Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keywood Cheves
United States
New Bern
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that there was no news about future Firefly expansions in post http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1473933/gale-force-nine-desi...

I am a great fan of Firefly and live in Earlysville, VA where part of Gale Force 9 is located. (Earlysville is a small town that doesn't even have a stoplight but it has Gale Force 9!). Anyway, since there was apparently no news from BGGCON so I drove over to Gale Force 9 to find out for myself!

At Gale Force 9 I spoke with Sean Sweigart and he said that the map is finished but to look for more Coachworks ships in 2016. In addition, we may be introduced to "shuttles" and perhaps we will see more Misbehave Cards. I inquired about more Bounty Cards and Sean said they haven't been ruled out but they will not appear in the near future. Sean also mentioned that they are currently working on a Star Trek game for Star Trek's 50th anniversary, which I assume is keeping them occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the update, Keywood!

More ships and more Misbehave cards would both be very high on my list. Those are near definite purchases for me. I'm curious what the "shuttles" thing would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great to hear, KC! Thanks for the update!

More ship packs has been noted as a strong possibility before, so it's good to hear that they're continuing in that direction. Since GF9 worked with the MMO folks on the Jetwash and Esmeralda, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some of the dozen or so playable ships from the MMO:

https://keepflying.com/ships/turntables/verse-ships-recap

More Misbehaves would be very, very nice. With the Nav decks now rounded out to 60, another 20 or so Misbehaves would be most welcome.

I will be very interested to see how GF9 ultimately implements shuttles (if they chose do to so). That's an element that various custom-making folk have taken a stab at (with varying levels of complexity), but I don't think any of them have quite landed right. I want to see how the pros finally pull it off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great news to hear, thanks for checking in on that for everyone.
I have not gotten my Map yet, so i'm excited for it's arrival here.
as for ships, all are welcome, but i'd still really like to see their take on the ASREV. someone here has done an awesome job on it, but i'd love an official one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

I will be very interested to see how GF9 ultimately implements shuttles (if they chose do to so). That's an element that various custom-making folk have taken a stab at (with varying levels of complexity), but I don't think any of them have quite landed right. I want to see how the pros finally pull it off!

You and me both included!whistle

Be good to see how close we were...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping GF9 rounds out all of the "short" decks including Misbehaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Many thanks, Keywood!

Even if they stick with smaller expansions such as ship and card packs, there is certainly much that can be done to add game shinies. More Story and Set Up cards would be another easy add.

GWEK has shown us what can be done with all those "empty" planets. And personally, I'd most like to see the addition of Active Reaver and Alliance Players, with their own Victory Conditions and Crew Cards, since the number of regular players seems to be limited to five or so.

After all, what's an Operative's Sword without an Operative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a box big enough to contain it all, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was just about to post about more 'Misbehave' cards.

My thoughts being that they were definitely needed and wondering what the general consensus was...

...and then I saw this thread.

So, yes. More 'Misbehave' cards please. Loads more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe not TOO many more, assuming they're basically "more of the same."

One thing that I've toyed with (but never gotten to a stage where I wanted to share) was the idea of "escalation" in the Misbehave deck, where as time goes on, the cards get more challenging. This could be through cards that are, themselves, harder, or my Misbehaves that are like "For the rest of the game, all Fight tests go up +2".

Regardless, I would be very excited to see maybe 20 more Misbehaves added to the deck as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

One thing that I've toyed with (but never gotten to a stage where I wanted to share) was the idea of "escalation" in the Misbehave deck, where as time goes on, the cards get more challenging. This could be through cards that are, themselves, harder, or my Misbehaves that are like "For the rest of the game, all Fight tests go up +2".

Regardless, I would be very excited to see maybe 20 more Misbehaves added to the deck as it is.

Maybe a set of Misbehave cards that are more challenging/riskier than the base; but they start in the discard pile. That way they don't come into play until the first re-shuffle.

The biggest problem here is that there is the possibility that they are shuffled in very early in the game, which could completely wreck the game if it happens too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another method of increasing the difficulty I think would be that once the "reshuffle" card appears it takes +1 Misbehaves to complete a task. This makes it more difficult to be prepared for every outcome. You might want also to cap this... just a thought haven't played enough to really get a feel for the misbehave deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good ideas all around!

My original intention was that there would be, say, 15-20 "hard" Misbehaves, broken into tiers with about 5 hard cards in each. Each time you reshuffle, you add in the next five.

In theory, this has the net effect of making Misbehaves progressively harder -- but we've all seen games where the reshuffle card comes up two or three times early, and then everyone is shafted.

It also makes Piracy and Bounty Hunting more attractive (for better or worse) because those elements remain static.

Another idea I had would be that the game starts with two DIFFERENT Misbehave decks, the "standard" deck of 40, and a "hard" deck of 20 cards. If you chose to draw from the "hard" deck, there's some benefit -- maybe each counts as 2 regular Misbehaves, or maybe each comes with a payoff (almost like Universe's opportunities).

Over time, those cards might also get shuffled into the main deck, making it riskier.

And now I realize how very far afield from the main discussion I've gotten. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to add my $.02 to the Misbehave concept. There's some cool ideas popping up. So I decided to start a fresh thread for it rather than put those pennies on the track (on top of the others') and derail this thread.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21155488#21155488

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I am a big fan of the idea of expanding the Misbehave deck. It's the one deck to remain untouched since the original release (other than the straight-up new decks ... but even there it could be argued that those decks were increasing the Supply and Contact Decks overall). I'd be happy with even a "Breaking Atmo" style expansion of the Misbehave deck, just to bulk it up to the size of the Nav decks.

I'd also love to see the Alert tokens get some more love.

More ships is definitely a cool idea too. A range of what they do would be really fun, so the combinations of Captain and Ship have more meaning.

It would be interesting to see Personalized Goals in the game too. The key thing would be to have each have about the same difficulty while being diverse from one another (otherwise you might as well be playing the same goal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duffy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
One thing I'd like to see is a consolidated rulebook, everything in on place. It can be a bit annoying if you can't quite remember where to check something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If GF9 doesn't do it eventually, that's something the community could create ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A co-op scenario would be nice, as I suggested a long time ago. I never got around to doing mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

My play time in Firefly is limited, but a Legacy component sounds very appealing. Having wanted levels or Reaver presence carry over from game to game, or a contact no longer trading with a captain, could really mess with the dynamics of the game. On the other hand Firefly might be complex enough that a Legacy format like Risk or Pandemic might ruin the replay-ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to see what's in store. I would like to see more cards for the already existing expansion decks-- such as Harrow jobs that link with Kalidasa.

Also, does anybody know why there has been such a delay on the game mat? I see that a seller on Amazon finally has it, but is there a reason it's still a pre-order on GF9?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GF9 shipped at least one batch already. I know I got mine.

I have a feeling that they may have underestimated demand, so they shipped to the first batch of individual orders from their own site, now are trying to fill larger orders, and may be triaging orders from their site from after a certain date until later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Z
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got my game mat at the local FLGS last week (Waterloo, Ontario). Sits nice and flat, even in the corners. Material reminds me of the vinyl they use for projector screens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it need to be rolled to prevent folds? Or could I fold it up in a box and be able to smooth it out for play? I've got a bunch of stuff waiting on it to come in and am putting all my F:tG items in a Really Useful Box. I'm hoping the mat will go in without problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm sure a more experienced gamer than I will answer definitively, but based on the feel, I wouldn't want to roll it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using a 50l Really Useful Box specifically so that the mat fits in its tube. I wouldn't want to fold it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.