Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » General

Subject: Lone wolf + Minion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fruchey
United States
Prairieville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids and I were playing ONUW last night. Well, one kid was throwing a tantrum, so it was only four of us. Yes, I realize ONUW is not the best with only 4 players, but nonetheless, we were playing.

In our game, we had one Werewolf and the Minion. More than once, the suspect list was narrowed down to a single player, but it was 50/50 as to whether that player was the Minion or the Werewolf, with the other being unseen in the center. In one instance, another player was the Seer, and just happened to look at the other two non-Werewolf cards in the center.

It was kinda frustrating for the game to come down to a coin flip. I didn't want to add the second Werewolf, opening up the possibility of a 1-villager game. Any suggestions on how to avoid that situation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif The Lucky
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I play WIFOM with empty glasses
badge
Viking's Law: Anything that can go wrong, *SHOULD*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two possible solutions:

1. Look at it this way: if the evil player is a minion, there's no way to win, since he'll be throwing his vote when you try to circle-vote. So might as well kill him and hope he's the werewolf.

2. In my group, we house rule it so that a lone minion becomes a werewolf. Villagers win if they kill him, but only if there are no wolves. Avoids this entire problem.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fruchey
United States
Prairieville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingJ wrote:
2. In my group, we house rule it so that a lone minion becomes a werewolf. Villagers win if they kill him, but only if there are no wolves. Avoids this entire problem.


Not a bad idea. We shy away from house rules for the most part, but this is one I think I could get behind.

Cole wrote:
This might be a dumb idea wrought of the remnants of too much turkey but what about using the tanner. This way it comes down to a 3-sided die. This could give a non-villager pause in directing attention to another player.


I thought about it, but it would still leave the possibility of a 1-villager game, which just felt off. Also, we only have the base game, so no Alpha Wolf. Thanks, though!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif The Lucky
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I play WIFOM with empty glasses
badge
Viking's Law: Anything that can go wrong, *SHOULD*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
questra wrote:
VikingJ wrote:
2. In my group, we house rule it so that a lone minion becomes a werewolf. Villagers win if they kill him, but only if there are no wolves. Avoids this entire problem.


Not a bad idea. We shy away from house rules for the most part, but this is one I think I could get behind.

Cole wrote:
This might be a dumb idea wrought of the remnants of too much turkey but what about using the tanner. This way it comes down to a 3-sided die. This could give a non-villager pause in directing attention to another player.


I thought about it, but it would still leave the possibility of a 1-villager game, which just felt off. Also, we only have the base game, so no Alpha Wolf. Thanks, though!
I've played games which end up with one villager. It's not so off as you might think, as long as everyone recognizes it. It sort of balances things out: there are now more wolves to hit, but villagers are a little more cautious about giving up all their information, since they may want to claim robber who robbed wolf.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kelly
msg tools
How about two werewolves no minion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingJ wrote:
Two possible solutions:

1. Look at it this way: if the evil player is a minion, there's no way to win, since he'll be throwing his vote when you try to circle-vote. So might as well kill him and hope he's the werewolf.

2. In my group, we house rule it so that a lone minion becomes a werewolf. Villagers win if they kill him, but only if there are no wolves. Avoids this entire problem.


Just wanted to point out, this isn't necesary, as the rules already say the same thing basically. (lone minion without a werewolf has to kill a villager to win, essentially becoming a werewolf)

So the op can go ahead and kill the single suspect in his original example, and the village will win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif The Lucky
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I play WIFOM with empty glasses
badge
Viking's Law: Anything that can go wrong, *SHOULD*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
VikingJ wrote:
Two possible solutions:

1. Look at it this way: if the evil player is a minion, there's no way to win, since he'll be throwing his vote when you try to circle-vote. So might as well kill him and hope he's the werewolf.

2. In my group, we house rule it so that a lone minion becomes a werewolf. Villagers win if they kill him, but only if there are no wolves. Avoids this entire problem.


Just wanted to point out, this isn't necesary, as the rules already say the same thing basically. (lone minion without a werewolf has to kill a villager to win, essentially becoming a werewolf)

So the op can go ahead and kill the single suspect in his original example, and the village will win.
According to the rules, his win condition changes, but the villagers doesn't. He's not a werewolf, so the villagers need to find a way to circle vote. Since he needs to point to a random villager to prevent it from happening, they can't realistically win, which is why we use the house rule.

EDIT: Also, note that a lone werewolf doesn't need to kill a villager. So even according to the rules, lone minion doesn't have the same win conditions as a werewolf.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A fair distinction, but my advice is the same; the village needs to find and kill the minion, at the very least to eliminate his chance of winning by spoil ing a circle vote and getting the win with a kill.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.