Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So wondering about if I'd like to add these games to the collection and weekly rotation with my group.

B Sieged looks like quick defence fun but what do you think about it getting old and boring fast? Is there replayabliity to this? Considering it's $90+tax, I want to make sure we'll play it more than 3 times.

Mice & Mystics I've noticed everyone says it's great to play with your kids or girlfriend/wife.. So, what about playing with your regular group? Still fun? Too much of dice rolling and not enough strategy?

We get together once a week and play games such as, Dead of Winter, Pandemic, Cosmic Encounter, Shadows Over Camelot, Zombicide, currently on Decent and introducing the newly acquired Blood Rage this week.

What's your take on these games and fitting into a rotation such as what ours currently is?

Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only comment on Mice and Mystics. At first, I really enjoyed the game for its style, artwork, and fairy-tale story. But the game behind all that is rather trivial, there is basically no strategy at all, and 90% of the game time will be spent on fighting monsters with a very simple combat system. It's nice for the story, but the gameplay is so forgettable and repetitive that my wife and I considered simply reading the story to its end without playing.

Plus, the game has one of the worst structured rulebooks I have ever seen, and it makes gameplay a lot more confusing and complicated than it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two people in my group weren't overly fond of M&M. I let one borrow my copy so he could play with his daughter, and he gave it back after playing a number of scenarios but not completing the campaign. Those reports have made it difficult for me to want to sit down and play it as well. At this point, if I'm playing a campaign, it is Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
M&M is good with kids or newer gamers who maybe played RPGs at some point but never got into board games. I like the narrative elements and the world, but, as stated already, it's a very simple game. Based on what your group tends to play, I don't know that they will be that into it. I prefer Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Much lighter narrative, easy to learn gameplay, but with more complexity and challenge to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suicide Kings wrote:
So wondering about if I'd like to add these games to the collection and weekly rotation with my group.

B Sieged looks like quick defence fun but what do you think about it getting old and boring fast? Is there replayabliity to this? Considering it's $90+tax, I want to make sure we'll play it more than 3 times.

Mice & Mystics I've noticed everyone says it's great to play with your kids or girlfriend/wife.. So, what about playing with your regular group? Still fun? Too much of dice rolling and not enough strategy?

I played it with my parents during our weekly get-togethers when I was living within an hour of them. I'm currently replaying it in a solo campaign. Really depends on the group, but it worked in that context when we typically played Euros.

It's story focused, like most of the games you list as being in your rotation, so it's the right genre for your group, certainly, but it's a family weight story focused dungeon crawl. It's sufficiently story lead that if it's right for your group really depends on if your group likes the idea of playing through a fairly linear, pre-written, story.

Does playing the board game equivalent of a good JRPG (i.e. well paced cutscenes giving narrative hooks for the combat that is the majority of the gameplay content, rather than modern Square-Enix's 5 hours of cutscenes to every 1 hour of gameplay) appeal to you, basically, when that story is clearly aimed at 8 year olds (But in a well written, enjoyable by adults, way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll end up passing on both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Mice and Mystics is fantastic as a story, and great for people who aren't gamers to get into, but if your group is already playing heavier games, you probably won't want to play through the whole campaign, which means you aren't going to get a lot out of it. Imperial Assault would be a much better campaign game for a fixed gamer group of adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.