United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please list any recent wargames (stand-alone games or scenarios) you have COMPLETED since your post in the previous thread. And please continue to add more wargames as you complete them.

Let's end the year with a bang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb

A muddy bang! Three games in last night with Mike. Two victories in a smaller scenario (one saved just in the final melee) and then one loss in the longer, twelve turn scenario 3 (?) where the French have to sweep left and right to try hold onto both a hill and the forest against waves of Germans. I got pushed off the hill quite handily, but not before showing the Bosch the carnage a decent platoon of French machine guns can wreak.

We're also part-way (1941) through a three player game of

that we started with a Mike and another fellow grog last Sunday before the Grey Cup game started. I'm playing Uncle Joe and the other two started in 1939 going at it tooth and nail, despite Clint's (Germany) poor start against the stubbornly resistant French forces and whip-smart Royal Navy. The Italian forces, trying to push out the British influence in Yugoslavia, performed, well, much like the Italians are classically "known" to do. That is to say, more than two years of campaigns later, the Brits are still there.

Sadly, the Eastern front is now weak and ripe for plunder. Mwa-ha-ha.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played this several times, but this was the first game that actually went all twelve turns. The cease fire was rolled on Turn 8, but the second roll kept failing, so the game went all the way. The Israelis were hard pressed as the Egyptian Exploitation Force was released on Turn 3, but a few good counterattacks on Turns 9 and 10 opened a path to the Canal. Sharon's forces crossed over and took enough objectives to secure an Israeli win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb

Set it up on Sunday, and watched Zulu while playing a few rounds. Was up early this morning with an hour to spare, and played twice. Lost both rounds though. Curse those 3 step chits!
----------------------------------------
Zulus on the Ramparts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Pacific

Scenario 2.

This system is very fun.

As the Japanese lose steps, their morale increases as their range decreases, while conserving the same firepower, so it seems they just want to go into melee of their own accord.

Simple and elegant at the same time. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno reo
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Campaign game (25 turns) of The Mighty Endeavor revised edition without the expansion. Only the westfront. Ended in a German victory. I am thinking about playing the Eastfront also seperately if it is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Sherrange
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished the 1796 campaing of Field Commander Napoleon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or are Canadians over-represented in the wargame forums on a per capita basis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Pacific

Scenario 2.

This system is very fun.

As the Japanese lose steps, their morale increases as their range decreases, while conserving the same firepower, so it seems they just want to go into melee of their own accord.

Simple and elegant at the same time. cool
That's a really clever mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doughboyca wrote:
Is it just me, or are Canadians over-represented in the wargame forums on a per capita basis?

I don't think that it's just you, I think it might be all of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
doughboyca wrote:

What makes you think that?

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

Better soldiers, better wargamers.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
We also have long, cold winters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
We also have long, cold winters.

That's what I was thinking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On 28th November my brother-in-law and I played the 1861 three turn scenario from

with a Confederate substantial victory (They entered Kentucky when the Union was low on West theater CPs).
I wasn't able to post it on last month's list, so I'm using the current one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Cierpicki
Malta
Gharb
Gozo
flag msg tools
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges . . .
badge
Hey, stop tickling me with your cursor!
mbmbmbmbmb

A three-player game of Victory in Europe, Barbarossa campaign, played over two consecutive days on an enlarged map:

The picture shows the at start set-up. Game was made especially interesting as Turkey joined the Axis in 1941 and the Germans managed to link up with the Turks through southern Russia, capturing and holding most of the Soviet resources along the way.

The Allies conceded a minor German victory at the end of 1944. A long and hard fought game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Lost the 'Tiebreak' scenario (extended 'Operation Husky') spectacularly. If I should have made a right turn, I made a left. Did almost nothing right. Can I blame a very busy morning? I think not.

We then did a quick 1644 scenario from my friend's game 'Cromwell' - ECW block style and a great game to boot. I lost that one as well but at least it was a calculated gamble that I didn't quite pull off.

We finished with a quick game of Arena. Not a wargame but fast playing and at least history themed. I won that one but it was probably a charity case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Stars II!

Andrzej & I finally play again! Our 3rd game, but we were rusty and messed up rules a few times...

