Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » General

Subject: Can anyone convince me that I should buy this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Minnie Wimbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I first heard about this game in an email from a game retailer that I have previously bought from. There were some good looking promotional photos and the miniatures looked good.

I am a fan of pretty much anything 'Alien' (well maybe not the third movie), so as I wondered what to ask for for Christmas I thought of this game. Until I found this forum that was!

There are problems with the rules, issues with the cards not making sense in game terms, the card components are thinner than expected, the miniatures have to be assembled, they are made from resin, they might bend, sprue tabs need removing from delicate parts of the models, joints probably need to be pinned and sometimes the glue used doesn't work. There's probably more.

On the plus side I am an experienced gamer/wargamer and can interpret poor rules reasonably well and make them work for me. I could assemble the models but could also ditch them all and use LEGO instead. Don't laugh! I already have a Colonial Marines APC, Power Loader with Ripley, all the movie Marines from 'Aliens' etc. and many Aliens in LEGO. I could probably make anything else required from the little bricks.

So just how poor are the tiles and counters, how incomprehensible the rules, and how badly worded the cards? If I used my own miniatures is there a decent game in there fighting to get out? If a get a copy it would be the retail version currently available at £62 to me, a reasonable price for a good game, but not if I'm never going to play it more than once!

Thanks in anticipation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing this game really has going for it is the beautiful miniatures. If you're considering not using said minis, then I would skip this game entirely and instead pick up Space Hulk (fourth edition), which has a really good Aliens vibe to it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of us can't convince you, because we're still waiting for our games that we're owed from the Kickstarter. From what I've seen, the miniatures are gorgeous, but that's about all it's got going for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun run-and-gun if you don't overanalyse it. There are better games out there, for sure, but none of them have Aliens and Predators in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yog Sothoth
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are the lego pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minnie Wimbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
EyeSeven wrote:
Where are the lego pictures!

Seriously? If I knew how to post an image I would do so, but those camera icons don't seem to do anything on my tablet.

I had Space Hulk but split it up to use the figures in 40K. I may have to pay the price and get another.

If the miniatures really are the best thing about this game then that decides it for me. I don't want the apparent trouble of dealing with them if the game I use them in is not up to scratch.

Thanks for your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I believe in NOT rewarding bad behavior. If you read a bit about how Prodos is treating the KS backers I think you will find plenty of examples of bad behavior.

Buying anything from this company rewards their bad behavior. I cannot recommend giving them a damned cent.

If you like the figures, wait for them to hit the discount bins when the game goes tits up and sales plummet. Or buy them on ebay. The boxed game already was on some Black Friday sales at prices cheaper than us backers paid, and many of us backers, including myself, still don't have a fucking thing we paid for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minnie Wimbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
It is deplorable that I can buy a retail copy in the UK whilst KS backers mostly seem to have got nothing. Personally, I am not attracted by the miniatures. Had they been one-piece, or even just a few pieces, of injection moulded plastic then I would consider them. I've constructed resin wargame models before but I'm no fan of that material. When I saw that this was what these models are I had doubts about buying the game. Nothng I've read here so far convinces me otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well my answer is..if your a AvP fan..then its a must have
I understand the massive negativity around it.but that should be aimed at Prodos games not the actual game itself..yes the rules aren't perfect.and I do use other rulesets at times .but,also use these as well the minis are truly awesome.and im not great at putting fiddly bits together but I had no problem at all with these and I bought the warrior and predalien addons and no bother there either.just some good superglue and a few minutes patience...job done

but yes,i totally agree it stinks that retail is widely available now .when theres still lots of KS people still waiting..but as I said blame prodos not the actual game

ps ive got space hulk.its a good game but,its very linear and its kinda Same ish with this game there is much more variety and with further addons a lot more on its way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
France please...snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of the Alien movies. When I bought Space Hulk 1st Edition as it was first published, my dream was to play a game like this, but with Aliens versus Colonial Marines instead of Genestealers versus Terminators. Don't get me wrong, I love Space Hulk and its theme too, but for me nothing beats the Aliens theme.

And now with the Prodos' miniatures and game tiles, there was no question for me at all. I bought the game without to think twice about it. In addition I bought the Queen and a pack of five Warriors (which I use as Alien Guards - a tougher version of a 'normal' Alien Warrior). I immediately would buy a pack of Facehuggers, Eggs, new game tile-sets or Marines with different poses.

But I have to say, that I don't like the ruleset at all. I play with a ruleset I created myself and which is a mixture of Space Hulk 1st Edition, Prodos' AvP game and my own ideas. I bought plastic tokens for jammed weapons, overwatch, pings, flames, etc. I even wrote a whole background for my campaign "Terror in New Paradise" which started shortly after the Jordan family found the derelict on Acheron and I created the first Mission of it. For me the whole thing definitely works.

