Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

I envy you wargamers who have met people to play FTF with either once or twice a week. I've read these post from people saying they are meeting up with their groups to play once a week and I say to myself I envy them...
Living in NYC you would think there would be more groups to play wargames but instead I find more euro gaming.

So my question is how many of you guys have a FTF partner(s)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Half a dozen within a 15 mile radius.

Can't believe the same wouldn't be true for NYC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
eddy_sterckx wrote:

I'm probably not looking hard enough which I should,,,. trying to recruit friends Into the hobby but it's slow sledding..

But I like to hear how other people pan out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Same here in Montreal. Our problem is not so much that we don't have people to play with, it's just that everyone is fairly busy with real life. Still we cycle between partners and try to limit our wargaming to games that can be played in an evening/weekend. Aside from some monster games of Empires in Arms, it's fairly rare for us to play a multi-session game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are over 50 people who will at least occasionally play wargames in the Dallas Fort Worth area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally recruited/found enough people that the problem by now is free evenings ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one local chap who I play with about 3-4 times a month. I have a couple of other friends who I play with a couple of times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barber
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play FTF with a group of about 5-6 people (usually just two at a time) about once every 2 weeks. My big issue is finding times that work for everyone. Most of the people in my group have similar schedules so it just works out.

I have yet to get into VASSAL but I have it on my to-do list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
claystone wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

I'm probably not looking hard enough which I should,,,. trying to recruit friends Into the hobby but it's slow sledding..

Trying to convince friends to join your hobby is not a winning strategy in my book. What does work is posting/reacting to an "opponent wanted for game x" message on a wargame forum or joining a Facebook wargame group.

But there are some requirements though :

1) You need to find FTF wargaming important enough as a hobby to find/make/schedule time for it. People who complain about not having the time usually mean to say "FTF wargaming is not high enough on my list of priorities to make time for it"

2) You need to step into your car and drive 5-10 miles. It's astonishing how many times I've come across wargamers for whom crossing the street to play a FTF game is just too much hassle. Couldn't understand that until I finally figured out that while they might publicly say that they want to play FTF, in reality they just want to sit quietly in their basement and work out some solo strategies/recreate battles. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but I just wish they wouldn't lie to themselves and the rest of the world about wanting to play FTF because they really don't.

3) No, you won't be able to play your favorite wargame in your first session with a new gamer/group. You show up for a game you might even not like that much, but if you're pleasant to game with, you're going to get re-invited, create a rapport with other wargamers and only then can you think about hosting a gamenight playing your favorite game.

4) If you really strike out everywhere there's this : most major cities have a FLGS with usually one night a week dedicated to boardgaming. Yes, I know, half the guys showing up that night will be playing Money the Gathering anyway, but there will be some eurogamers too. Play their games, get to know them, see who might be interested to try this wargame thing. Start with something light like Memoir '44 or such and work your way up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one regular opponent with whom I game once or twice a month. I have two other opponents with whom I game a couple of times a year. I could game with more opponents if I wanted because I know more people who play, but I choose to limit my gaming to my close friends. I don't really enjoy playing with relative strangers. My gaming partners are friends first, gamers second.

I also have a fairly busy schedule so I only have so much free time available. I have however picked up my solo play a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally know at least a couple dozen wargamers in NYC. Where are you in the city? I can pass your name on to some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's four of us that make up the RWG (Regina War Gamers), but weekly, we usually only manage 2-player sessions.
One of our members hosts an all-day gaming con at his place over the holidays, and the 4 of us usually get together for that. This year we'll be taking Genesis: Empires and Kingdoms of the Ancient Middle East out for a spin, with a 2nd smaller game as a filler.
Time to play is the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost exclusively FTF. I have been playing for 30+ years, and am just now playing my first Vassal game.

Growing up, I always had some friends that played. After moving from southeast PA to middle TN as an adult, I've hooked up with a local group and have been playing weekly. I still manage to squeeze in a game with my PA friends when I go home for Christmas - something that can be played in one sitting, like a shorter scenario or a COIN game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing once per week with someone who lives a ten minute bike ride from my house. The thing is, a year ago we didn't live in the same city. We met through the Toronto Area Boardgaming Society who run quarterly cons. At the time both of us were an hour+ drive from Toronto on opposite sides of the city. So the point is if we both just sat in our basement/attic we wouldn't have met. Most of the players out there are playing Euros but in every crowd there are usually at least a couple of grognards. In a large metropolitan area it's a certainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty lucky. I now have a weekly wargame session with

Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb

three minute drive from my house. Furthermore, another frequent FtF gamer who lives a short two minutes walking in the other direction from my house is

Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

who is also into some of the more elegant wargames (Maria, Napoleon's Triumph) and is even willing to dabble in games like Combat Commander (and did quite well) and Up Front, and others.

