Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only game I've given a full 10-point rating on Board Game Geek so far.

I never thought I'd like to play a card game or a board game solo. I tried this one solitaire to learn the rules so it would be easy to teach to my friends and became addicted.

Death Angel is complex without being complicated, but the rulebook is poor/unclear due to poor organization. You can learn the game from it, but I recommend using Universal Head's printable rewrite at Board Game Geek. This makes the game easy to learn quickly. (

Death Angel is very difficult to win. That's part of why it's fun. It's a challenge. Luck is involved, but making good tactical choices is much more important than luck. Luck is mostly your enemy, something to plan against rather than something you're hoping will help you. This creates an awesome sense of dread that feels somewhat like playing a survival horror version of X-COM.

The cards are very high-quality and harder to damage than the cards in most games. They feel nice.

There are expansions but I find them totally unnecessary. The game will keep me entertained for a very long time without them. I don't think I'll stop playing this for years, though I won't play it every week, or maybe even every month. If someone asked me to play it every week though, I don't see myself turning it down. It's highly replayable and great fun.

However, if you want to expand it, there are a few expansions available (get the Tyranid one if you only get one.) Also, there are fan-made expansions here at the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best coopr or solitaire game I've played.
valzi wrote:
the rulebook is poor/unclear due to poor organization.

For so many games over so many years it's always been like that. I don't know why. It's not like the concepts of editing and structure are new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
It's not like the concepts of editing and structure are new.

wHat are these editin 'n structire U talk aboot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful what you wish for. You don't want 100 pages of rules. You don't want childishly simple games. You don't want to punish a game because it has counter-intuitive mechanics. I would rather a game that takes a couple of play throughs to get right, than one that is stupid simple.

An obviously intelligent Geek reviewed Eaten by Zombies and declared it unplayable. Well, yeah, if you think you are going to read skim the rules and play it perfectly the first few rounds, you aren't. My kids and I almost had it down pat by the end of our first game. One single rule was frustratingly hard to grasp. But, we got it, and found the game completely playable. And, fun. And, really, really easy to teach, or learn by example.

I believe many reviewer's think that they have to make a comment if the game is more complicated than Candyland (even a game that scores a "10"). I've seen some really bad rules (Resident Evil, the Card Game shake), but even that game is playable. Just not very good. And, yet, others love it.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
has some unique mechanics and concepts. Not the least of which is understanding the game simulates a "rolling road" romp through the corridors and rooms of the Space Hulk. And, "moving" really only means changing relative positions, because the column of Terminators is constantly, notionally "moving" towards objectives. But, this is simulated by the Terminators staying in place, and the rooms and objectives "moving." Until I got that, the game made no sense to me. I'll bet most of ya'll got that right off the bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get that right off the bat, yes. There are much better versions of the rules written by fans. I'm not faulting the complexity of rules, just the poor quality of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Huh. I bought this game based on the solo play hype, puzzled over the rulesheet, watched some how-to videos, and still couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.

Thanks for this review - I'm newly inspired to give it a try again, after printing and reading Universal Head's manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be a weird one, I really didn't have a problem with the rules.

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are very poorly written for what is actually a fairly simple game. To put this in context, I found games like Mage Knight BG and Race for the Galaxy fairly easy to learn from their rulebooks alone. Death Angel didn't take me that long to iron out the wrinkles, but the rulebook didn't make it easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, except I haven't played those games. But yes, the rules aren't that difficult at all - just the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
I broadly agree the rules are quite simple (the biggest point that made me love the game), but the rulebook is... less than ideal.

At first the game seemed a bit messy, but after a few turns I had most (not all) of the rules right.
And recently I wanted to check a rule and it wasn't in the section that I expected, but was in the second one I checked.

I don't think the rulebook is what I would call bad, not "really" bad, but...
The rulebook seems to me an excellent reference book: I always found an answer for every doubt. Except sometimes the answer is not where you think you should find it.
It feels like (to me) they tried to restructure a reference book to make it easier to learn the game -thus somewhat failing at both targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I think while the rules are hard to read, they are well written with regards to completeness. I have never come across an instance that the rules did not cover. I have however had trouble finding it in the rules each time.

But overall I never refer the rules anymore, the game is really well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.