Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Photo finish rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michiel Tyncke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't onderstand the photo finish card.
Can somebody explain it please?
I'm not English, but the rules are only in English
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
If I recall, it allows the 2nd place horse to win under specific circumstances.

Right after the 1st horse crosses the finish line, someone can play Photo Finish on the horse whose turn is up next. If that horse crosses the finish line during that turn, it will be considered 1st place, and the horse that finished first will now be considered the 2nd place horse.

Basically, the card is meant to simulate a very close finish where it looks at first like one horse won, but after reviewing the photo evidence it turns out that the other horse actually won.

I hope that makes sense.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
Right after the 1st horse crosses the finish line, someone can play Photo Finish on the horse whose turn is up next.


We are a bit more liberal in our interpretation of the poorly written English in the rulebook. We interpret it as as long as no other horse has crossed the finishing line. It gives the card a bit more oomph, or else it is pot luck who is sitting next to the player whose horse has just crossed the finishing line and it never ever gets played.

So...

Once the first horse crosses the finishing line this card can be played.

No other horse must have crossed the finishing line.

The card is played immediately before the move (before the die is rolled) of another horse that could potentially cross the finishing line within it's move.

If the die roll is enough for the horse to cross the line it becomes the winner and the horse that finished first drops to second place. If the dice roll is not enough for the horse to cross the line then the card is considered played and the first horse to cross the line remains in first place.

As we interpret the rule it does not matter that several rounds of play have passed after the first horse has crossed the finishing line before the card is played, as long as only one horse has crossed the finishing line when the card is played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mavis101 wrote:
As we interpret the rule it does not matter that several rounds of play have passed after the first horse has crossed the finishing line before the card is played, as long as only one horse has crossed the finishing line when the card is played.

That's more liberal than I'd be willing to play it. A photo finish in the same turn seems reasonable. A photo finish with a horse that finishes after the first horse and rider have made their way to the winner's circle? I can't see that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Mavis101 wrote:
As we interpret the rule it does not matter that several rounds of play have passed after the first horse has crossed the finishing line before the card is played, as long as only one horse has crossed the finishing line when the card is played.

That's more liberal than I'd be willing to play it. A photo finish in the same turn seems reasonable. A photo finish with a horse that finishes after the first horse and rider have made their way to the winner's circle? I can't see that.


A not quite so nasty horse racing game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Tyncke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that makes more sense now!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.