designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
26 Feb 2016 Update

version 0.75

V0.75 FULL COLOUR PRINT & PLAY FILE:
PDF: https://dl.orangedox.com/QQFLmjt7Fg8wowKOpj

v0.75 changes:
- All buildings flipped the other way, it's a better way to fan the cards for left and right handers
- Investment rules have changed, they now pay out according to the number of invest cards x the number of built cards in each completed building, at the end of each round.
- Card numbers have been tweaked.
- The tracks + starting positions have been tweaked big time - values now start high instead of low!
- Take changed to Acquire, and you may now go over 5 cards - you just have to discard down to 5 at the end of your turn.

---------------------------------------------------

17 Feb 2016 Update

Super proud and stoked to announce: Dubai was selected as a finalist for the Cardboard Edison Award!

http://cardboardedison.com/award

There will be some pretty chunky updates before I send the most current physical game to Cardboard Edison for final judging, so look out for that update!

EDIT: The latest changes have been uploaded as v0.75 - see update above!

---------------------------------------------------

It looks like this in play:

-------------- ORIGINAL ENTRY BELOW ---------------

Ok, here we go! 24 hour entry, November

Burj

As an architect extraordinnaire in the booming skyscraper city of Dubai, compete to build the most influential towers in the city... Or buy them out!

Complete PNP file: https://dl.orangedox.com/mTluv5hjLiYEYFZhOe

Burj is the arabic word for tower, as in Burj Kalifa, the tallest building in the world, situated in Dubai.

Apologise for the copious amount of colour everywhere... I meant to design this home printer friendly, but I ran out of time... It is black and white capable, as the cards have identifiers on them (letters on the bottom right corner, bottom right because that corner is visible during score-counting, you'll see when you play), but it just works and looks so much better in colour. I could make a home printer friendly version later.

In fact, I have a group on Thursday, and I think I'll make a colour version to try I don't do my printing at home, I have a print shop nearby that I always use for making PNPs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Burj
A little bit more about Burj: I had a game called Cartel, which made use of this faux-3D building effect. It went quite far, made finalist in some comps, and I showed it at a festival. People liked it, but I felt it wasn't "pure" enough. It had area control and pawns and combat and a bunch of stuff, which I felt went contrary to the spirit of the original idea - building skyscrapers.

So with Burj, I distilled the game into just that - building skyscrapers. Players competed to build as much, as tall and as fast as possible, while possibly wresting control of the towers from other players.

Hope you like it, there's probably a bunch of balancing that's off, but I hope its simplicity lends itself to a lot of focused intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
impressive graphics and intriguing way to use cards. printing it tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
impressive graphics and intriguing way to use cards. printing it tomorrow

Thanks so much Todd! That means a ton coming from you! Looking forward to hearing about your thoughts!

My own playtest (with a group) will come Thursday, in the meantime I'll self-playtest tomorrow too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First solo playtest today, immediately revealed a few problems with the design's subtleties... 24 hour designing tends to be loose

- There lacks an incentive to be the first to build. It's too easy to want to build up more cards and build a big set without an incentive to build first/early.
+ Possible solution/s:
1. Give some kind of bonus points for building earlier, perhaps per colour, perhaps per Burj.
2. Limit hand size so players can't build up a silly hand of cards without playing first.

- Possibly too many cards, leads to long games.
+ Possible solution/s:
1. Reduce count per colour and/or
2. Take out a colour. I've currently taken out Yellow altogether.

- Colours seemed more homogenous than they could be.
+ Possible solution/s
1. Give each colour their own character - points per card, size of set per colour (so for example red's card count is 15 total, and needs at least 4 to be played. Black is 10 copies and needs at least 2 to be played.

- Drafting the same colour/s as opponents didn't seem like a problem, as you could always drop the same colours later with no penalty (unless the game ends)
+ Possible solution/s
1. First-drop bonus like previously discussed could disincentivise hoarding.

- the market can feel stagnant, as other than trading, cards are only taken one at a time, which is often the case.
+ Possible solution/s:
1. Introduce a mechanic that allows players to take multiple cards from the market, or something that removes a bunch of cards from the market at a time. (Perhaps when a Burj/zone is complete?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks amazing! The card laying mechanic is extremely cool. I just had a thought when readying though your solo playtest notes:

Tuism wrote:
- the market can feel stagnant, as other than trading, cards are only taken one at a time, which is often the case.
+ Possible solution/s:
1. Introduce a mechanic that allows players to take multiple cards from the market, or something that removes a bunch of cards from the market at a time. (Perhaps when a Burj/zone is complete?)

