Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got TED I got rid of Defenders of the Realm as DotR was too big and too long, while TED has a small box, a small foot print, plays quicker and has a shorter set up and tear down time, While providing a similar game experience.

Though there's one big difference among the two gamers: the heroes activation, that id's random in TED.

While it's a mechanic I didn't dislike, many people don't appreciate the randomness, so I thought: why not eliminate the heroes activation cards from the turn deck (which is made only from enemy and monster cards and give the players a fixed amount of actions per turn.

In a two hero game, where the total amount of actions pet turn, according to the actual rules, would be 3+3+3/4, so 9-10.
To compensate that the players would benefit from the elimination of the random factor, the players would have 4 actions each per turn, to be used as the players decide after an enemy card is flipped.

I tried this variant last night and it works well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it some thought Michele, but honestly the game is already not exciting as it is, Trasforming it in a Excel spreadsheet won't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried out your idea yet, but in principle I rather like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I did was, shuffle and lay out the ally cards and then shuffle and lay out the enemy cards between the ally cards.

After the first round, I picked up the enemy cards, added a horde card, shuffled and laid them out between and after the ally cards.

Third round the space between the first 2 ally cards got 2 enemy cards.

And so on.

It removes randomness... Sort of.

I tried it and, well, it... doesn't make the game any worse.

I dislike this game as it is, it feels unbeatable unless you get lucky. Everything is going along well, the big bad shows up and you can either hurt him, not defend any regions and lose. Or not hurt him and tread water.

This made it less quick, more thinky, but just as impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
When I got TED I got rid of Defenders of the Realm
In a two hero game, where the total amount of actions pet turn, according to the actual rules, would be 3+3+3/4, so 9-10.

That's a miscount: for a 2-hero game it's 2 hero-specific activation cards and _2_ Group Ally cards, so 3+3+(2*(3/4)), for 12-14. One- and two-hero games both get 2 Group Ally cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.