Subject: fixing the sympathizer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking outloud here...I actually like the sympathizer, at least in concept if not in execution (although I also think the execution of it is unfairly maligned, even if I understand and agree in part...) so much so that I came up with a 'sneaky sympathizer' variant, which I playtested for awhile and enjoy but it may be too strong for the procylon side. I dont really have a problem with that with the right group of human players (the better the group, the more likely the humans win ime).

Anayways, here are the problems with the current sympathizer;

1)player's loyalty outed during sleeper phase.
2)players game the game to ensure the sympathizer is human.

fixes (untested and again thinking outloud)
1)Assemble loyalty deck as normal (sympathizer inserted for sleeper phase) Player dealt the sympathizer automatically 'reveals' as a sympathizer and goes to the brig (ignore all other text on the card). This use of the sympathizer is NOT his loyalty card however! Player then shuffles the sympathizer card with unusued YANAC cards and then selects a YANAC or sympathizer card and adds it facedown along with his original loyalty card. Player resumes play as 'human-but unconfirmed' with 2 loyalty cards.

2)Resources have no effect on the sympathizer card. However, if the humans are down to a single resource on any resource dials, the sympathizer must automatically reveal (and pass off any leftover loyalty cards) and that resource goes up one.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never understood why the sympathiser needs to be automatically revealed and brigged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still mulling over the proposed variant. In the meantime...

Jlerpy wrote:
I've never understood why the sympathiser needs to be automatically revealed and brigged.
Brigging is supposed to be a way to even the odds, making a human partially effective, or a "half human" human.

It needs to be revealed else you won't know who it is. I suppose they may have been able to come up with a way to let that be a manual affair, but that could take too much design work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do not like the Sympathizer, just use the Official No Sympathizer variant. It works great, most players highly prefer it over the awkward Sympathizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
If you do not like the Sympathizer, just use the Official No Sympathizer variant. It works great, most players highly prefer it over the awkward Sympathizer.
I was under the impression the OP knew about this, and still wanted to take a stab at the cylon-symp still by keeping it in some way or form. Otherwise, yeah, we could just "close down" this thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it this way; I am interested in how to make the Sympathizer better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm now of the opinion the game should only be played with 5 players. If I'm around 5 other people that want to play BSG, I'll volunteer to sit out or play a different game with a neighboring group. I still have fun watching a group of experienced players playing the game.

Sympathizer, in my opinion, can't be made better. It's too hard to compete against 4 human turns and a five card skill-card advantage.

The no sympathizer variant tries to account for this advantage by giving Cylon players an additional skill card and reducing Galactica's starting resources. But, it does not address the extra action advantage given to the human team. It's why the no sympathizer states that the variant will favor the human team.

I don't particularly like when a game setup favors one group from the get go. In my opinion, the base game with 5 selfish players is the most balanced setup there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd drop a link to an older thread where I posted the whole of the house variants my group plays with. The main point of relevance is our Sympathizer variant, which gives each player a Sympathetic agenda, and the sympathizer is required to fulfill theirs, while otherwise working like a regular Cylon (staying hidden until revealed, drawing a Super Crisis on reveal), although still able to infiltrate.

The agendas are meant to be played with all expansions, Cylon Fleet Board and Ionian Nebula because that's what my group always does, but several would stand on their own with the base game, or provide inspiration if you wanted to take our variant and modify it for your group.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1062734/plan-mini-expansion-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
I'm now of the opinion the game should only be played with 5 players. If I'm around 5 other people that want to play BSG, I'll volunteer to sit out or play a different game with a neighboring group. I still have fun watching a group of experienced players playing the game.
I haven't minded sitting out either to give others a more optimal experience. However, we do get cases where sitting out still results in 6p or 7p games, albeit they are rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.