Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link back to the subscription geeklist: War Movies Monthly Discussion - Subscription Geeklist

Other than Pearl Harbor Day, TCM's schedule is a little thin for war movie choices this month. Here's a few:

Dec 2: In Which We Serve – 1942 – 3:30pm.

Dec 7: Task Force – 1949 – 9:45am. I’ll go with this Gary Cooper picture on the early development of carriers, however - war movies all day on Pearl Harbor Day, including two Why We Fight segments. If you didn’t see it in September, catch John Ford’s December 7th at 6:30 – a propaganda piece on the Japanese attack. Then break out your favorite Pacific theater game.

Dec 10: The Pride and the Passion – 1957 – 9:30 am. Cary Grant (!) is a British officer hauling a cannon across Spain to fight Napoleon. Frank Sinatra as a Spanish guerilla, with Sophia Loren as the love interest in the triangle. I may check out the beginning, just to see what these filmmakers were thinking, then move on.

Dec 19: The Dirty Dozen – 1967 – 5:15 pm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
Other than Pearl Harbor Day, TCM's schedule is a little thin for war movie choices this month.

Ooh! But some that really interest me on the 7th, though. Besides Task Force, which you recommend, I'm really excited to finally see They Were Expendable, with John Wayne and Robert Montgomery as PT Boat captains fighting a losing battle in the Philippines in the war's opening. Also Three Came Home, a rare WW2 film from a woman's perspective, as Claudette Colbert plays an American captured in Borneo in 1941.

I'm also fond of Howard Hawks' Air Force, telling the story of the B-17 flight that was to make its way across the Pacific, from California to be deployed in the Philippines. They eventually make it there, but the first stop is Pearl Harbor, and they left California on December 6 for an overnight journey...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
Dec 10: The Pride and the Passion – 1957 – 9:30 am. Cary Grant (!) is a British officer hauling a cannon across Spain to fight Napoleon. Frank Sinatra as a Spanish guerilla, with Sophia Loren as the love interest in the triangle. I may check out the beginning, just to see what these filmmakers were thinking, then move on.

They were having C.S Forester do their thinking for them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gun_%28novel%29
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
scottgillispie wrote:

Thanks for the citation - I'd missed that. That it's a Forester plot explains it on several levels.

Reading the description of Forester's novel, they've apprently turned 18 yr old Jorge into Frank Sinatra, plus adding Sofia Loren.

Yes, I'll be recording this on Thursday, for the novelty value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
aforandy wrote:
scottgillispie wrote:

Thanks for the citation - I'd missed that. That it's a Forester plot explains it on several levels.

Reading the description of Forester's novel, they've apprently turned 18 yr old Jorge into Frank Sinatra, plus adding Sofia Loren.

Yes, I'll be recording this on Thursday, for the novelty value.

I'll probably watch this for the 'novelty value' also. I saw it on TV about 50 years ago and haven't seen it since. For the trivia experts, Cary Grant and Sophia Loren were having an affair during the making of the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
scottgillispie wrote:
Other than Pearl Harbor Day, TCM's schedule is a little thin for war movie choices this month.

Ooh! But some that really interest me on the 7th, though. Besides Task Force, which you recommend, I'm really excited to finally see They Were Expendable, with John Wayne and Robert Montgomery as PT Boat captains fighting a losing battle in the Philippines in the war's opening. Also Three Came Home, a rare WW2 film from a woman's perspective, as Claudette Colbert plays an American captured in Borneo in 1941.

I'm also fond of Howard Hawks' Air Force, telling the story of the B-17 flight that was to make its way across the Pacific, from California to be deployed in the Philippines. They eventually make it there, but the first stop is Pearl Harbor, and they left California on December 6 for an overnight journey...

Oh, *that* flight? That was pretty uneventful. They caused a blip on some old radar display, but that was about it.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
BICYCLES FORWARD
badge
PELOTON
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dirty Dozen on TCM (19 Dec) @ 4:15pm BGG (Central) Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
Link back to the subscription geeklist: War Movies Monthly Discussion - Subscription Geeklist

Dec 19: The Dirty Dozen – 1967 – 5:15 pm.

I was wrapping Christmas presents and put this on for some background noise and ended up sitting down and watching the entirety of 'The Dirty Dozen'. I finished wrapping the presents afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'The Dirty Dozen'

The book makes for interesting reading too: more backstory on the characters and their various 'issues' and motivations.

I also liked the ending better than in the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
smic wrote:

Was out celebrating my birthday with my parents. Besides, I've seen it enough times already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
smic wrote:

Was out celebrating my birthday with my parents. Besides, I've seen it enough times already.

Most importantly, happy birthday to you.

I agree with the position that a person has 'seen it enough times already', as I thought the same. That was the reason I put the movie on while wrapping presents, because I have seen it 'enough', it wouldn't draw my attention too far from the task at hand. The last time that I watched 'The Dirty Dozen' was in the 1990s I believe, although I'd seen it tons of times in my youth. What I found was that I quickly sat down and watched the movie at the expense of completing the Christmas wrapping and other tasks that I originally planned on. Although I wouldn't call 'The Dirty Dozen' a serious war movie, it is entertaining.

I hope your birthday celebration had been a grand time.

Edit 1: grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, Operation Crossbow was the best thing I had seen over the festive period. Lots of tension when the wife turns up to meet her husband who has been replaced by the British spy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.