David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Geeks,

I will be in NYC in mid Feb for a wedding. Would like everyone opinion of which game store I should visit while I am there. The only one on my list so far is The Complete Strategist.

I play just about everything but collects Sci-Fi & Fantasy theme games.

Thanks,
-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think there are really only 2 game stores in manhattan, compleat strategist and neutral ground. forbidden planet is mainly a comic book store, but they used to have a very small selection of games in the upstairs room, dunno if they still do or not. and expect to pay full retail at all the stores. for selection, compleat strategist is definitely the best.

http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/index.asp?PAGEACTION=CO...
The Compleat Strategist New York City Location
11 East 33rd Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenue)
New York, NY 10016
212-685-3880
Hours: Monday-Wednesday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday-Saturday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Thursday - 10:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sunday - Closed

http://neutralground.com/about.php
Neutral Ground
122 West 26th Street. 4th fl. NY, NY 10001
Phone: (212) 633-1288
Fax: (212) 633-0979

Store Hours
Monday - Wednesday --- Noon -10pm
Thursday - Friday --- Noon - Midnight
Saturday 10am - 10pm (new hours)
Sunday Noon - 6pm (new hours)

http://www.forbidden-planet.org/Stuff/fp_store.html
840 Broadway
New York, NY 10003
(on the corner of 13th & B'way)
(212) 473-1576
Store Hours
Sun. 11:00 am-8:00 pm
Mon.-Sat. 10:00 am-10:00 pm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't visit any.

You will be paying AT LEAST MSRP, often more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Don't visit any.

That's not good advice - maybe if had you said don't buy from any, then I would agree !

Visit the Compleat Strategist, it's really an amazing store, worth it just to see such a wide range of stuff! Personally, I just bought a small game from them, yes it was more that I could have got it online, but not much, and that wasn't really the point. There was stuff there that I have never seen anywhere before, awesome sight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Don't visit any.

That's not good advice - maybe if had you said don't buy from any, then I would agree !

Visit the Compleat Strategist, it's really an amazing store, worth it just to see such a wide range of stuff!

OK, if its that amazing a store, is he going to be able to NOT buy something?! At outrageous prices!?

I'm saving Buyers Remorse here.

Don't visit any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if they carry the more modern games, but just for the experience, you still might want to check out F.A.O. Scwhartz:

www.fao.com

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laiernie wrote:

http://neutralground.com/about.php
Neutral Ground
122 West 26th Street. 4th fl. NY, NY 10001
Phone: (212) 633-1288
Fax: (212) 633-0979

Store Hours
Monday - Wednesday --- Noon -10pm
Thursday - Friday --- Noon - Midnight
Saturday 10am - 10pm (new hours)
Sunday Noon - 6pm (new hours)

Neutral Ground is a great store, and the owner is one of the best guys you'll ever want to meet. Its focus is more card and roleplaying than boardgames, but it's huge, well run, and worth the visit.

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just looking for a selection of boardgames, then I don't suggest making a special trip to Neutral Ground. (Its hugeness is due to the amount of playing space, not the store selection.) However, it's not that far from the Strategist, so if you have enough time you can walk there after visiting the Strat (which is absolutely worth a visit, even if you don't buy anything).

Sometimes unusual OOP stuff magically appears on the shelves of the Strat after having been buried underneath something or in the basement for years. You never know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
I'm not sure if they carry the more modern games, but just for the experience, you still might want to check out F.A.O. Scwhartz:

www.fao.com

Clark

FAO Schwartz is no longer the World of Wonder it was, since coming back from bankruptcy. Don't feel you have to make it there. For a gamer, Compleat Strategist is much more awe inducing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G A
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I usually buy over the net now, I have shopped on and off at the Compleat Strategist since about 1980. You're going to pay sticker price but their selection of games is impressive. Even if you don't buy there its fun just to browse, especially if you like miniatures. They have glass cases full of well painted miniatures. They also stock gaming magazines, dice, paints, pretty much whatever a gamer would be looking for. The staff are pretty nice and don't mind you browsing for as long as you like. The store is also easy to find. It's only about 200 feet from the Empire State Building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laiernie wrote:
i think there are really only 2 game stores in manhattan, compleat strategist and neutral ground. forbidden planet is mainly a comic book store, but they used to have a very small selection of games in the upstairs room, dunno if they still do or not. and expect to pay full retail at all the stores. for selection, compleat strategist is definitely the best.

Wow, Thanks for the complete write up. last time I was at the forbidden planet was over 6 years ago. Will hit it to see what cool stuff they have.
Will hit both strategist and neutral ground, as they are not too far from each other.

Geosphere wrote:
Don't visit any.

You will be paying AT LEAST MSRP, often more.

(GRIN) been talking to my wife?

Don't mind paying MSRP or more if its something I can't find elsewhere. I usually go to find stuff I want to add to my collection. You just don't get the same feeling for a game without touching and eyeballing the box. I usually only buy regularly stocked games when I could purchase them at 30% discount or more.
Some purchases on trips are purely business deals : last year I was able to purchase 8 copies of Eagle Games - War! Age of Imperialism in Austin from a company going out of business for $10 each. Keep one for myself and sold the rest for a tidy profit.
Also found a Talisman (third edition) for $25.

CDRodeffer wrote:

www.fao.com

Clark

Didn't know that they are still around in the city, the one down here in Miami closed a few years ago.

Thanks for the feedback, will reply here in a few weeks to let you folks know what goodies I brought back.

-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leo
United States
New England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in NYC the day before Thanksgiving and stopped in at the Strategist. I was looking to purchase Gulo Gulo for our freinds kids but they didn't have it. I had asked one of the employees there about GG and he said they were out of stock and offered to order the game for me. Actually, he was very friendly which can be a rarity @ a LGS these days. I ended up purchasing Chicken Cha Cha Cha there and yes it was more than you would pay online. But I felt the service was above par for a game store, then i got to thinking about how much these guys must pay for rent etc.. and that helped justify my purchase.

This place is at least worth the visit. Vast Selection.
Have fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools

Neutral Ground has a better atmosphere and nicer space, but it has less stock and is more popular with the CCG crowd. Nice big space means you can wander around the stock and talk with someone coming in with.

Compleat Strategist has an amazing inventory for the size of the store - it has more than most stores 3 or 4 times its size - but I've always found the vibe a bit off. Not the kind of place I'd want to hang out or spend time browsing through with anyone. If you want to browse on your own, you'll probably find that enjoyable just because of the vast variety of items you'll find. They might even have an old copy of Talisman as well.

In summary: I enjoy going to Neutral Ground more and spending time there, but find myself more often buying something at Compleat Strategist simply 'cause it's not available at Neutral Ground.

Oh, P.S. - do NOT, under any circumstances, go to FAO Schwartz. It's like that annoying Disney ride with all the kids singing. Shudder. And the only games you'll find there are Risk, Monopoly, etc. And you'll pay well above MSRP. Waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.