Subject: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
...news yet and no new posts for a whole four days?!?!
How should I survive the wait without any news or discussion?!?!

So lets speculate a bit more:
Do you think there will be an "I am Your Father" or "Noooooooooooo!" Mission card that allows Vader to reveal himself and to somehow hinder Luke's Progress?

I think we know already that the Imperial player will start with the completed Death Star in play.
I wonder if it will be certain that this Death Star will be destroyed via a Mission card in the first Act. I think it would be cool if it was open ended and the destruction could go either way (so it could be that there would be no need for the Empire to build a second Death Star or maybe there could even be TWO Death Stars in play at once!!!!).

Will the second Death Star always stay incompleted or could it also become a whole and complete Death Star like the first one? It also would be nice here to have the more open ended option.

And finally: will the Death Star be able to blow up more than one planet? It would be very cool if the Death Star mission that allows for the destruction of planets would be recycled and you could use it more than once as long as the Death Star is in play. You might not want to use it more than once (if at all), because it could be hard to pull off and the repercussions could be severe for the Empire, but this could raise the need for the Rebellion to destroy the Death Star as fast as possible...

Sooo many questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the rest, but my guess is the Death Star(s) can blow up more than one planet, and that if a certain number of planets are demolished the Empire succeeds in its rule-by-terror doctrine and the Rebels lose outright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is the small matter of a totally new Star Wars film to look forward to in under three weeks, maybe that will tide you over for a while...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:

Do you think there will be an "I am Your Father" or "Noooooooooooo!" Mission card that allows Vader to reveal himself and to somehow hinder Luke's Progress?

The "I am your father" line has become so iconic of the setting even to the point of comedy (used for instance in "Toy Story") that I would bet on this being a card.

As for the death of Obi Wan and its effect on Luke, I would speculate that he comes back even more powerful, like Gandalf the White in LOTR, which will make the Rebel player want to get him killed as soon as possible!

Neva Kee wrote:

I wonder if it will be certain that this Death Star will be destroyed via a Mission card in the first Act. I think it would be cool if it was open ended and the destruction could go either way (so it could be that there would be no need for the Empire to build a second Death Star or maybe there could even be TWO Death Stars in play at once!!!!).

I suspect there can only be one Death Star in play. If the one at game start is destroyed the Empire can place the "under construction" version on the map, giving the Rebel player a number of turns to destroy it before it becomes fully operational and is replaced by the completed Death Star model.

Neva Kee wrote:

Will the second Death Star always stay incompleted or could it also become a whole and complete Death Star like the first one? It also would be nice here to have the more open ended option.

I think not, for the reason stated above.

Neva Kee wrote:

And finally: will the Death Star be able to blow up more than one planet? It would be very cool if the Death Star mission that allows for the destruction of planets would be recycled and you could use it more than once as long as the Death Star is in play. You might not want to use it more than once (if at all), because it could be hard to pull off and the repercussions could be severe for the Empire, but this could raise the need for the Rebellion to destroy the Death Star as fast as possible...

I think a Death Star will be able to destroy more than one planet because in the first movie it destroys one as a demonstration and then attempts to destroy a second, the one the rebel base is on. We all know how that turned out! Maybe once you've narrowed down the location of the Rebel Base to a few systems it would become worthwhile blowing up planets as one might be the Rebel Base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
would be cool if you can continue to Build Death Stars after they've been destroyed. Death star III: The rebels can't stop us! I just hope there's a way to represent the trench run working only on the first one. The Rebellion struck the second while it was under construction probably because II was designed without that flaw, and had it been completed it would have been almost indestructible by comparison.

If it's possible to upgrade Luke, and if there's talk of Luke falling to the dark side, I wonder if it's possible to redeem Vader? That's an Infinities concept that always interested me and I'd like the chance to play it out in Rebellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be a "Han shoots first" card that the rebels can use to steal the initiative from the imperial player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I have no more information than anyone else, but I feel confident that blowing up the Death Star will be a mission card for the rebels. Probably a difficult one, and probably easier with Luke. I'm nearly as certain that blowing up a planet will be a similar sort of card for the Imperials and, as much fun as it would be otherwise, there's probably only one. If I'm correct, the decision the Imperial player has to make is whether to hold onto that card (if you can, or however it will work) to use when you find the rebel base or just have fun demolishing a planet now in case the rebels manage to take the Death Star out before you can target their HQ.