In my opinion You have to decide whether You really want the miniatures and tiles (of course You can buy the miniatures without to buy the game itself) or if You expect to get a good game in its entirety. If You want the last, I cannot recommend the game to a gamer.

EDIT: Of course, it was the Jordan family, not the Ross family. The father's name was Russ. I mixed the names up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minnie Wimbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Gary and BB, but the fact that you both (sometimes) use other rules to play this speaks volumes to me.

Gary - in view of what a car-crash the KS has turned out to be can there be any guarantee that any further add-ons or expansions will appear? If they are simply more resin figures then that doesn't appeal. If they relate to gameplay or scenarios then they could sway me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:
I am a big fan of the Alien movies. When I bought Space Hulk 1st Edition as it was first published, my dream was to play a game like this, but with Aliens versus Colonial Marines instead of Genestealers versus Terminators. Don't get me wrong, I love Space Hulk and its theme too, but for me nothing beats the Aliens theme.

And now with the Prodos' miniatures and game tiles, there was no question for me at all. I bought the game without to think twice about it. In addition I bought the Queen and a pack of five Warriors (which I use as Alien Guards - a tougher version of a 'normal' Alien Warrior). I immediately would buy a pack of Facehuggers, Eggs, new game tile-sets or Marines with different poses.

But I have to say, that I don't like the ruleset at all. I play with a ruleset I created myself and which is a mixture of Space Hulk 1st Edition, Prodos' AvP game and my own ideas. I bought plastic tokens for jammed weapons, overwatch, pings, flames, etc. I even wrote a whole background for my campaign "Terror in New Paradise" which started shortly after the Ross family found the derelict on Acheron and I created the first Mission of it. For me the whole thing definitely works.

In my opinion You have to decide whether You really want the miniatures and tiles (of course You can buy the miniatures without to buy the game itself) or if You expect to get a good game in its entirety. If You want the last, I cannot recommend the game to a gamer.

sounds like you have done quite a bit of work on your own ruleset..any chance of letting me have a copy? or putting it on the forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
sounds like you have done quite a bit of work on your own ruleset..any chance of letting me have a copy? or putting it on the forum?

As I wrote in another thread I fear to put "my" rules on the forum or to give it to other gamers, because I don't know if it is legal and I don't want to get into trouble with troublemakers like Games Workshop and/or Fox. The rules I created are a mix of the existing rules from those companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally understand ..you could pm me them though

but if not no problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deephorse wrote:
Thanks Gary and BB, but the fact that you both (sometimes) use other rules to play this speaks volumes to me.

Gary - in view of what a car-crash the KS has turned out to be can there be any guarantee that any further add-ons or expansions will appear? If they are simply more resin figures then that doesn't appeal. If they relate to gameplay or scenarios then they could sway me.

Hi,Minnie, well,ive already bought some addon miniatures..and I believe the next wave of minis are released this friday.which include the core minis which is helpful as ive been having a go about only 5 marines..which to me made the actual theme of the game an anomaly.let me explain,..the avp movie is based mostly in a pyramid temple not a spaceship but diversity is everything nowadays..so, lets say it was based on the aliens film...why only five marinesshake

but back to your question Minnie, I think they will release more stuff a lot has been made and as Fox pass things they will be made available.i did see a page from the kickstarter about time of release and there were new tilesets.including an aliens movie themed set [operations ..lab etc].so I think this is more about prodos gettingswamped and not upto the distribution side of it than content.but I will say [yet again]the figures in the game are brilliant.best ive got by some way

as for using different rules as well as the games rulesdoesn't that show how flexible the game is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minnie Wimbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
tootz wrote:
deephorse wrote:

Hi,Minnie, well,ive already bought some addon miniatures..and I believe the next wave of minis are released this friday.which include the core minis which is helpful as ive been having a go about only 5 marines..which to me made the actual theme of the game an anomaly.let me explain,..the avp movie is based mostly in a pyramid temple not a spaceship but diversity is everything nowadays..so, lets say it was based on the aliens film...why only five marinesshake

but back to your question Minnie, I think they will release more stuff a lot has been made and as Fox pass things they will be made available.i did see a page from the kickstarter about time of release and there were new tilesets.including an aliens movie themed set [operations ..lab etc].so I think this is more about prodos gettingswamped and not upto the distribution side of it than content.but I will say [yet again]the figures in the game are brilliant.best ive got by some way

as for using different rules as well as the games rulesdoesn't that show how flexible the game is?

