Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
My newish group might get a 5th player next session. The group is on LY 5 and the encounter with The Butcher didn't go well (party wiped out - camp looted).

The only spare piece of gear is a cloth belt. The "four" have bone weapons and about 50% rawhide armor - nobody has a full set bonus yet (nor can we make one by trading or crafting). Our Survival Limit is "3".

The standard 5-6 player variant is +2 damage, +1 speed and the Life trait for the monster. For us, +2 damage, +1 speed is something like 85%+ chance of serious injury on the first round, with the odds of serious injury improving each round as we quickly get chewed up.

That seems a little steep for just adding one body with a Tooth & Nail attack

Understanding that the standard variant is probably fine for an average group mid-game, does anyone have any experience with 5-player early game they can share? Should we consider moderating the monster bonuses?

Thanks!

(Actually, if we stand in tall grass and manage to get Lion to attack someone with +1 evasion, I think we can get the odds of serious injury down to 25% the first round, but it won't stay there long).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i would do +2 hitpoints and +1 damage

after lantern year 12 i would up that with an extra 1 speed and +2 hitpoints

adding a 5th player however would make the game dramatically easier.

Maybe not at the start when all survivors suck, but later on the game would be extremely easy with 5 survivors and the standard rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James DeYarman
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
We've done 5 players with +2 life and +1 speed in the early years against lvl 1 lions and the results seem fairly balanced compared to four vs a lion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Arnold
United States
New York
flag msg tools
What my group's decided is that we play with the bonus life trait as written. Then, for each player above four, we add either a plus one speed or a plus one damage token to the monster. It's seems to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Landphair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Also I would make a strong recommendation that you don't spread out the rawhide gear so much. If everyone has 2 pieces that means you could have had 1 whole set. A whole set on one person is typically better than each person having 1 or 2 pieces (hoping you get hit in those places). Full Armor sets give you extra armor and the ability for rawhide is pretty awesome. Make the 1 or 2 people with full set of armor be a tank for the others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, dedicated tanks are almost always better than spreading out gear if there's not enough to go around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Buckley
msg tools
I agree with the above, especially if having the fifth player at the session is only a "sometimes" thing. Add the extra hit points as written, and then choose the extra speed or damage (maybe roll to randomize it), but not both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
landbearpig wrote:
Also I would make a strong recommendation that you don't spread out the rawhide gear so much. If everyone has 2 pieces that means you could have had 1 whole set. A whole set on one person is typically better than each person having 1 or 2 pieces (hoping you get hit in those places). Full Armor sets give you extra armor and the ability for rawhide is pretty awesome. Make the 1 or 2 people with full set of armor be a tank for the others

We figured that out, a little late. As it turns out, we don't have any rawhide pieces in some slots, so we're stuck for at least one more hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.