Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Gamble
Australia
Hawthorndene
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all

I just got this game with the exp and am really loving it. But have a few rules questions that are bugging me.

1) Do I need to leave a pop cube on my home planet in order to Increase Population? I would say no but does that mean I no longer control my home planet?

2) Keeping on the home planet topic... Can other players deploy pop to my home planet. I thought "no" and im sure i read it somewhere but havent been able to find it in the rules again to clarify. Maybe im just seeing things.

3) If the Red faction (sorry cant remember the name) builds a spaceport on a planet but then loses control of that planet. Can the newly controlling player use the space port and build ships? It isnt really clear in the rules. My thoughts would be "no" as the other player doesnt have the research however a similar issue arises with the Clone Factories for the Theocracy (Purple faction). That specifically states that the "Controller" of the planet can use them not only Theocracy even though the other player doesnt have the tech. So why wouldnt the same apply to the Red faction and Space Ports?

4)When a player draws 2 combat cards for the Resistance it states in the rules... "draw 2 cards and choose one to play". Do you HAVE to play a card? in some battles it has been more benefical to the Restistance player to not play any cards. In one case, none were actually posible.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No, you don't need a cube on home planet to increase population. It happens because it is your home planet and not because you control it.
2) As far as I'm aware there is nothing that prevents others from deploying and using your home planet as any other planet. Just keep in mind that these planets don't give end game VPs
3) I think this principle goes through entire game, who controls it uses it. Similarly how when you fight Centurion resistance you can get some upgrade that you don't have research for and I thinkg same goes for WMDs as well
4) not sure on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Gamble
Australia
Hawthorndene
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Ok so if other players can land pop on your home planet that would also mean that you could lose control of it if they manage to get more than you. So unless you have control of Cloning Factory and Space Port elsewhere, you are pretty much out of the game.

Can anyone comment on how often home worlds get taken or is there an easy strategy that would stop this kind of thing happening? (except the VP cost)

Im all for "whoever controls it uses it" that seems simple and consistant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think cloning would be an exception to the rule "whoever controls it uses it" given that rules specifically state player gets 2 (+1) population cubes on their home planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Every turn, each player gains 2 population on their home planet regardless of who has a majority of population there. "Controlling" a planet in Exodus is a bit special, because the term control only applies for getting VP at the end and firing WMD (at lest in the base game). There is little inventive for other players to deploy population on one's home planet as it only provides resources. As for control matters, as long as you get 2 population per turn, it's quite hard for anyone to match this turn by turn and absolutely pointless.

As for Centaurian resistance combat cards, you have to use one of the 2 cards drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Gamble
Australia
Hawthorndene
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Would controlling an enemy home planet stop their ability to produce ships?

I've just played a couple of games so far but has anyone else found the bidding for turn order a bit lacking. Mainly down to moving first during the combat phase often being an advantage plus the extra combat cards tends to mean most people were bidding nil. Obviously this changes in the last round, but is this down to being new to the game or just how it is? The kickstarter cards help as there are some reactions that you really want to nab but aside from that it feels like your bidding to get less.

Also I thought you could only use captured technologies that are available to you to research so you couldn't use ship yards/clone stations etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
Would controlling an enemy home planet stop their ability to produce ships?

I've just played a couple of games so far but has anyone else found the bidding for turn order a bit lacking. Mainly down to moving first during the combat phase often being an advantage plus the extra combat cards tends to mean most people were bidding nil. Obviously this changes in the last round, but is this down to being new to the game or just how it is? The kickstarter cards help as there are some reactions that you really want to nab but aside from that it feels like your bidding to get less.

Also I thought you could only use captured technologies that are available to you to research so you couldn't use ship yards/clone stations etc?

You always gain population on your home planet and you can always build ships on your home planet.

As for bidding for turn order — snagging a reaction can be hugely important throughout the game. Additionally, some factions are dependent on having a certain turn order card throughout the game. Finally, remember that bidding for turn order is not an automatic high-bid-goes-first, but rather a matter of high-bid-chooses-first — sometimes you want to be the chancellor. Other times you want to be the vice or even later.

Personally, I find turn order incredibly important for purposes of reactions and using the market, not to mention moving last (if using Drive Power Movement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Gamble
Australia
Hawthorndene
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I really need clarification here..

I'm happy that if you don't know the tech you can't use the upgrade BUT...

in another thread Andrei, you stated that if you receive an upgrade from winning a battle against a resistance ship you place it on one of your ships immediately.But in the rule book it says the opposite.

"Any upgrades gained due to an effect of a card or any purchased upgrades require players to have researched the technology allowing access to that upgrade."

So the way I read that is you can receive the upgrade from the resistance ship ( being an effect of a card).. But you can't USE it until you research the tech.

Is this correct or is there an exception for the resistance somewhere in the rules I can't find?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall that somewhere it said that items gained from resistance can be used without having the appropriate upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Anything gained from the Resistance can be used immediately.
The rule you quoted is ambiguous - sorry about that - and it should rather state that if you gain an upgrade. it should be in your skill set (in your technology tree) in order to use it. So not actually researched, but researchable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Gamble
Australia
Hawthorndene
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Andrei.

So how does receiving a WMD from the resistance work. I can put that on one of my planets and use it without researching it, right?

If this is true then what happens if I lose control of the planet the other player can use the WMD only if he has researched the tech. But I then take control back of the planet. Can I still use that WMD even though I don't have the tech but it originally came from the resistance. I would say not as its too hard to keep track of but would like a clear answer.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
It works like you said, rewards from resistance are not connected with the techs you researched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.