Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this for a bit as a filler. At first this seems to be a purely math calculation game. Later on I have found that it's not. Thats not to say I don't do any calculations - which I do - but there's other factors at play that changes the overall prices, and your overall style.

A couple of things to take into consideration:

Position: Very important!I'll pay more sometimes during the first and possibly the second rounds based on the positions I want to see in the 2nd the 3rd rounds. This is great to neutralize a potentially hazardous position. Even if I can't use the goods and I have to toss them I'll still do it.

Boats: If I keep buying the products even if I don't need them that puts my cost threw the roof yes. But, I'll get some of it back if I shut the other player out of the boats immediately or due to my better position in the later rounds. Also, the other player will start to sweat so you can start charging higher prices on them, thus forcing them to pay possible higher prices than you were a while ago, so in a sense equalizing the money (or possibly shifting the totals in your favor).

Those are two factors that you cannot easily mathmatically calculate - or to say the least, I can't easily calculate. I make my normal tactical calculation of immediate value based on immediate points of separation, future tiles, and future position. Then I use my gut for the other two factors.

This is just to show you that it's not an entirely mathmatical game. There's more to it - and I'll probably discover something more the more I play as well.

What are your thoughts on this?

Enjoy Gaming! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it's more than a math exercise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is Med. vs Stzi. Purely a Mathmatical Exercise? I Think
I agree.

The "math" is harder in Medici, but it's pretty straightforward.

In Medici vs Strozzi, there's a lot more uncertainty in that you might finish the round before the other player is able to obtain any goods. The potential for locking a player out can send bid prices higher than they should be, often resulting in negative income for both players (ending the game with less money than you started).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thompson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree. Those that are straining their brains, trying to do the math and "counting beans" so that they can make some sort of "profit" are completely missing the boat on this one. (Was that a joke?)

Anyway, one needs to think laterally on this game just as Kaizen Zanshin has.

Remember that in the end, a player only needs to have more money than the opponent, and not make over 300 gold. The price of a particulat "lot" of tiles is relative and depends on more than just the immediate monetary benefits, like say earning 20 gold for the highest numbered tiles at a harbor.

I like to refer people to the following article which perfectly explains and illustrates the concept that sometimes in gaming theory it is acceptable to "pay too much" in an auction and still come out ahead.

http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/Strategy1.shtml

Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is Medici vs Strozzi Purely a Mathematical Exercise?
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
At first this seems to be a purely math calculation game. Later on I have found that it's not.

kasuga3 wrote:
Yes, I agree. Those that are straining their brains, trying to do the math and "counting beans" so that they can make some sort of "profit" are completely missing the boat on this one.

Maybe it's not entirely mathematical, but it seems awfully close. In fact, I wonder if the game is broken or solvable to some extent. I have tried to come up with a formula to calculate the optimal value to use in setting a price, and to help decide whether or not to buy. It seems to me that there is an optimal Ideal Price that can be calculated for both players, and that if both players play optimally using this formula, the game outcome might be determined just as much by the tile draw than decision making.

Read the details and judge for yourself, and feel free to point out errors in my math:

A formula for calculating the correct price in auctions
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/223182

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.