Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Fixating pieces to game board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nostra
Slovenia
Ljubljana (Colonia Iulia Aemona, Roman Empire 1st-5th century AD)
flag msg tools
John Company (2017) by Cole Wehrle, Sierra Madre Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UHU patafix glue pads (the white ones)

When tracking player scores (especially when the scoring track runs along the boardgame edge), or when tracking any other important data, I like to fixate my game pieces/markers, so that they do not move off of their spots. I temporarily fixate them with the help of UHU patafix glue pads. It´s a cinch to adjust their position.

I use them very frequently in games such as Twilight Struggle, Dominant Species, and Polis.

I use the regular white glue pads, not the white home deco or dark-gray propower variants, which might be too strong, and could damage your game. If you´ve never used these glue pads before, they are a bit like chewing gum, but less sticky, reusable, and won´t damage your pieces when used properly (see note below). You should test them out first!

In general, use just enough to fixate your pieces to the board and no more. Click on the hyperlink above and you can watch a video on UHU´s website to see the material.

Cautionary note: Cardboard markers are layers of paper stuck together. So, when using patafix with such delicate materials, use just a little dot of patafix placed in the center of your game piece/marker, not over its entire surface, otherwise you could peel its nicely printed surface right off the underlying layer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting, I can think of a few games that could absolutely benefit from this. Looking at you Small City! I think I'd be worried about damaging the pieces, have you ever tried blu tac?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nostra
Slovenia
Ljubljana (Colonia Iulia Aemona, Roman Empire 1st-5th century AD)
flag msg tools
John Company (2017) by Cole Wehrle, Sierra Madre Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wouldn't worry too much about damage if you hold to what I wrote. Of course, ultimately it depends on component material, but don't be afraid of testing it out, the benefit is just so great. I've been using the stuff for a couple years now and will always use it with particular games.

If the pieces are wooden, you really have nothing to worry about. The game boards themselves wouldn't be affected if they are good quality cardboard with a slick surface (like the Catan tiles), try it out on a discrete corner of your components, or an emptied punchboard.

No, never tried Blu-Tack, but according to wikipedia it might be similar. However, the amount of stickiness and consistency is pretty important. For example, I've tried Pritt's version of these pads, but didn't like it at all! Too soft and sticky, didn't peel off nicely.

With other glue pads, it will be trial and error. So, my recommendation currently holds only for the specific product I had mentioned (note that there are different UHU white glue pads).

These glue pads are pretty inexpensive and if they don't work out for your gaming needs, they'll come in handy for sticking notes, and similar.

By the way, I use the stronger gray type (propower) to hang my keys, fixate small garage openers to my car interior, in the kitchen and bathrooms to fixate metal/plastic towel hangers (so I avoid drilling into the wall), to attach thermometers outside my windows, on sharp furniture corners to protect those poor accident-prone souls. The stuff is just so handy. But don't use the gray stuff for your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.