Bartek Łojewski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mb
We've just finished our second campaign in Kingdom Death: Monster with my brother and while we are already preparing for the third one, I really wanted to find something different, that would scratch a similar itch.

So, we are looking for a game with:

- very strong narrative elements, preferably a campaign
- character development
- choice
- co-op gameplay that would be compatible with two players

I read about Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients but it seems the consensus among players is that it's very rough and unbalanced.

Would you guys have any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor meets all requirements, but character development is only minor. The story element is strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth (with the modules and updated rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set might meet some of your requirements ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can twiddle your thumbs for a while, The 7th Continent will eventually be released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Selwood
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven isn't out for a little while still, but this should tick all of your boxes.

Due next year, assuming there aren't too many of the standard Kickstarter delays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IF you don't mind playing two characters each, Darkest Night (First edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 2 that came to mind are Robinson Crusoe and Mage Knight, (my top games :-D ) While they may not tick every box, they are both great co-ops

Robinson Crusoe has a very strong theme, has different playable scenarios and with the expansion I believe they included campaign style scenarios (don't quote me on that)

There is not much on the character development side

As for choices, there are plenty

Co-op, plays well 1-4

Mage Knight

This game is a bit of a beast, but it has such rewarding game play

The narrative is not super strong, but I think it works okay.

There is definite character development, as your character gets stronger as the game goes on.

Choice, well this one definitely has choices, you really need to plan your movements well and choose what actions you will take carefully. This may cause AP, just a heads up

Mage Knight can be played solo, co-op or competitively. would recommend sticking to 1-2 players for this, maybe 3 players if you don't mind a really long game.

Both of these games are more Euro based, but had a very thematic feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ousedaled wrote:
Gloomhaven isn't out for a little while still, but this should tick all of your boxes.

Due next year, assuming there aren't too many of the standard Kickstarter delays.

Agree with this one as well as Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift and Sword & Sorcery. Neither is quite as expansive as gloomhaven, but offer a lot of campaign. And you will have to wait a while since they are kickstarters.

I'll have to disagree with Mage Knight, sorry Nicole . No campaign, scenario driven. Character progression is redone every scenario. The coop feels artificial and most of the time you're doing your own thing. I really don't like MK, but my bias aside, it doesn't meet your requirements imo. That's just me, plenty of people love it

I have decided to avoid Brimstone. You could look into Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.