Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to make sure we were playing this right, as Sister Agatha seemed to be the strongest hunter ally by a reasonably large margin. If the hunters are in combat with a vampire other than Dracula himself and a card listed on Sister Agatha is successfully resolved, does Dracula himself receive the damage? The combat rules make it sound like Dracula is the player of all vampire combat cards, so we assumed yes.

If the answer is no, could you point out where in the rules the info contradicting this is please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
If Dracula not a vampire encounter is in combat and said Dracula triggers the effect then yes. If against a vampire encounter then why would.Dracula take any damage. I would have to either read or see the card again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I believe it is not meant to affect him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Sister Agatha card says:

Quote:
After Dracula resolves "Escape as Bat", "Escape as Mist", or "Fangs", he suffers 2 damage.

My understanding is that this only applies to Dracula himself. It does not apply if the hunter is fighting another vampire.

It is confusing because the rules often use "Dracula" to mean the Dracula player, but they don't say that should automatically be applied to every rule and card.

I guess you could say that Sister Agatha applies to Vampire encounters as well, but as you say that makes her very powerful. And even then, the damage should IMO definitely be applied to the vampire actually in the combat; it would make no sense to apply it to Dracula himself regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good question, but I would go with Mark's answer. The rules say that Dracula controls the vampires in combat, but that doesn't mean that he is actually in that fight.

I do believe that Sister Agatha's card would cause damage to the vampire that is fighting, not to Dracula since he is not involved. I believe so because in page 14 of the Learn to Play book it says that "Dracula cannot play escape cards yada yada yada...", giving me the vibe that the name Dracula is being used in the same form in Agatha's card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note, in the official FAQ for the 2nd edition of the game, there is a very similar question that clarifies that she doesn't do anything when it's not Dracula himself in the battle. I don't have the exact wording of the card or the manual for 2e (and that's a separate edition of the game, admittedly), but it's sort of an indication that they might intend for that to be the same here as well. Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petar Petkov
msg tools
Quote:
"Some items, combat, and event cards instruct a "Vampire" to suffer damage. If Dracula is in combat, "Vampire" refers to Dracula. If a vampire from an encounter card is in combat, "Vampire" refers to that Vampire."

that is the rule from the reference guide on page 5 (Damage). since the card clearly states "Dracula" and not "Vampire", it ONLY effects Dracula. at least thats how it looks to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
It is confusing because the rules often use "Dracula" to mean the Dracula player, but they don't say that should automatically be applied to every rule and card.

The LTP does tell us that the rules are all written to assume Dracula does mean both the player and the character:

Quote:
Players as Hunters or Dracula

When playing Fury of Dracula, each player controls one character—one of the hunters or Dracula. When a rule or
effect refers to either a hunter or Dracula, it is referring to both the player and the character (hunter or Dracula) that player controls.

This is why so many rules say Dracula when they obviously mean the Dracula player. So I'd say Agatha works when Dracula is controlling vampires and the vampire takes the damage.

Quote:
that is the rule from the reference guide on page 5 (Damage). since the card clearly states "Dracula" and not "Vampire", it ONLY effects Dracula. at least thats how it looks to me.

That's just saying that 'Vampire' can refer to either Dracula or a Vampire, depending which is in the combat. It doesn't mean the reverse isn't also possible - Dracula can refer to the player, and in this case the player is controlling a vampire, so Dracula taking damage means the vampire he is controlling takes damage.

It would have been clearer if they just used either 'Dracula' or 'Dracula player'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so unnecessarily confusing. Adding or changing one or two words on Sister Agatha's card could have made this crystal clear. But instead the ambiguous card and inconsistent rules terminology makes this impossible to answer definitely. We will have to wait for a revised FAQ to know for sure.

In the meantime, my guess/choice is that it applies only to combat involving Dracula himself and not vampire minions.

That's just my stab in the dark at what they meant. It is quite possible they meant whichever-vampire-is-in-the-combat. (I think it is very unlikely they meant that Dracula himself takes damage from cards played during a vampire encounter in which he is not himself present.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the wording is poor and the emphasis on "Dracula" in the reference guide just makes things worse. Sister Agatha has errata in 2E for similar reasons, but there's no clarifications for 3E yet I'm aware of.

I believe that the rules as written would result in Dracula taking damage no matter which vampire is the one in combat. However, we haven't played it that way after the first time, as it makes Sister Agatha overwhelming better than any other ally. We've changed to only applying her powers involving Dracula himself and not any other vampires.

It would be great if FFG published a clarification on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Queree
Australia
Lalor Park
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in our game today. Did it ever get clarified? I don't expect it would ever mean that the Dracula character would take the damage, but we couldn't decide if the encountered vampire should take Agatha's damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Q wrote:
This came up in our game today. Did it ever get clarified? I don't expect it would ever mean that the Dracula character would take the damage, but we couldn't decide if the encountered vampire should take Agatha's damage.

I don't think this was ever officially clarified and the game license ending means it's unlikely we'll get a real ruling.

In our group we only apply her abilities to Dracula himself in battle to avoid making her overpowered for the investigators, FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.