Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Star wars:rebellion vs risk?.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will rebellion kick risks a**?...i heard alot of good stuff about risk so far but i think rebellion will win easily for me..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they'll even be comparable. The new Risk game, while fun, was definitely meant for the mass market. Rebellion is looking to be very much a gamer's game.

So it depends on what you are looking for, but it seems like comparing a filet mignon to a happy meal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

So it depends on what you are looking for, but it seems like comparing a filet mignon to a happy meal.

I really couldn't have put this better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk--snack
Rebellion--main course
----------------------
ROOM FOR BOTH on the shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodney
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I don't think they'll even be comparable. The new Risk game, while fun, was definitely meant for the mass market. Rebellion is looking to be very much a gamer's game.

Though these are different games in the style and mechanics of play, it may come down to the enjoyment of the game. Which leaves a good chance that Star Wars: RISK could rise above Rebellion base on the enjoyment of the game.

Currently, Star Wars: RISK is doing well across the gaming community with all gamers alike. (Check the twitter hashtags and youtube)

We will see how big a splash Rebellion makes in the first quarter of 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I obviously can't compare to Rebellion, but when I compare Risk to other space games I like (Twilight Imperium, Xia, etc), it's definitely a lighter "snack". Enjoyable, and I think it's worth having, but it doesn't even come close to the fun factor I get from other games when I want something with more meat.

True, there will be some who will prefer the lighter fare of Risk over the heavier Rebellion. But I think most "gamers" will probably end up preferring Rebellion in the long run, even if they may play Risk a little more often (because it's much shorter and lighter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Access to customers should be taken into account, not just sales figures. "Star Wars Risk" I assume will have a very big exposure, with shelf loads of copies in major high street chains all over Christmas. I doubt I will ever see a physical copy of "Star Wars: Rebellion" in any bricks and mortar store, at least where I live. All my games of late have been online purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I assumed "kicks ass" means the better game not the one that sells the most. Frankly I don't care how many copies Risk sells. Why would any of us? If Risk sells more copies, good for it. Won't make me want it any more.

As long as Rebellion is...

1) Great as a stand-alone game
2) Sells enough copies for it to be supported with expansions.

...I'm happy.

Star Wars or not, Risk is not even on my radar.

P.S. I'm guessing Rebellion will be a butt-ton more fun than Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dirrim
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
I've played R:SW, several times now. It proves a fun little diversion. I even played the 4-player with my son and two nephews. It's just right for their level (8-12 yrs).

SW:R on the other hand will be a game which will occupy the better part of grown men's minds from March '16--until the next SW bombshell hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.