Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
getting ready for our first game some night later this week, but must admit I really don't grasp the whole "surge concept" (and I will have to be the one explaining the rules)...

my wife and I are both veteran 2nd Ed players, so most of what's here will fall into place quite easily...but even after many reads of the "learn to play" I honestly don't get the surge ability at all!

can someone, step by step, explain it? thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Surge is a special ability of your character (or a monster) that they have access to when surge symbol is rolled (or cast, in the case of RB3E).
They aren't like typical "always on" abilities.

Surge symbols rolled (or cast) can be spent to activate an ability for that attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Some effects have a cost, represented by a surge symbol. These effects can be on heroes' sheets, on items, wherever. Whenever you cast your tokens, you may have a surge result (or several). As a combat action, you may spend a surge symbol to trigger a single surge costing ability, and resolving its effects. Or you may spend more than one surge symbol to trigger an ability costing more than one surge (these are represented by a number before the surge symbol, or by an X, where X means any number from 1 to infinity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
... and don't forget that in a given combat round, each surge ability can only be used once (if memory serves me right). So every time you start a new round (you and monster re-casting all your tokens), all surge abilities are fair game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
getting ready for our first game some night later this week, but must admit I really don't grasp the whole "surge concept" (and I will have to be the one explaining the rules)...

my wife and I are both veteran 2nd Ed players, so most of what's here will fall into place quite easily...but even after many reads of the "learn to play" I honestly don't get the surge ability at all!

can someone, step by step, explain it? thanks!

I expect your curiosities have been disabused by now, but this single mechanic is one of the coolest and smartest design changes in the whole pantheon, imho. It is basically what we programmers call encapsulation -- it allows the designers to dream up whatever they want as an effect, and nestle it into the core design without issue.

Really cool and forward thinking addition (brought over from Descent).

On the off chance another take would be helpful:

Surge results are just a currency that can be spent on abilities. A surge has no inherent meaning on its own, it is just used to trigger/fuel character (and item) specific powers.

For one monster, a surge might be a healing ability. In another, a surge could be a fire attack that does 3 damage. In yet another, it could be a lightening attack that has you roll the terrain dice, doing damage for every symbol that matches your current terrain, etc.

By the way, that last one is essentially the default surge power of one of the heroes (it isn't thematically lightening, though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Some effects have a cost, represented by a surge symbol. These effects can be on heroes' sheets, on items, wherever. Whenever you cast your tokens, you may have a surge result (or several). As a combat action, you may spend a surge symbol to trigger a single surge costing ability, and resolving its effects. Or you may spend more than one surge symbol to trigger an ability costing more than one surge (these are represented by a number before the surge symbol, or by an X, where X means any number from 1 to infinity)
so, the surge icon alone means nothing; I may have an ability requiring surge(s) on a card/item/etc. and would then need to use my "cast surges" to use/activate that ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
John_VW wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
so, the surge icon alone means nothing; I may have an ability requiring surge(s) on a card/item/etc. and would then need to use my "cast surges" to use/activate that ability?

Yes. If you don't have a surge effect triggerable (on your character sheet, on any of your assets, on any of your skills) the surge symbol is basically a blank.

But if you have any "surge" effect on your assets /sheet / skills, and you cast a surge result with your tokens, you can spend the result to trigger and resolve that ability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some enemies also allow you to spend Surges to cancel some surge or other ability of their own. I don't recall an example offhand, but it is worth checking for this when a combat starts, even if you don't have any combat abilities of your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into a monster that had two 1 surge abilities. Do I just pick one of them, or are both activated on a single surge token? Did I miss this in the rule book? An example is the Young Dragons event in the main event deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
johnb4bgg wrote:
I ran into a monster that had two 1 surge abilities. Do I just pick one of them, or are both activated on a single surge token? Did I miss this in the rule book? An example is the Young Dragons event in the main event deck.

They are different surge actions. During a combat round, only one surge ability can be activated per combat action, so, the monster spends 1 surge and resolves one of the two. The just activated surge ability cannot be used again during this combat round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. As a solo player, I guess I gotta figure out which of the two I'm gonna inflict upon myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
johnb4bgg wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. As a solo player, I guess I gotta figure out which of the two I'm gonna inflict upon myself...

There's a rule in the Unbreakable Bonds expansion saying you solve them from top to bottom when soloing / playing coop. Then clearly, you can go with self-infliction of the greatest pain regardless of this rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henke N
msg tools
1) Another question regarding surge abilities, let's say a monster has 2(2 tokens) stacked surges and also 2 abilities, first ability costs 1 surge and second ability costs 2. Normally the monster would use the more expensive surge ability however in my last game the 2 cost surge ability would do nothing against me while the 1 surge ability would. Should I use the 1 cost surge ability by spending the 2 surges or should I simply do nothing in this case?

2) Can I spend/resolve several agility symbols on the same combat action or do they count as different actions each time I use one?

3) would someone mind going over to the unbreakable bonds forum and see my question about a specific scenario. Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1852707/locus-swarm-defeati...
See 2 last posts in that thread!

Many thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liath wrote:
1) Another question regarding surge abilities, let's say a monster has 2 stacked surges and also 2 abilities, first ability costs 1 surge and second ability costs 2. Normally the monster would use the more expensive surge ability however in my last game the 2 cost surge ability would do nothing against while the 1 surge ability would. Should I use the 1 cost surge ability by spending the 2 surges or should I simply do nothing in this case?

2) Can I spend/resolve several agility symbols on the same combat action or do they count as different actions each time I use one?

3) would someone mind going over to the unbreakable bonds forum and see my question about a specific scenario. Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1852707/locus-swarm-defeati...
See 2 last posts N that thread!

1) You should spend 1 surge to pay for the 1 surge ability, then wait to see what happens later with the remaining 1 surge (except if it is a 2 surges token I guess, in which case you spend both).

2) I play that in general they count as different actions.

3) I have not played that scenario yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henke N
msg tools
urkary wrote:
liath wrote:
1) Another question regarding surge abilities, let's say a monster has 2 stacked surges and also 2 abilities, first ability costs 1 surge and second ability costs 2. Normally the monster would use the more expensive surge ability however in my last game the 2 cost surge ability would do nothing against while the 1 surge ability would. Should I use the 1 cost surge ability by spending the 2 surges or should I simply do nothing in this case?

See 2 last posts N that thread!

1) You should spend 1 surge to pay for the 1 surge ability, then wait to see what happens later with the remaining 1 surge (except if it is a 2 surges token I guess, in which case you spend both).

2) I play that in general they count as different actions.

3) I have not played that scenario yet.

Thanks for your reply
Anyone else that could chime in and help me with Locust Swarm scenario? See my earlier post in this thread! Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.