Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
My nephew, age almost-seven, is hooked on Risk. He's one of those kids that latches onto a game, and then plays it to death. I figured Risk Legacy would fit well with his desire to play the same game over and over, and also improve his parents' enjoyment. So I'm thinking about getting it for him for Christmas.

I'm curious about the appropriateness of Risk for a child that young, both from a thematic content (spoiler-free, please) perspective, and rules complexity. Thoughts? Would his parents be able to guide him along through the rules changes without having to play his hand for him? Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on his reading ability, since he will need to be able to read and understand what his factions special powers are, those will only increase as the game progresses.

He will also have to read certain goal cards that come out later in the game.

As far as content goes, there is really just the artwork on the faction cards, but you would have to go look at it yourself to determine if it would be okay for him, or at least show that artwork to his parents.

There is no foul language or anything obscene IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Parliament
msg tools
mb
I agree with the previous comment. The game lacks obscene content, and isn't necessarily more difficult than regular risk. From those perspectives the game is fine. Language dependence and reading ability are required. If he can't read English proficiently, he probably can't play the game.

My biggest concern is that a legacy style game seems like it would be a bit much for a 7 year old to handle. Some of the choices you make in this game never go away. I have seen mu adult friends become frustrated and upset about strategic moves made by others they disagree with. I have personally placed a few scars that bit my on the butt and regretted having to deal with the result for another 5-10 games.

What I am trying to get at is I think this game would be very frustrating for a child, and not be fun for parents to play with a child. Perhaps this would be more appropriate for a 10 or 12 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also add that the game is best played with a consistent group of four or more players (preferably with five). If there are only three people playing it may be more difficult to fully experience all the content of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Enh, some kids are better at it than others, if he gets it, great, if not :/

I have a niece who beats most adults at card games. I think she's about 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. This is helpful input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:

There is a use of "hell" as an expletive, if I recall.

Beyond that, nothing I've encountered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
klurejr wrote:

There is a use of "hell" as an expletive, if I recall.

Beyond that, nothing I've encountered.

Hell is a translation of the Hebrew word Sheol or the Greek Word Hades and literally means Grave or Burial place.

But I get your point, some might find it objectionable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.