FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I picked this up just before Thanksgiving. I was concerned about replay value, but after reading the rules and reviews, then downloading the designer kit, I took the plunge.

Anyway, I took it up to North Cal where my mom and brother live. Its been several months since I played a board game with my wife (Infiltration), a few years since I've played with my brother (Settlers of Catan), three decades since I've played with my mom (Monopoly). And here we all were, 2+ hours of family enjoyment. It was a success! Thank you Space Cowboys.

I guess I'm dense, because I had to keep referring to the rule book. I don't get a chance to game much (I don't like solo play and it takes a lot to get my wife interested) so hopefully it's because of that and not because I'm dumb and/or getting old. I've been scouring the forums and did not see this mentioned: that maybe the game should have come with a practice mini scenario, so that dummies like me can learn the rules/mechanics before jumping into the real scenario. It would have been nice.

As far as I can tell, I think we played correctly for the most part. I am, however, stumped with the following. I am at work at the moment, so I am doing this from memory:

***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT***

In the caverns location, the group had to move together from space to space defeating a creature. It had no shields, only red skulls. We had no idea how to deal with this. What we ended up doing was rolling the dice (according to the character combat stat, of course) a success defeated the creature, and if a skull was rolled, the riposte was resolved as normal. I believe the creature had 4 skulls. So if a skull was rolled, it would be 1 (red skull rolled) + 4 skulls (then refer to character resistance to determine wounds suffered). This did not seem right, though.

Another question is in regards to state tokens. Am I correct here?:

If a location card needs to be unlocked with, let's say, for example, a blue state token, and I have this particular blue state token. When I use it to unlock this card, do I keep the state token or do I discard it (as if I spent it to do the unlock)?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh boy. After reading my own post, I believe I answered my own question. I don't know why the fact that the creature did not have shields confused me so much. The above creature with 4 red skulls needs to be defeated with 4 success stars (with the riposte being resolved as normal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fpvillalobos wrote:
As far as I can tell, I think we played correctly for the most part. I am, however, stumped with the following. I am at work at the moment, so I am doing this from memory:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the caverns location, the group had to move together from space to space defeating a creature. It had no shields, only red skulls. We had no idea how to deal with this. What we ended up doing was rolling the dice (according to the character combat stat, of course) a success defeated the creature, and if a skull was rolled, the riposte was resolved as normal. I believe the creature had 4 skulls. So if a skull was rolled, it would be 1 (red skull rolled) + 4 skulls (then refer to character resistance to determine wounds suffered). This did not seem right, though.
Not quite right, if your resistance is less than the number of skulls, the agent loses one life point, you don't calculate the difference and deduct that. (QuickQuote my post to see the spoiler tags.)

fpvillalobos wrote:
Another question is in regards to state tokens. Am I correct here?:

If a location card needs to be unlocked with, let's say, for example, a blue state token, and I have this particular blue state token. When I use it to unlock this card, do I keep the state token or do I discard it (as if I spent it to do the unlock)?
Page 14 - "A state token is kept until it is used".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. So an agent just loses 1 life point. I didn't know that. I'll use the spoiler tags from now on.

I see that you have been posting quite a bit in the forums answering questions. Thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.