I would further guess that the second Death Star can only be built after the first has been destroyed.

I can't remember where I read this, maybe something I heard in that SUASD podcast about the game, but I have gotten the impression that there may be three sets of event cards (at least for the rebels?) that you go through in turn. If so, they presumably give you events that are suggestive of each movie in the original trilogy. Perhaps the cards relating to the second Death Star only appear in the third set of event cards. Or did my brain make all that up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi C
msg tools
mbmb
I thought from the SUSD preview, that the only imperial mission objective is, 'Destroy the rebel base (planet)'. If this is the case, the Death Star would definitely be able to destroy multiple planets. And very likely the rebels can only destroy the first Death Star, not the second. If rebels could destroy both, right at that point the game becomes un-winnable for the imperials. (though maybe that is like a second route to victory for rebels, destroy both Death Stars - win.)

The real question is...
Will there be a 'These are not the droids you're looking for' card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
"Mission" may be the wrong word. I am thinking that both using and blowing up a Death Star will involve cards like "Display of Power" and "Sabotage." Whatever that category of card might be called, both sides seem to use them. The information we already have speaks of freezing people in carbonite, rescuing captive heroes, and destroying planets. I am assuming all of those actions are handled through playing a specific card that lets you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Lovell
United States
Edgewood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Neva Kee wrote:

I think a Death Star will be able to destroy more than one planet because in the first movie it destroys one as a demonstration and then attempts to destroy a second, the one the rebel base is on. We all know how that turned out! Maybe once you've narrowed down the location of the Rebel Base to a few systems it would become worthwhile blowing up planets as one might be the Rebel Base.[/q]

I would hope there is some mechanic to prevent the Empire player from just blowing up every planet he comes across. Either a "growing resistance" mechanic, as other planets join the rebellion due to the terror of the Empire, or just a heavy material/opportunity cost for doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If blowing up a planet with the Death Star is done by play of a card, there might be another card that allows the Empire to pick a card from the discard pile so that it can re-enter play.

It may not actually require the Death Star to destroy the Rebel Base. In "The Empire Strikes Back" the Rebel Base, relocated from Yavin 4 to Hoth, was threatened with planetary bombardment by Star Destroyers rather than destruction by the Death Star. It was evacuated whilst the Empire's ground assault to destroy the shield generator protecting it was underway - which would suggest there is a Rebel card to evacuate the base even at the moment it is about to be destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
All the Empire has to do to win is defeat all rebel forces on the planet where the rebel base is. So either done by conventional means or blowing up the planet.

From the SUSD podcast the rebels can move the base as an action / mission card that can recur. A escape at the last minute card could be cool, although I don't think you would be able to play mission cards during combat. Theee are combat cards but I feel that it would be too specific an effect. It would be a dead card most of the time, or just make the game's continuation based solely on whether or not the Rebel player was lucky enough to draw it.

Nothing has proved it but I would guess that the Death Star's blow up a planet card is recurring too. I think each side haa four recurring cards each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
At first I thought that we would get some teasers between now and the release of the games (designer diaries ?).
Now I'm afraid we won't have any news until the rules are made available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
I think each side haa four recurring cards each.

Where did you get that idea??

Hmm, so now we can wildly speculate about WHICH kind of cards will be recurring

If there really are four for each side, my guesses would be:
Imperium:
- Blow up a planet with the Death Star
- Subjugate a planet
- Promote a leader (give him a promotion ring)
- Capture a rebel leader

Rebel:
- Move Rebel base (known)
- Sabotage (known) - Prevent players from building and deploying units in a system
- make Vader / Emperor kill a leader after a defeat
- Jump to Hyperspace (strike and escape from a combat)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the two death star figures do not represent the 1st and 2nd death stars specifically, but just show levels of construction. A death star may take multiple turns to build, and can thus be under construction (non-moving), or completed (able to move about the map).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One moree thing to remember about the "under construction" Death Star from the movies - the Rebels believed that it was not operational yet but it was a trap. The Death Star was actually fully operational, despite being unfinished.

So, there should be an "It's a Trap" card for the Empire, which immediately replaces the unfinished Death Star with the finished one. Here's a clip from the movie. See from about 3:30 when the Death Star's beam begins tearing into the Rebel fleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldrick0712 wrote:
One moree thing to remember about the "under construction" Death Star from the movies - the Rebels believed that it was not operational yet but it was a trap. The Death Star was actually fully operational, despite being unfinished.

