Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
World 815
Players: 2
Play time: 80 minutes (not counting rules or setup)
Final Score: 35-26

This was my second play of 504, the first in this world.. My son, Carson, and I sat down to try world 815. I wanted to try all different modules than my first game, world 627. I thought that Production and Pick Up and Deliver might work well together. The third module, Exploring, didn’t really help the game, but I will save that for summary.

Scoring
Scoring was all in the Production Module, but required Pick Up and Deliver in order to actually score. Trading Houses could be built in cities and were required in order to deliver and score the goods. Delivered goods were worth more points as you diversified the deliveries.

Income
Income was the guaranteed $20 a turn unless you delivered one or more goods in that turn. Delivered goods were worth anywhere from $10 to $140 (our game had one good delivered at $70 and two at $60). The low income wasn’t terrible since most of the residents exhaust but don’t go away (they go away when you build a Trading House or when you explore a non-water space).

Gameplay
Scoring and Income were well integrated in this game but the randomness of Exploration made the game more difficult. At one point I wondered if we would discover enough cities to end the game. We needed at least 8 cities on the map in order to have one player build 8 Trading Houses to trigger the ending. This certainly is a minor concern in two player games but much less of one with more players and not as many needed cities.

We again didn’t have a lot of interaction since we each spread out in opposite directions. Eventually moving residents into all cities was needed and once my son was clearly ahead and had the requisite 5 goods traded he moved towards finding the final cities and building the trading houses, all the while still delivering goods.

Summary
This game was less fun that the first I played. It was almost twice as long and some of the searching was done just looking for cities. I don’t think this would be the case with three or four player games where players might be more interested in finding production tiles. I still enjoyed the interaction and expect I will return to this world, or one like it soon, but next time with one or two extra players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Croteau
United States
Drayden
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reports Brent. I am excited to read everyone's experiences. I have only tried the intro 123 game, but look forward to diving into the random combos like you have soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
581 probably would have been more fun for you!
That's a long one..but good.

582 is good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report!

Spielguy wrote:
We needed at least 8 cities on the map in order to have one player build 8 Trading Houses to trigger the ending.

There are only enough tiles to complete the board. I think the only way this could happen, is if you intentionally leave tiles next to cities unexplored until the end (as cities cannot be placed adjacent to one another).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
I intent to play that game but I have to ask you a question:

Does the resident who explores and goes back to the storage explores all adjacent tiles?? Because it says "any' and not "any one".

Maybe you did explore only one tile per resident and that could explain your lengthy search for cities?

This is only my third game as I struggle with the rules...

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
We only explored one per spent resident but it is clear that you could explore them all. That brings up some timing issues that I would like to see resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...it makes a big diference.

We played yesterday that game with 4 players. And all tiles were explored except 2 city tiles as there were 2 holes in the map adjacent to the central city. I imagine that with 2 players with the 8 cities requirement, it could have dragged. But our game went well: 23-23-22-20 witht the tie breaker 6 to 5. And rock went to 130...

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.