Popular Tags: [View All]
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made it well known for about a month before Christmas the game I wanted above all others. And so, when the last stop at various relatives transpired and I went home Survive!-less, my wife took pity on me and so we embarked on my first excursion to e-Bay. A few weeks later, the game was bought, and Monday... it arrived.

First thing I did, was call the wife while she was at work and asked her what chores I needed to do. I needed to be reminded that I was a grownup with responsibilities. Also, I wanted to leave the game wrapped up. Amy (that would be my wife, just for clarity's sake) hates football, but loves watching me watch football. Using that logic, I figured she may not enjoy the game, but at least she could get a kick out of watching me rip through the shipping package. I then proceeded to clean the house like never before for the sake of keeping occupied.

Wife came home, packaging shredded, photos taken (because she is a serial scrapbooker) and then came the dliemma. It was one hour until we both needed to leave for a bit, her for some church responsibilities, and myself for a game of bridge. So do we wait, maybe until tomorrow to play, or do we play now knowing we won't get to finish.

Of course we played.

The trick of this game is this: recently, I have been into the Euro-style of game: Leonardo Da Vinci, Ra, Elasund. So to get back to the Ameritrash roots was a shift of mindset for me and her. Amy kept asking for advice, trying to figure out strategies and figuring out preciselyt the best move. I kept saying "I don't know, I haven't played this game in twenty years. Just do something" while bouncing around like a toddler on Red Bull. And as I made little Jaws music every time I moved a shark, every time I let out a faux shriek of horror when my meeples got sharkified, she slowly got into the spirit of it. And just as the game was getting good.....

.... time to leave. Bridge was abnormally unsatisfying. But when I came home and Amy was the one who suggested that we finish the game that night instead of putting it off until tomorrow..... I knew she was hooked.

In the end, I won because while we got the same number to the shore, but her 6 and 4 didn't make it, but that doesn't matter, really. She'll play again. And so I won in a far greater fashion than I anticipated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is truly better to give than to recieve...

Your wife has, of course, given you several wonderful gifts along with the game of Survive!

1. She is willing to play the game with you.

2. She WANTED to play the game with you.

3. She let you win!

I love Survive! It is a great game- I first had it in 1984, and still have at least one copy of it, as well as making sure my brother and sister both got a copy of it back in the 80s.

So, as we say when we play the game...

...keep on swimming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.