Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Do Held cards count when you are trying to match
your action cards to the 3 drawn Story phase cards?

I mean you can't match all the type of actions listed
in the drawn story phase cards ie Look Hide etc

So can you or must you select from your
cards in Holding in an attempt to match them?

Or do I just don't understand Held cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold cards have to be drawn out when you are drawing your cards for you hand or at the start of a phase.

If you draw your cards but can't match the story cards you wouldn't be allowed to draw those cards because you needed to draw them in step one of the turn. Take a look at the turn sequence on page 16.

You can also draw them at the start of a phase, after action cards are flipped over, but before anyone does anything for the phase.

Putting cards in hold or removing from hold will change initiative for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules with me, but if I recall correctly, you can take back held cards into your hand at any time, other than some turn interruption instances. So after the story cards are revealed, you can take any number of held cards into hand and then have them available to play like with the other cards. Gives you more options with more cards to choose from, and it might give you initiative too.

But you can't use of them unless you take them into your hand. Then you can't put them back, as they become just like other cards in you hand and discarded at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the rules section for Hold:

Honestly, holding cards is usually very rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it doesn't come up all that often because you have to have played that leader soldier's card to be able to take the Hold action with him. Some leaders with a Hold value only have 1 card they can use to Hold, while some have 2 cards and others actually have no cards (which is odd and annoying).

Then even if the card is available to play, it also has to be the right situation where it's helpful. Holding kill cards is nice to have fewer kill cards available when you draw for damage to your soldier, but not helpful when you want them available to draw while in combat contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that during all the games we've played, Holding a card has only come up once or twice. It's not that common, so don't worry about it the first few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have plenty of German soldiers who not only Draw cards
but also have the ability to Hold cards.

I use that ability all the time to Hold my excess action cards.
If I draw 7 cards becz I have two Germans who each draw 2 cards
and one allows me to Hold 2 cards, I will do so. I'll put 2 into
Hold if I can maintain Initiative becz I've still got 5 cards to
the Americans 3 cards.

I don't understand why you say Holding cards is uncommon.
Don't you have Germans who Draw and Hold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's uncommon because you can only use the holding soldier's Hide card (with their dog tag)to take the Hold action. So it's mostly about the timing of actually drawing that soldier's card at the beginning of the turn and also having a phase card available that turn to be able to play it on, and also that it would be a better action than some other one you could do that phase.

You don't automatically get to hold cards just because you soldier has Hold 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Greg said and I also believe I have a soldier that can Hold a card but doesn't have a Hide action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce E. Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Back in 2012 I asked the question about the "anomaly" of having leaders who have Hold ability, but no Hide card with their dog tag. It would seem to me that such a leader could ever Hold a card. Jeff responded that it was no anomaly, but that future story cards and tactics panels would enable such a soldier to have the opportunity to Hold card/s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to find an example, so I pulled out my US Paras. The first leader I looked through is thus:

Tech Sergeant (8pts) has Hold 1 with Look, Shoot, Shoot cards
Staff Sergeant (5pts) has Hold 1 with Look, Look, Look cards
PFC (2pts) has no Hold with Shoot, Move, Look cards
BASE: Look, Shoot, Shoot, Move

No Hide cards at all, he cannot use his Hold ability at any rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Todd, like Springers said, Jeff had commented a few years ago that it's meant to be like that sometimes, as the modules may allow some Hold actions for soldiers that don't have a Hide card. Kind of lame to get excited to see a Hold value on a card, but no Hide cards, and then have to get the right module to allow him to Hold. Though, as long as the Hold value isn't part of his cost now, it's not as bad, just pretend it's not there I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.