Both my kids play wargames ... the oldest loves Sekigahara and plays a mean game of Combat Commander, while the younger is focused on crushing me in Up Front.

Cal Janik-Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Luke Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Additionally, there are several folks in a local, six meetings a year game group (Breslau) who are wargamers, two other wargamers in Guelph (30 minutes), several miniatures folks in London (an hour), and there are a decent number of wargamers among the 250-300 that show up at TABSCONs in Toronto (quarterly). Plus I run a monthly game night in my office, though wargames rarely hit the table (there used to be one wargamer out to that meeting pretty regularly but he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth the past year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
My youngest son plays several times a month, and usually have another group I meet with about twice a month. Sadly, that's about all I have time for. Do get in some quality games, and try to get to a Convention or two during the year to dig in deeper to longer games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all the old grognards ...

Put an ad in THE GENERAL for 25 cents back in 1982 ... Found another subscriber 2 miles away and have been wargaming with him usually once a week for now 33 years ...

On the table this weekend was WIF Blitz!

ONE cent per year - a good return on my money ...

-----------------------------------------------
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society

SNEW (Southern New England Wargamers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I have one regular opponent with whom I game once or twice a month. I have two other opponents with whom I game a couple of times a year. I could game with more opponents if I wanted because I know more people who play, but I choose to limit my gaming to my close friends. I don't really enjoy playing with relative strangers. My gaming partners are friends first, gamers second.

I also have a fairly busy schedule so I only have so much free time available. I have however picked up my solo play a bit.

This almost exactly describes me too. I'm happy with my 'once or twice a month' games and enjoy my solo games in the meantime. The two activities scratch different itches for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost exclusively face to face.

I'm in Brooklyn, and affiliated with Metropolitan Wargamers, though I haven't been down in a while as an unholy combination of Empires in Arms and World in Flames seems to be keeping the board wargamers busy. Still, if you don't mind cigarette smoke (or you're willing to confine yourself in a much smaller space up front), it's worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play face to face*. One of the appeals of boardgaming to me is the tactile feel of the components and the opponent across the table from me. While I've played games online before (Through the Ages, for example), I find I don't enjoy games that span several weeks in order to finish.

My partner is my main gaming opponent, and we probably play on average one wargame a week (sometimes more). I've also got other gamers who I game with, and I have other opportunities for F2F wargames, thankfully.

*I'm more of a CDG wargamer, and play the games that are more suited to a few hours for a full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a regular ftf opponent and a monthly group I go to that mainly do wargames (95%). I also go to a weekly club where sometimes I will get in a wargame or at least a war themed game. There's another group down South where I used to live who I play with when I get to go back to my home town (about once a quarter on average).

I think I'm fortunate to play wargames with some really great people but it did mean reaching out on BGG and saying 'what about a game', which isn't everyone's cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Add a Zero to the radius and you have my own wargame situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started gaming FTF with Jon in 2012

Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We have lived within about ten blocks of each other since 1989! But neither of us bothered to look around back then. And where we live is so small it's called a village. So in New York, you could quite possibly have someone right around the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Lawrenceville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished moving up to the finger lakes area, so this became a problem for me. I prefer FTF, especially very interactive games like ASL. Tried pbm a couple of times back in the day and found it a very good way to learn a game well, since you have lots of time to make your move. Just downloaded VASL, but haven't used it yet.

Fortunately, Millenium Games is a major hub of gaming and by showing up a couple of times I now have several opponents. It really is all about showing up. As others have already noted, you have to be willing to drive a few miles, or 20 in my case, and play someone else's game at first. Besides, you just might learn some new games you will like, or learn that you don't like something you thought you would.

In the last two visits to FLGS, I learned The Great War (better than I expected), Splendor (meh, it's OK), Roll For The Galaxy (pleasant surprise) and C&C Napoleonics -Leaders and Tactics (love CCN, jury is still out on this variant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.