Subject: How is this game for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I really like the look of this one, but my usual group is just me and the wife. Anyone like to comment how this game is with 2? Thanks!

For the record, games we like with only 2, but which are probably better with > 2 include:

Caylus
Carcassonne
Blue Moon City
San Juan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's playable, but 2 really isn't the best number. I think you really need 4 to make the competition for different areas of the board work into something interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fried
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try it out on spielbyweb. I think it plays fine with 2. It's a different experience -- but still fun. It's such a gorgeous game, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Some folks rave about how well it works with 2 but I just don't buy it. My wife and I tried it and it was absolutely pointless since we could just wander off and keep away from each other's temples. There is nothing forcing any competition (unless you fabricate it).

[edit]
FWIW, I agree that all the games you listed as enjoying with 2 do indeed work well with 2 (except for maybe Blue Moon City).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this Fort Worth Gamers website that includes a 2 player Tikal variant that removes 12 specific terrain hexes from the game...

http://fortworthgamers.inluminous.net/mambo/index.php?option...

I also recommend playing this with the Auction Variant.

Here's how one of my two player Tikals ended...

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gamegrunt wrote:
Check out this Fort Worth Gamers website that includes a 2 player Tikal variant that removes 12 specific terrain hexes from the game.

Thanks for that link. It looks quite promising and I shall give it a try! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played this game as a 2-player variation (with my wife) although am looking forward to playing with more as I'm sure the strategy and scoring will be different. My wife and I enjoy it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed the two-player variant posted earlier.

The downside (taking a minute to remove specific tiles) is more than made up for by the upside (less downtime than a three- or four-player game). This game can really zip along with two, even using the auction variant (since it's just one auction per round, instead of two or three).

b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the four games you have listed that I have played (I haven't played Caylus), I'd compare Tikal most to Blue Moon City in how it scales. San Juan and Carcassonne I consider as good as or better with two than with more. Tikal and Blue Moon City are both playable with two but don't have the competition for resources/space that makes them great for 3 or 4. That said, I wouldn't want to dissuade you from getting Tikal -- it's a beautiful game and one of my favorites. It's not terrible with two but there are many better 2 player experiences, so I wouldn't get it if you'll only be playing 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Josefsson
Sweden
Lund
Skane
flag msg tools
Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges!
badge
I think it works very well as 2 player game, as long as your remove some tiles. I remove some different tiles than the Fort Worth Gamers recommend, but try their variant and see if it works for you.

When playing with my wife we often play without the auction variant (just to speed it along a bit). The luck of the draw when it comes to the volcanos can be very frustrating though, so I've been toying with the idea of a variant:

Give each player a volcano tile at the start of the game. Remove the third volcano tile. Each player can now as an option to, instead of taking a regular turn, play their volcano (thus intitating a scoring round). The third and last scoring at the end of the game plays out as normal (least points go first). A player must use their volcano tile at some point in the game.

One could even leave the third volcano (the "D" one maybe?) in the pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I thank you all for the replies. I'm undecided now as to whether to buy it. So nothing changed yet. If anyone could give a recommendation for a board game that plays REALLY well with 2, either by design or else it simply does, I'd love to hear it. Probably worth mentioning that I have a few of my Xmas games still wrapped, yet to try: Goa, Carcasonne Castle and Odin's Ravens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
I thank you all for the replies. I'm undecided now as to whether to buy it. So nothing changed yet. If anyone could give a recommendation for a board game that plays REALLY well with 2, either by design or else it simply does, I'd love to hear it. Probably worth mentioning that I have a few of my Xmas games still wrapped, yet to try: Goa, Carcasonne Castle and Odin's Ravens.

We have Tikal and like it, though we've only messed about with it once (with only two players too) and have a couple of pieces missing which complicates things quite a bit. I've heard Hive is a good two player game, though we haven't tried it. We are planning to get a copy though, so we can let you know how it goes if you like.

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Tikal too, and two players works fine with us. The majority of my gaming is 2 player with my wife, and others we enjoy include Louis XIV, Hacienda and Goa.

Hive is an excellent 2 player game btw..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played tikal several time with an opponent. We have enjoyed it.
The only problem i would see for that game played by two players is the fact that if your unlucky with your tile draw, you might feel the game slipping away a little to soon. Even if that game is not that well rated at two on BBG with two players, I would still recommande it.
But before you by Tikal I would recommand those games first played with two players:

Caylus
Carcassonne
Goa
Canal Grande

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd played 3 and 4 player Tikal before and played 2 player last night. We used the auction variant which I hadn't used before and I think that makes the 2 player game decent enough. I like Tikal anyway but we're both quite aggressive players. Sure there are areas of "strength" where your opponent doesn't go but that's partly due to clever placement of the tiles. Also the fact you're "paying" points to choose a tile and therefore go first, really adds I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wooden
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:

As already mentioned, Tikal plays really well using the 2-player variant. It's a beautiful game and I would highly recommend getting it.

My wife and I also enjoy Attika - it plays brilliantly with 2, but scales nicely up to 4 (or you can, rather uniquely, play two 2-player games simultaneously).

Mykerinos is another that we find works well with 2 (and even better with 3 or 4).

We recently bought Hey! That's My Fish, and have found it a real winner with everyone we've introduced it to. It plays fantastically with 2, and 3 or 4 is lots of fun. Don't be put off by the box-art - it's a great game for adults!

Jambo and Battle Line are terrific 2-player only games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Tikal 2 player

it was with my wife, and she thought it was great ( she won)

the game is visually striking and I found it was very relaxing playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
Check out this Fort Worth Gamers website that includes a 2 player Tikal variant that removes 12 specific terrain hexes from the game...

http://fortworthgamers.inluminous.net/mambo/index.php?option...

Oops, the site seems to be suspended. Does anyone have the 2p Tikal Variant from FortWorth Gamers and can email to me perhaps? Thnks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Pop over to google and type in this:

cache:http://fortworthgamers.inluminous.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=25

to see the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
apotheos wrote:

cache:http://fortworthgamers.inluminous.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=25

to see the variant.

Or just see that someone posted it in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/153410
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
apotheos wrote:

to see the variant.

Or just see that someone posted it in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/153410

Even better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.