This reminded me of the market place in Alhambra where players have the ability to take more than one currency card so long as the numbers on the cards totaled 5 at the most. But I wonder if more than one mechanic that removes cards from the market will deplete the deck faster allowing you bring back yellow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corneliusdamey wrote:
This looks amazing! The card laying mechanic is extremely cool. I just had a thought when readying though your solo playtest notes:

Tuism wrote:
+ Possible solution/s:

This reminded me of the market place in Alhambra where players have the ability to take more than one currency card so long as the numbers on the cards totaled 5 at the most. But I wonder if more than one mechanic that removes cards from the market will deplete the deck faster allowing you bring back yellow?

That's a great idea! The game currently doesn't have numbers on the cards, but that may be a good reason to add numbers to them, and scoring would be influenced by those too.

Thanks for the idea!

I was brainstorming more ideas around that:
- event cards that are shuffled in the deck, when drawn, the market is cleared before refilled. (Seemed too random though)
- when a burj is full (3 colors in one), discard the market and refresh. Or remove cards that are the same as those in that burj and refill.

Ultimately I'm trying to think of ideas that are most focused around building more towers than introducing new stuff, so I think the first of my two ideas isn't as good.

Thanks again for the idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, Steven!

At least you didn't drop Cartel entirely.

Too bad, though...I wanted those snipers on the roofs...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work for 24 hours. I know you were industrious, but wow. Well done. I look forward to printing it out but I'm going to hold back until the game is ready ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys

Yeah I know there are a bunch of parts, so it's not a small footprint as far as printing and playing goes, so I would want to see that it's ready ready before going for it!

I think I'll make a paired down b&w-friendly version, once I make the changes that would try to fix th initial shortcomings

Thanks again guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made a quick thing hat I'm going to hopefully playtest tonight (if I can pull people away from blood rage long enough )

So what it is is a market value track, every time you build, you gain that many points, then the price of that colour drops. Every card you invest of a colour, its value goes up. So this makes it better to build first, but if you can collect a bunch you can bump prices up before dumping for greater profit. It's an interesting balance!

There's also a hand limit, of 5 cards, to prevent hoarding.

When I have the new pnp version ready I'll post it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, this is a great looking game! As a graphic designer, I appreciated the use of K (key) for black. Though it may not thematically make sense, it's a clever nod to the print world considering the wonderful array of colors you're using in your game. I looking forward to playing this game so hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick playtest report

Had four player games, players remained very engaged and there were some really interesting moments. Overall very positive

The rules we played:
> The market had 5 cards. Each turn, a player could:
1. Pick a card from the market (or blind)
2. Trade as many cards from hand with market cards as they want.
3. Build cards of the same colour into a building with no more than 2 colours in it already, and not the same colour as existing colours in that building. Score and decrease value of that colour.
4. Invest by playing cards from hand in front of yourself. Increase value of the colour per card played.

> Maximum hand size of 5. Cannot draw more when you are at 5.
> When playing cards, a player must build into a building as many cards of the same colour as they wanted to. They then gain points equal to [number of cards * value of cards]. The value of that colour then drops by one space.
> A building with 3 colours is considered closed and new buildings must be built.
> End of the game, each building scores again: each building with a majority share of a colour scores for the player who owns the most investment of that colour [number of cards in that building + (market value of that colour * number of cards of that colour in the building)].

Playtest outcomes:
> Drawing one card at a time is too slow. Will probably change it to ticket-to-ride style of drawing 2 cards or one wildcard.
> Scoring of entire buildings will now happen at the completion of each "tier" - tier one completes at one building, tier two at two buildings, etc. Scored buildings are collected in a discard pile. This has the effect of making investment situations more dynamic, as well as clears the table every once in a while, which makes the whole thing less potentially confusing.
> The isometric setup... While it looks cool, is kinda impractical and gimmicky, as you can see in the photo... It's never straight, and makes the game more difficult to play, as opposed to simpler if the cards were lined up straight. Considering changing the card design to be just plain straight up-and-down.
> Need better/bigger tracks and markers on the market value tracks
> Want to tweak values of cards and the market tracks to be more interesting. Often dropping cards for investment doesn't really make you score more (so I have 5 black cards and blacks are worth 3 each. If I drop 2 for investment and push the value up to 5, I'll have 3 cards worth 5 each, which is... Kinda pointless)
> Also want to make it so that it's possible to play an all-investment game if your options comes up right.
> May put in event cards that trigger as soon as they come up, that may affect everyone. Like all market value plummet, or somesuch.

