13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Mark McCaffery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello after doing alot of thinking I'm now trying to decide between around 3 light-medium games. They are Blue Moon City, Thurn and Taxis and Ticket to Ride. What are anyone's opinions on these 3 or does anyone have a game in mind that blows all 3 away? thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played TTR and it's a lot of fun. If you want a game that nongamers or youngish gamers will like, but gamers will still enjoy, then it's the one to get. It does have some strategy also, but there's a fair amount of luck also. After a few games most people will be good enough to have a chance against even the best players (who can be found on the DoW online version if you care to look for them).

I haven't played BMC or T&T yet, but BMC will probably be in my next game order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy them all. Personally, I would say 1. Ticket to Ride, 2. Thurn and Taxis, 3. Blue Moon: City (in order of how often I play them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McCaffery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Right and if I should choose to buy ticket to ride, which is the best version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TTR, the original one is getting rarer to find apparently. I own the Europe one, friends hold the Marklin and another friend the Europe.

I would be tempted to get the original and the 1910 expansion, if I was in your shoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McCaffery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am purchasing these games from the german amazon so will i have issues with language or are the components for ticket to ride language independent? Are english rules easy enough to come by online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules:

http://www.ticket2ridegame.com/index.php?t=content&sub=rules...

long link!

Components are language independent.

EDIT: oh, and by the way, get T2R, T&T AND BMC!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespasien wrote:
Hello after doing alot of thinking I'm now trying to decide between around 3 light-medium games. They are Blue Moon City, Thurn and Taxis and Ticket to Ride. What are anyone's opinions on these 3 or does anyone have a game in mind that blows all 3 away? thanx

Welcome to the Geek!

I've played all three.

Of these three, I only own Blue Moon City. I think it is one of the best Knizia designs in years.

Regarding the other two, I never need to play them again and wouldn't have them in my collection. If I were given copies I would try to trade them for other games as quickly as possible. But other people clearly like them.

Here is a list that might help you, you can pull up this kind of information in the advance search at the top of the page:

http://tinyurl.com/yuv5ev

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Regarding the other two, I never need to play them again and wouldn't have them in my collection. If I were given copies I would try to trade them for other games as quickly as possible. But other people clearly like them.

Keep in mind that these might be the first set of games Mark is buying. While I'm not a huge fan of Ticket to Ride (still enjoy Marklin) these days, I thought it was unbelievable the first time I played it. This was the game that sparked my interest the hobby.

All three are worth getting. If you are a new gamer I would recommend Ticket to Ride first followed by Blue Moon City and then Thurn and Taxis.

Currently, I enjoy Blue Moon City the most but if I was just starting out in the hobby, perhaps not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two, T&T and BMC and have played TTR. I think that the easiest one to get a non-gamer to play is TTR. The theme and gameplay are very user-friendly. T&T is enjoyable but the board can be dark and difficult to read sometimes.

Also, when the option of designing a postal system versus a railroad network is brought up, I think that a new player would lean towards the railroad network. TTR is actually a good bridging game into T&T.

BMC's fantasy theme can be a turnoff for some people. My wife has an unwarranted preconception of fantasy games as appealing only to socially awkward LOTR and Star Trek fans. I enjoy the game and theme but realize that she will never play it.

Have fun with whatever you choose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark!

How many players do you usually have access to?

If you ever find yourself with only 2, then I would opt for either Thurn und Taxis or Blue Moon City. Ticket to Ride is a great game, but with 2... not so good.

My wife and I have played both T&T and BMC and enjoyed both. BMC can have a bit more interaction, if you choose to do so, but both are enjoyable and scale 2+. T&T gets played a bit more, but I think that is because my wife has a thing for maps! meeple

T&T will also soon have a full-fledged expansion, Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Vespasien wrote:
I am purchasing these games from the german amazon so will i have issues with language or are the components for ticket to ride language independent? Are english rules easy enough to come by online?

All three of these games have language-independent components. You'll just need English versions of the rules.

I've played all three. Ticket to Ride and Thurn and Taxis are very similar to one another. I think Ticket to Ride is simpler to explain and learn how to play and Thurn and Taxis is more of a puzzle. Of those two, I like Thurn and Taxis better.

But, I like Blue Moon City better than both. There's quite a bit to do with the cards in Blue Moon City compared to the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
As many have said already, T&T and BMC are the better choices. Actually, I genuinely dislike TTR. It feels far too simplistic and way too reliant on luck to be much fun for me. T&T isn't exactly rocket science either but I like the flow of play much more. Of the three, BMC is, I think, the best choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.