Thanks Gary. It's not the miniatures that attract me to this game, nice though they may be. Heck, I'm very happy to use my converted LEGO minifigures made by a guy in Germany. He made every character from the 'Aliens' movie (my favourite) in LEGO, and they are fantastic.

I'm looking at the underlying game, and someone has already said here that I should perhaps look elsewhere. I don't see how being able to use other rules illustrates that the game is flexible. It's basically a bug-hunt in a confined environment, so any set of rules designed to recreate that should work to some degree or other.

I'm still on the fence here, but slowly falling away from the desire to buy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaos Phil
msg tools
mb
deephorse wrote:
I first heard about this game in an email from a game retailer that I have previously bought from. There were some good looking promotional photos and the miniatures looked good.

I am a fan of pretty much anything 'Alien' (well maybe not the third movie), so as I wondered what to ask for for Christmas I thought of this game. Until I found this forum that was!

There are problems with the rules, issues with the cards not making sense in game terms, the card components are thinner than expected, the miniatures have to be assembled, they are made from resin, they might bend, sprue tabs need removing from delicate parts of the models, joints probably need to be pinned and sometimes the glue used doesn't work. There's probably more.

On the plus side I am an experienced gamer/wargamer and can interpret poor rules reasonably well and make them work for me. I could assemble the models but could also ditch them all and use LEGO instead. Don't laugh! I already have a Colonial Marines APC, Power Loader with Ripley, all the movie Marines from 'Aliens' etc. and many Aliens in LEGO. I could probably make anything else required from the little bricks.

So just how poor are the tiles and counters, how incomprehensible the rules, and how badly worded the cards? If I used my own miniatures is there a decent game in there fighting to get out? If a get a copy it would be the retail version currently available at £62 to me, a reasonable price for a good game, but not if I'm never going to play it more than once!

Thanks in anticipation.

I wish I could but to be honest I'm planning on selling mine when it all gets here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silvershadow206 wrote:

I wish I could but to be honest I'm planning on selling mine when it all gets here.

I'm pretty sure I will be doing the same IF I ever get it all (right now still have nothing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deephorse wrote:

The rules are available on Prodos Website as a free download. You can judge for yourself how the rule work out. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of them. It's a mixed bag of great ideas, strange contrivances, and balance issues. They aren't casual enough for boardgamers and they are too ambiguous for wargamers.

The miniatures are fantastic, they are the reason the game costs what it does and the resin that is used is nothing like GW finecast or traditional resins. For me, they are worth the price of entry and the game they came with is just a half-realized bonus (assuming I ever get the rest of my KS addons). If you don't care about these truly fantastic minis, then why bother?

Sounds like you are really asking, "is it worth it to pay a premium for some tokens, cardboard corridors, and cards?"... Nope, it isn't, not even close, friend. Go buy some corridors on ebay for Spacehulk and use your lego minis on them... you will be happier. But as always, YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minnie Wimbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Shirley. That is the conclusion that I have reluctantly come to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
problem with the space hulk tiles are they are just single lane unless your just going to ignore the lanes and go tile to tile.?.in which case they are too small imo.opinions are divided as far as the tiles and compnents are concerned....but everyone agrees the models are truly brilliant.
I personally like the tiles they are big and really go with the dark moody spaceship theme.they are thick and good quality.my main gripe was the actual theme...its avp I would have thought a set of Temple tiles would have been amazing.but that's my personal opinion. but there are supposed to be more tiles down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
problem with the space hulk tiles are they are just single lane unless your just going to ignore the lanes and go tile to tile.?.in which case they are too small imo.

True, then I would recommend using tiles from Imperial Assault or Descent. The quality is much better, they aren't single lane, and are double sided. The tiles with this set are cool, but not of the quality/durability of FFG, and the second side is the same thing but red. Downside is: no infested tiles in IA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at scoring a copy of Sedition Wars? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125326/sedition-wars-bat...

It comes with double sided reconfigurable boards that form a large space station (sometimes the boards come a bit warped... mine were fine though). The rules are screwed up (but a digital fix was released that fixed the game). It also comes with a ton of minis and cool bases that you could mount your marines on. I think you can get it for $30 now on amazon or ebay (1/4 of the price of AVP). Plus you could sell the minis and get $10-$20 back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AvP does not use squares/spaces, movement and ranges are measured by tile, right?

If so, I don't see how the size of the Space Hulk tiles makes too much difference. If anything treat all corridor tiles leading up to a room/intersection tile as One Tile for AvP purposes.

You would need to rework the rules quite a bit to use Sedition Wars boards since the AvP rules don't use the squares and instead use tiles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.