Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you keep your games organized?

I find that developers tend to have several games in their head at the same time and I am no different. What are some tools or skills people use to keep everything organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just a hobbyist, but each game concept gets its own folder on the PC (for rules, graphics, card prototypes, etc.) and its own ziploc bag or shoe box (for minis, tiles, printed cards/rules, etc.). I tend to (incorrectly?) OD on theme and bits early in the process so I spend a disproportionate amount of time on the "make it look cool" aspects. But this is what sustains my interest thru the drier parts of making a design work.

I also collect links to rules or bits of games that had an aspect I liked, but weren't "right"'enough for me to purchase, so I can plop in with the rest of the folder stuff. I'm better at synthesis than innovation, esp. since everything has already been done before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep a different physical notebook for each game I'm designing, where I keep notes during playtests and ideas for further development. I keep separate folders on my computer for the digital files involved. I also have a box of old parts and components that I've moved away from, in case I ever need to go back to it or for use in future designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I have a "game idea" file I use to jot down any board game concepts that pop into my head. If the ideas for a single game keep coming, that game usually gets worked into a print and play prototype with its own file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A folder on Google drive, with about 30 folders in, in each on there's either a doc with some words, or spreadsheets with some kind of card design or something distribution.

Google Drive is good because I can work on it from anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have different games on different files. I also have a notebook to jot down ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.