Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I've read about this game makes me seriously want it. What I'm wondering, though, is how cardsets are built. How significant are the statistical results as opposed to the "eye test"?

This does not strike me as like some of the other games in this genre, where you can plug statstics into an Excel workbook and BANG -- you've got your cards. HMB is built around the qualities of the players, as well as stats. So if you want to rate a season you were too young to see, are there any problems?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Wilson
United States
Oceanside
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
What I've read about this game makes me seriously want it. What I'm wondering, though, is how cardsets are built. How significant are the statistical results as opposed to the "eye test"?

This does not strike me as like some of the other games in this genre, where you can plug statstics into an Excel workbook and BANG -- you've got your cards. HMB is built around the qualities of the players, as well as stats. So if you want to rate a season you were too young to see, are there any problems?

Actually, the qualities do have hard stats behind them. When you order the game you can also pay a few dollars more to get the ratings guide to make your own players and teams. If you know your way around excel, it's very easy to make your own players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

Actually if you buy the ratings guide you can build a spreadsheet that does that. I have...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't build a spreadsheet but if I knew Excel I could. Would love to have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
graydo wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

Actually if you buy the ratings guide you can build a spreadsheet that does that. I have...

What all does it do? Does it shoot out ready-to-print cards, or would I need another sheet to format them?

If the things people have posted on the PLAAY site are any indication, there's a lot of fanwork going on. I'd like to build a modernized equivalent to the old Extra Innings Top 400 players set, even if all the really good players will cancel each other out.

An equivalent for Soccer Blast (the other PLAAY game on myh immediate want list) would be very handy for something I would like to do for Game Storm.

Which to buy first?
I love baseball. I love soccer. I love hockey. It's so hard to choose, especially when it'll be a little bit before you have the cash to pull the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine produces ready to print cards except for positions and fielding ratings that I like to do manually. I do review them for tweaks using the delta rating though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
graydo wrote:
Mine produces ready to print cards except for positions and fielding ratings that I like to do manually. I do review them for tweaks using the delta rating though.

I'd be interested in seeing your sheet. I've ordered the game and the Ratings Guide and I have my list of the pre-1975 Top 400 from Extra Innings. Put two and two together and you get to take a lot of cardstrock to Kinko's to print out your set.

I'd also be interested in having someone look over my first attempt before it goes out into the wild. I'm wrestling with the balance problem, and wondering what steps I can take to make it a better-playing draft pool. My experience with these sorts of projects is that pitching tends to be overpowering in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And my game is going to be shipped soon!

I'm trying to lay some groundwork for building sets (as my large order of cardstock from Amazon can attest). But even though I work with Excel at the office, I can't find a spreadsheet online that will do the formatting the way I need -- expandably.

The one I have seems to be built around one toster at a time. But I want to make a draft pool. I mistakenly believed I could expand the number of cards displayed by expanding the data entry pool (the spreadhsweet does not calculate, just display, and is the one off the PLAAY website).

I don't know why I believed that. One would think a pro user like myself would know better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game and Cardmaking guide have arrived. Which says nothing about randomizing the process for fictional cards -- not what I was planning to do anyway, but the thought had somehow crossed my mind.

If I can figure out the tech stuff involved in making videos, I might do something about making cards, just to show how it appears to work. Mind you, the way I am likely to do it may not match the process Keith goes to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
My game and Cardmaking guide have arrived. Which says nothing about randomizing the process for fictional cards -- not what I was planning to do anyway, but the thought had somehow crossed my mind.

If I can figure out the tech stuff involved in making videos, I might do something about making cards, just to show how it appears to work. Mind you, the way I am likely to do it may not match the process Keith goes to.

I made my own random charts for each trait where I can use a d10 or d20 to roll for each trait (with most possible results being "no trait") -- plus a separate set for pitching traits -- and charts for handedness of pitchers and batters. I used the How-To Guide info to help me balance the charts.

I created a fictional women's baseball league (similar to the Century League set) but I haven't yet transferred all the info for each player onto a card, yet. Right now, I just have a list of names with position(s) and traits.

All of this stuff is still in pencil on paper. Maybe I will type them up someday and make them available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.