Subject: Files included in Ostfront rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you decided if you are going to have a tiny print run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dundy O,
Still no plans for a print run of any size. However, if something were to change i will post accordingly.
Jason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,
thanks for the heads up. I'm not exactly sure why Sean's art quality is better (but i'm glad he decided to give it a shot I will say that i am learning as i go and feedback like yours is what will help improve our games moving forward. Admittedly, my weakness is technology based and to be honest with you, nearly everything i have learned to date has been self taught. Thank you for your patience, and your support. I will take everything you said into consideration.
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chemkid wrote:
Sean's files are much more 'vivid'! Your design was/is great but you should not compress the files you deliver. I would prefer the original design as created by the maker if the files where of the same vivid and high resolution quality! Please, if you need help or someone else to proof your files - just give me a ring, man! Love your work!

Kind regards,
Robert

Jason - as your release is <48 hrs away, I was wondering if you will be doing as Robert suggested and not compressing the files so that the image quality is the best it can be? Besides DropBox, there may be other options for email delivery like WeTransfer (up to 2GB in single email). Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked out wetransfer, thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also looking forward to seeing high quality images in the PDF in OSTFront. I am with Robert and was initially struck by the suboptimal resolution of the files in Platoon Leader, which made me wonder what programs were used to edit the graphics. Word, for example, is set to compress images by default, and so you have to change the setting beforehand in the preferences. Otherwise the images are just good to look at the screen but rather poor for printing. There are quite a few totally free but robust programs that can generate high quality PDF, such as GIMP and PDFill Tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Berserker,
Here the chinks in my armor begin to show. I am still figuring this whole thing out as i go and unfortunately figuring things out later than earlier. Half the reason i decided to use wetransfer was to negate compression only to find out Word auto compresses unless you change the settings and converting to pdf i now believe does the same. The level of frustration with this is beginning to mount. I have already stated that the tech end of game design/development is not my strong suit but it's kind of hard to use this excuse when there are people out there willing and able to help out. Truth be told i barely know how to use photoshop much less Gimp, hexdraw etc. so i typically use a program called Ifranview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,
I am not tech savvy either, but I have a feeling that Irfanview sometimes does not output the best quality for PDF. Maybe I am mistaken.
Anyhow, I actually feel quite comfortable with using Word for doing simple graphic stuff (like most of the files I uploaded to BGG). I just need to remember to do this:
File > Options > Advanced > (scroll down) Image Size and Quality > Check "Do not compress images in file"
The strange thing is Word doesn't seem to like this and I have to change this setting for every time I create a new file.
GIMP is a powerhouse but in fact you don't need to do anything fancy if you just want to convert stuff to PDF. Just open the images and then go to File > Export As ... then simply type the XXX.pdf and voila.
Another great thing about GIMP is editing PDFs is very straightforward. Just open a PDF and choose 300dpi for resolution which is good enough for most printing purpose.

I enjoy Platoon Leader a lot and I am now seriously considering buying ostfront. It would be perfect if someone can share their opinion in this forum.

Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete,
Can't tell you how great it is of you to mention Wetransfer. It works like a charm!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Berserker,
Agree with everything. I plan to convert to gimp and yes after reading about Word, you have to continually tell it not to compress. I wouldn't recommend Ifranview to anybody, its basically a ghetto version of photoshop. I acquired it for free back in the day and subsequently learned everything through it via years of tinkering and so am overly familiar with it by default.

Happy to hear you liked Platoon Leader. Again, Ostfront is a different kind of animal, not saying this is good or bad, just different. I too pensively await the first batch of Ostfront reviews as they will dictate whether the game lives or dies.

Thanks for all the information and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK so there's one impression which puts me at 0 and 1. I need a base hit here so i'm at least batting 500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick glance through the files shows some compression or perhaps format issues. I think part of the issue might be that everything was saved as JPEGs and then imported to Word for conversion into PDFs? I know nothing about Ifranview, so I could be wrong.

Rather than printing/cutting all those cards, I would prefer to submit files to Printerstudio, TheGameCrafter or Artscow and have them "ready to play". Is that something that would be acceptable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin, I think you have a good grasp of the problem.

Regarding your second paragraph, i wasn't aware of these options and will look into them when i get a moment.

Thanks
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news. The odd thing is that some of the pages in the various files have crisp text AND blurry text. Were some of the files created/edited and re-saved (as opposed to what happens if you edit the original file so that each "iteration" has the same level of compression)? Again, I am not familiar with Ifranview and do not know if it has a "native" (uncompressed) format - If it works only with JPEGs then it appears to be what happens when a JPEG is saved and "recompressed" as newer images are crisp and older images get more and more fuzzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes i believe that is what most likely happened. I've only recently begun to learn about compression, but i'm pretty sure i needed to manually "turn off" any compression like option within Ifranview just as i should have done within Word. It's frustrating for both parties as i have printed off many an item related to this game and was perfectly content with the result. So when i began hearing about compression issues it initially caused some head scratching but alas i am currently receiving some very generous help addressing the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.