So excited for Burj! There were many furrowed brows at the table, and many "AWWWW MANNNN!" moments, which can only be a good sign Can't wait to write up the new rules and make a new version of PnP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corneliusdamey wrote:
Gosh, this is a great looking game! As a graphic designer, I appreciated the use of K (key) for black. Though it may not thematically make sense, it's a clever nod to the print world considering the wonderful array of colors you're using in your game. I looking forward to playing this game so hard!

Haha thanks! Yeah it was a cool nod and a cool thing to explain to people The final version would probably not have K as black or any of the colour cues as it is now, it's mostly for prototyping and b&w compatibility, but hey maybe I'll try to find a way to keep it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay! An all-new version 2 of Burjs! Made a ton of changes, incorporating the score track. It's now a pretty fast game of fast trades, market manipulation and profit taking

FULL COLOUR PNP:
https://dl.orangedox.com/uAekojR7sIOXCiK7Dq

LOW-INK PNP:
https://dl.orangedox.com/MNWfZtfu5OZc92RPEQ
(works as black & white too as I've got symbols in everything, but colour is so much clearer)

It looks like this in play:

The rules are only two pages with plenty of images for reference:

Have playtested it a few times thus far, would love to see how you pick up the game without me being around to explain (haven't had a blind test yet).

Please rip it apart and tell me what's wrong with it! Anything at all, from personal preference to downright rule errors to not making things lazy-friendly enough for you!

Thanks guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Burjs - A fast trading game for 2-4 stock manipulating, profit-taking architects!

Just had a fantastic playtest session with my gamedev buddies, had a couple of games in a row, which was great! There was definitely a "one more game" thing that was happening. We played about 5 games when I was expecting more like one test

Identified a few very fine-tune issues, which was awesome:

1. The valuation tracks were a bit off, especially with red being unwanted and black & white being possibly too powerful.
2. Market stagnation was an issue that was possibly linked to the previous point.
3. A few rules exceptions were bogging the game down more than they should.
4. Investing should be stronger.

We came up with a few changes to fix these leans and streamline the rules, and I'll have the new rules up soon!!

Exciting stuff!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Burjs - A fast trading game for 2-4 stock manipulating, profit-taking architects!
Gonna print now... No. I will wait.
Uhhh the excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Uhhh the excitement.

Haha, thanks Charles!

New version up in 3... 2... 1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Abraj - A fast trading game for 2-4 stock manipulating, profit-taking architects!
Ok, version 0.3!

FULL COLOUR PNP:

https://dl.orangedox.com/ZurRCma4MdCWLzPi2A

LOW-INK PNP:

https://dl.orangedox.com/AW1vgKkwbxecQCSDH1

First of all, note: If you've printed previous versions, the cards themselves have remained identical, so you can use cards from previous version and just replace the rules.

Tweaks for the sake of balance:

1. Tweaked the valuation tracks - the rarer colours now start lower but grow in bigger strides. The smaller guys also grow but take longer.

2. The first tweak should help with Market stagnation, but also added a rule where if three of the same colour are in the market at the end of a Take, they get discarded and replaced.

3. Removed the exception for trading for wildcards. You can now trade for wildcards.

4. End of round payouts now multiplies against the cards in your investment portfolio instead of cards in a building, which makes investments stronger (though not removing their risk entirely).

Name changed... The plural of Burj is Abraj, which is more correct.

Thanks again for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Abraj - A fast trading game for 2-4 stock manipulating, profit-taking architects!
Two things:

1. Identity Crisis - Don't know what to name this wee game! Discussion on this here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1486569/naming-my-prototype...

2. Many positive playtest responses, when I have time I'll start doing some art on this to give this the allure it deserves

In the meantime, Have YOU played this? I would love love love to hear from you!

FULL COLOUR PNP:

https://dl.orangedox.com/ZurRCma4MdCWLzPi2A

LOW-INK PNP:

https://dl.orangedox.com/AW1vgKkwbxecQCSDH1

Would you give it a try if made a solo challenge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some things i have found

the game starts with the last player who was in a building taller than 10 stories (stories not floors)

the turn actions in the small box on top of page 2 are not in the same numbered order as the turn actions listed below it

i think 1A should say

"The number of buildings in play is less than or equal to the round number"

the way you state it now you couldn't build a building in round 1 because the only number less than 1 is 0

I think the action for 2 might be better reworded as

"Take up to two cards - either those face up from the Market, or from the top of the draw deck. Replace any Market cards taken by drawing new cards from the draw deck"

then you won't need that next paragraph about replacing the cards

you might want to mention that the score track score wealth somewhere

if i am the first player to play and i build a building, by your rules the round is then over and no one else gets to have a turn? if so what is the difference between a turn and a round in this case?

for Game End maybe reword to - "Play proceeds until all players have taken a final turn"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Todd for your feedback!!

