting to upvoting instead of to downvoting.

Agreed, this was a problem initially in our group.

swmalone wrote:
The first mission team we all just approved since we had no information.

It's actually not true that you have no information - as a member of the resistance you have 2 obvious pieces of information, that you are a member of the resistance and that 2 of the other players are spies (in a 6 player game). Whilst that might not seem like much information it allows you work out how likely it is that a given mission will have a spy on it. For any mission you are not on it's more likely that the mission has a spy on it than is all resistance (assuming you don't have any other information) - e.g. a two player mission that you are not on - if it doesn't have a spy on then that means two out of the other three players who are not on the mission are spies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack elfrink
United States
McKees Rocks
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
I am not sure if it was just the people I was playing with or if we just need to play more often for the resistance to have a chance. A lot of the players were very quiet, and that often times made us think they were spies even if they may not have been.
A rule of thumb I say a lot is that for beginner players the spies win 9 games out of 10, for experienced players the resistance wins 9 games out of 10, and for expert players it is 50/50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the tips. It will mostly be new players for a while so I imagine that the spies will win a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.