Subject: Creating you Command Deck... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
what is the best (and quickest) way to create your command deck? We played our first skirmish tonight and it took us quite a while to look through and read all the cards. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made a pretty snazzy excel-file that has all the cards and their texts listed and grouped by their keywords. Super useful for offline army building. The user can filter by the expansions he owns and print it out. I've been intending to upload it, except it uses a custom font for the symbols, so I can't. I could upload a PDF with embedded fonts but then you lose the filters. I could make a Google Spreadsheet, but then the symbols are lost again... I've been sitting on the file for months...

Online, I tend to use http://ia-armies.com/
Switch to Command Cards. If you have all the cards or only the Core, it's easy as you can filter by the set. Otherwise it's a bit more awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
Online, I tend to use http://ia-armies.com/
Switch to Command Cards. If you have all the cards or only the Core, it's easy as you can filter by the set. Otherwise it's a bit more awkward.

I actually like it a lot.
Problem there is: You can not edit your command decks after saving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneurin Kennerley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to do it offline...

Split the command cards into decks by cost, i.e. 3, 2, 1, 0.

Take the 3 pile and pick which cards you want (usually named for a particular character or class)

For EACH 3 value card offset the cost with 2 cards from the 0 deck.

Take the 2 pile and pick which cards you want

For EACH 2 value card offset the cost with 1 card from the 0 deck.

Count the number of cards you have (hopefully less than 15!) - take the 1 deck and add a number of cards until you reach 15.

With experience this process will become quicker as you remember cards... i.e. your deck might always include Focus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out my blog - Skirmish Strategy 101. I talk about command deck construction in there.

Generally speaking, where I like to start is looking at all the traits across my list, and how frequent they are.

Then find the best cards for those traits. You'll want to strongly consider including the cards for any unique characters you have, although some aren't great.

Then there's awesome staples like:

- Take Initiative
- Urgency
- Fleet Footed
- Celebration
- Single Purpose
- Jump Jets
- Marksmanship
- Deadeye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.