Played on sector 2, with the singularities and thus very high mobility, making it hard to defend colonies (and we ended up destroying most of each others', so our economies were worse than in earlier games).

Andrzej accidentally included a B ship in his setup, but luckily I noticed after a few turns and we more or less fairly undid that. Later we realized he built a base within 2 hexes of a singularity, which we couldn't really undo and which helped him early on. Later in a crucial battle at my homeworld we damaged 2 of my last ships as if they were capital ships, but they weren't and thus should have been destroyed. We mostly undid that in the next battle in my turn, which I lost anyway and thus lost the game by sudden death.

The singularities letting you move all around the center for free really change things and make it hard to defend anything in the center against sudden attack. Fun different weird map. We still have one more map to try before we'll have played all 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell King
United Kingdom
Hebden Bridge
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Rapid Deployment Force (RDF) - an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D McHenry
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wrapped up a game of World In Flames the other day. Went to Jan/Feb 44 before the Axis finally threw in the towel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At 'Round the Table Wargame Wednesday:

Two games of Quartermaster General.

The Allies easily won both. In the first game I was the Japanese and never got things going. In game two I was the Soviets and along with the U.K. we never let the Axis get going in Europe while the U.S. made a nice campaign across the Pacific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo, another wargame friend visited this evening - 2 nights in a row of wargames.

We started with our old standby favorite, Combat Commander: Europe.
Random scenario, my Brits vs his Italians, on the crazy plain map (no terrain except a road). He got the first turn and the first attack, doing some nasty damage with machine guns and mortars to my guys sitting in an open field, and within a few turns my good +2 leader died, and it was pretty much downhill from there. The turn 8 sudden death roll ended the game, with him winning by about 16 VP.

Then we pulled out Austerlitz 20, which I got in a math trade back in March, but we'd not played yet. We both like the Napoleonic 20 system, and we enjoyed this one. My Allies started off well, getting several routs and breaks against his French units. But then I got greedily aggressive and made some unnecessary attacks, reducing my morale below his, so in the end, it was a tie result. (Neither of us hit 0 morale, and Allied final morale was below the French.) Ah well, better than my loss in Combat Commander!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally getting some plays in for Tokyo Express.

The basic game isn't hard at all. The movement system for the Japanese is clever and easy to implement. I'm struggling with the combat phase as there is a lot that goes into getting all the ships firing torpedoes and guns at the other ships. Even with the small number of ships involved, it's a bit of a struggle untangling all the targeting rules.

If the basic game offers some accurate insight into naval battles during this time, I don't see how the U.S. managed to win an engagement. The U.S. side is very overmatched vs. torpedoes (expected), but I wasn't prepared for the U.S. CA's being under-gunned compared to the Japanese CA's.

My first combat round resulted in the U.S. fleet taking 14 hits and losing a DD while the Japanese fleet only took 5 hits, sinking the DD and scratching the paint on a CL.

Staying at medium range until the Japanese are out of torpedoes seems to be the best strategy, but it's hard to tell as the U.S. is out matched at every range.

I suspect the game will even up when I move on to the standard rules. Surface radar should have some positive benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just completed a quick solo play of Scenario 1 "Civil War in the Philippines" of this classic entry in Victory Games "Fleet" series...

The Soviets scored a marginal victory by getting both convoy units to their destination on Mindoro in the Philippines, though one convoy was damaged by a USN Harpoon attack. The US also sank a Russian cruiser and destroyed a squadron of MiG-23's, without any US losses, which helped dilute the level of Soviet victory. I had only ever played Sixth Fleet in the past, and really enjoyed my first play of 7th Fleet. I own the whole series, so I will eventually get to each of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished my second campaign game of Blitz! A World in Conflict. I like it - it has some innovative ideas and lets you scratch the "global WW2" itch with a small footprint. It doesn't replace WIF because despite sharing the same subject matter, Blitz and WIF are clearly aiming at different niches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

It is about war. War is all about food, ammo and gas.

Patton races far ahead but is unable to cross Rhine in face of stiff Axis resistance. Brad has the most medals mainly by feeding civilian and capturing objectives. Monty staggers but he then defeats several Axis divisions and rushes forward to capture Antwerpen and wins a tie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.