Agreed with most of your points, thanks for the detailed eye! I'll make the changes to make them clearer

Below with some clarifications for your questions:

dumarest123 wrote:
i think 1A should say

"The number of buildings in play is less than or equal to the round number"

the way you state it now you couldn't build a building in round 1 because the only number less than 1 is 0

Maybe I've worded it completely wrong, the idea is that in each round, there can be a number of buildings, shared between all players, equal to the round number. So round 1, there can be 1 building. If player one builds a card/floor/story (plays a set of a colour with the building action), then player two cannot start a new building and must add on to the first one, if she wants to use the build action.

So if there's 1 building, and 1 is equal to the round number, then you can't start a new building.

Thus the "equal" can't be there as per your suggestion.

Perhaps "round" is not the right word, or confusing! I was going to use the term "age" like the "first age" or something, but that didn't quite fit the theme. Round was generic.

Quote:
I think the action for 2 might be better reworded as

"Take up to two cards - either those face up from the Market, or from the top of the draw deck. Replace any Market cards taken by drawing new cards from the draw deck"

then you won't need that next paragraph about replacing the cards

Sounds good!

Quote:
you might want to mention that the score track score wealth somewhere

Oh doh! Thanks!

Quote:
if i am the first player to play and i build a building, by your rules the round is then over and no one else gets to have a turn? if so what is the difference between a turn and a round in this case?

So that sounds like you missed the part where the end of a round is triggered by "complete" buildings. A building require 3 different colours in it to be considered "complete". At the very end of "Build":

If there are a number of buildings equal to the
Round number AND they all have 3 colours in
them, the round is over, proceed to End of
Round.

If you missed that then my rules weren't clear enough on that, do you suggest maybe I put this up front instead of being part of build? It's also in "End of Round"

Quote:
for Game End maybe reword to - "Play proceeds until all players have taken a final turn"

The intention was actually so that every player has taken an equal number of turns, not that every player takes one more turn after the game end triggers. I however find the requirement to mark a starting player and taking equal turns too finicky and I don't actually like it, but some people have expressed that they think it's important for "fairness"... Which I really don't think is necessarily that important in this game. What do you think?

-----------------

Again, thanks for the once-over Todd! Hope you have a chance to play it, please shout if there's anything else at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tweaking game mechanics are more often than not a matter of trial and error than science and maths. At least, for me it is. I'm gonna chronicle the stuff I'm tweaking in my game, a brief why, and a brief playtest outcome of the change.

Adventures in experimental changes to a game's economy, part 1

Playtested today with these changes:

Change 1:
Changed the orange suite's valuation track's numbers,
from 1-[1]-2-3-4 to [1]-3-5-6 (the [] denotes the starting value)

Why:
People weren't taking oranges. The value proposition just weren't good enough compared to the other colours. So I decided to bump it up.

Change 2:
Changed investment scoring from
[number of cards you invested of that colour x the value of the colour]
to
[(number of investments you hold + number of building cards) x the value of the colour]

Why:
Wanted to boost investment as a strategy, and making the investment scoring factoring both number of cards in the building AND on your board made it stronger.

Outcome:

The scoring change changed the game catastrophically in favour of investing, basically it meant that if a player invested early, any other player who collected that colour and built it would be handing them at least that many points PLUS the factor of whatever the investing player held. And because building only erodes the value by one click, the investments would always hold its value.

In conjunction wit the scoring change, the orange valuation track change made it go off the charts. Being plentiful (18 copies in the deck, like red) as well as short to max, made it a HUGE score engine for whomever invested heavily into it.

So I'm not going to keep that scoring for investments, but rather maybe do it non-multiplicative. I'm contemplating [number of investments + number of cards in building + value of colour], which is less explosive but still quite significant if it occurs multiple times, and still lower than the build action.

And the valuation track... On top of the Orange being mad, I found theat Blue wasn't wanted. The two 3s in there really hurt it, especially considering the 5 cards hand size limit. So the evolution of the valuation track continues...

--------------------

I playtested with a fresh crew of victims, with a range of experience in gaming between them, and they all enjoyed the game despite the experimental changes, so much so that they wanted to play again after the first time it ended. The fact that happens almost every time I test is a great sign, and what makes me super happy to be making games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to print out the game! After reading through your latest play tests and changes, would you suggest that any of those be permanent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.