So, there should be an "It's a Trap" card for the Empire, which immediately replaces the unfinished Death Star with the finished one. Here's a clip from the movie. See from about 3:30 when the Death Star's beam begins tearing into the Rebel fleet.

Being fully operational may not mean it was "finished" though. The term the Emperor uses is "fully armed and operational" - meaning its weapons were active and ready, but that doesn't mean it was ready to fly around the galaxy and terrorize other planets; it's propulsion system may well have not been done yet, at least not enough to make it useable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Being fully operational may not mean it was "finished" though. The term the Emperor uses is "fully armed and operational" - meaning its weapons were active and ready, but that doesn't mean it was ready to fly around the galaxy and terrorize other planets; it's propulsion system may well have not been done yet, at least not enough to make it useable.

Fine, the card can say that the Death Star can attack as normal but can't move until completed.

What I hope is that game play will be able to reproduce most significant plot elements from the movies. If the Rebels walked into a trap at Endor, it should be possible for them to walk into a trap in the game too. It won't always happen but it should at least be possible.

[EDIT]

What would be even cooler would be if the card said "If the Emperor is in the same space as the Incomplete Death Star, it may fire as a Completed Death Star". Thus, the Rebel player would see the Empire player move the Emperor there and wonder "Has he got the 'It's a Trap' card, or is he bluffing?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tehgr8supa wrote:

Neva Kee wrote:
Quote:

I think a Death Star will be able to destroy more than one planet because in the first movie it destroys one as a demonstration and then attempts to destroy a second, the one the rebel base is on. We all know how that turned out! Maybe once you've narrowed down the location of the Rebel Base to a few systems it would become worthwhile blowing up planets as one might be the Rebel Base.

I would hope there is some mechanic to prevent the Empire player from just blowing up every planet he comes across. Either a "growing resistance" mechanic, as other planets join the rebellion due to the terror of the Empire, or just a heavy material/opportunity cost for doing so.

In the videogame this board game seems to be based on, Star Wars: Rebellion, the Empire could totally fly around the galaxy blowing up planet after planet, but blowing up a planet had consequences. It increased loyalty to the empire in planets in the immediate vicinity of the Death Star, but decreased empire loyalty in the rest of the empire. Once as the Empire, I blew up so many planets that even Couruscant was trying to secede to the Rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Neva Kee wrote:
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
I think each side haa four recurring cards each.

Where did you get that idea??

To be honest I'm not sure exactly. Either Shutupandsitdown's podcast or one of the FFG articles. I know for sure that some missions can be drawn again when you want them back (kind of like Horus Heresy) but I don't know where I got the number from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
After looking at the board and the faction sheets, I think that you can only build the second Death Star and the Super Star Destroyer through mission cards. Each unit has a blue or orange symbol denoting its build class. The Death Star, Second Death Star and Super Star Destroyer all have a green symbol that may be of cards.

So perhaps building the Super Star Destroyer is a second act mission card and the Second Death Star is a third (or second) act mission card. This would make sense to stop the second Death Star being built way too early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As I understand it there are 3 decks for each film in the trilogy, so I'm assuming certain events will definitely happen, but others might not of we might change them. I believe WOTR is like this, where events in the books/films can be changed through gameplay, making games very unpredictable.

I wonder if Obi-Wan has to die, for example, for Luke to join the rebellion? Or if the first Death Star has to be destroyed? My guess is a mixture of both set events and freedom will exist. I would like to believe that you can have two Death Stars but I don't think it would be thematically correct.

I wonder just how much freedom there will be to change events.

One card I'm hoping to see for the Imperials... Hire Bounty Hunters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
TWO Death Stars in play at once!!!!

Me want!

In master of orion 2, you can build several dozens "Doom Star"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

Me want!

True, although alone the Doom Star is just a really big ship It didn't become "Death Star" like unless you equipped a Stellar Converter on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

Me want!

You never know - the image shows only one of each, but there is still uncertainty about the number of units of each type - so maybe there are 10 Death Stars in there (or they release the official Army of Death Stars expansion after this is revealed to be an official thing in "The Force Awakens" in two weeks )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.