7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Forbidden Desert vs Survive! Escape from Atlantis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have a short list for Christmas - after some help from you guys.

So far it includes:
Go Sushi
Ca$h n Guns

and I need one more - and am toying with either Forbidden Desert or Survive! Escape from Atlantis.

I need a family game with a few twists, that has a little strategy element - but not too much or too heavy, has a fun element and will appeal to an easily bored teenager. If it helps, the games that grip the teenager most, are Ticket to Ride and Nothing Personal.

Which one to choose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both with my 8 year old. I would say he really likes both, probably Survive a little more. Personally, I like Forbidden Desert more, but really both of them are good

. I think your biggest thing to decide is what will be better received a cooperative game or a competitive game? That is really the kicker in the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Syvanis wrote:
I play both with my 8 year old. I would say he really likes both, probably Survive a little more. Personally, I like Forbidden Desert more, but really both of them are good

. I think your biggest thing to decide is what will be better received a cooperative game or a competitive game? That is really the kicker in the question.

A little competition is always good - we play Hanabi co-operatively, and that works ok, because we can always moan at each other for making the wrong choice. However, we loathed Flashpoint because it was so co-operative heavy - so I guess competitive will likely win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Survive is your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you - that was easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Survive. We have the chromed up 1990s predecessor and it's awesome ... and slightly cutthroat .

One of the few titles I can get the wife, both kids and even the grandparents to try out. We also have the now OOP Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs by the same designer, also fun and cutthroat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LittleShoes wrote:
Thank you - that was easy!

Go with the one that is 30+ years old and still has a place in today's games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.