9 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Drawing Player Cards: Are we missing something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
volkuul zupa
msg tools
Hello,

we recently picked up a copy of Pandemic and it's fun and after a lot of Eldritch Horror, this is something much shorter. However it also seems to be much more arbitrary as it kind of boils down to which cards you draw from the playerdeck. In 90% of the cases we lose by having no player cards left and something like 2 diseases cured. It seems to us that it just depends on luck which colors you draw to cure the diseases. And while you can exchange cards, even doing so twice during a game takes a lot of actions (mind we play with 2 persons). So what are we doing wrong?!? What is the thing that we're missing? Thanks for any help as it's a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing two characters is much easier than more because you CAN just sit and wait for cards to come to you. I almost never pass cards in a two player game. There's 12 cards for each color so you should be able to get four of each into one person's hand. Are you spending them all to travel or something? You can just walk around, you don't have to spend cards to do all your travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Alexander
United Kingdom
Accrington
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Playing two characters is much easier than more because you CAN just sit and wait for cards to come to you. I almost never pass cards in a two player game. There's 12 cards for each color so you should be able to get four of each into one person's hand. Are you spending them all to travel or something? You can just walk around, you don't have to spend cards to do all your travel.

Yeah, I second that, you should only really be spending card on transport in the event of outbrakes, or rather to prevet them, not as a prefered option, and in a 2 player game, there shouldnt be much need to swap cards, just communicate with what your going for.

Though running out of player cards is a common lose senario, think of it as the game clock.

If your always loosing by the player deck them my guess is your putting too high a priority on clearing the board. Dont get me wrong, thats important, to prevent outbreaks and running out of cubes, but its not the primary focus.

Remember, there are many ways to lose, but only one way to win, so look at adjusting your priorities alittle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above comments. In my early games, I fixated too much on clearing cubes off the map--which resulted in some losses due to time running out. I realized you only worry about curing what you must to prevent losing due to outbreaks; beyond that, the focus needs to be on getting your card sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I agree with the above comments. In my early games, I fixated too much on clearing cubes off the map--which resulted in some losses due to time running out. I realized you only worry about curing treating what you must to prevent losing due to outbreaks; beyond that, the focus needs to be on getting your card sets.

Altered for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
These are good advises. But which also could be an issues, you missed some mechanics.

With a 2 player setup you just draw 2 cards after each turn. Every player gets 4 cards at the beginning. Start with 4 epidemics and may be more actions cards (3-4). Furthermore your hand limit is 7 cards.

I know this things are obvious, but that was our problem when we first played pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
claudermilk wrote:
I agree with the above comments. In my early games, I fixated too much on clearing cubes off the map--which resulted in some losses due to time running out. I realized you only worry about curing treating what you must to prevent losing due to outbreaks; beyond that, the focus needs to be on getting your card sets.

Altered for clarity.

Oops, terminology faux pas. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
volkuul zupa
msg tools
Hi. No we're actually almost never spending cards on travel, neither on anything else, except building a research station somewhere. However the hand card limit is 7. You need 5 cards if you don't have the scientist. That leaves two cards of anything else.
So let's assume I start with whatever color I get most in the first 1-2 rounds, the 2nd player does the same, although a different color. Now while you move around on the board you have to be lucky enough to draw the remaining color cards. Meanwhile you'll simply cycle through a lot of cards that you simply discard, because you don't "need" them right now. By the time you cured that first disease or first two diseases, you already discarded, let's say 4 cards of each other color. Now there are only 8 of those left. Now you divide again which color you're going for, but if either you or the 2nd player simply draws too many of those remaining cards, there is no chance of winning.
I'm fine with losing a game (too many Eldritch horror losses), but this seems to be a bit arbitray. I could almost just deal the player deck in the beginning and see if there is a chance of winning at all.
Well, apparently the "In the Lab" expansion should change that so that might help. I basically just wanted to see if we missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would just be bad luck if you have 3 red cards in your hand and you happen to draw and discard 4 of every other color before finding 2 more red cards. It's certainly possible, but unlikely. And once you cure the first disease you will waste less cards because you won't need as many cards of the color of the cured disease, so they are free to be discarded in a pinch.

I play 2P fairly often, and it definitely isn't the case that we lose by running out of cards every time. We usually lose to outbreaks because we're too cautious about spending our cards for flights. It seems well balanced though. When we win we were just a few turns away from losing in several different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.