I found the setup instructions rather unclear. This is what we gathered when we tried a 5p game on the Europa map with the Salt and the Forum tiles.
If playing with Salt:
1) Remove one A Food City, one B Tool City, one C Wine City, and one D Brick City. Replace these with the A-D salt cities.
2) Everyone now starts with one of each kind of resource (including salt), and starting money is determined as for the normal game.
4) Everyone gets two Blue forum cards to start with, and they pick one and discard the other. The discards are added to the remaining blues and greens, shuffled up, and then four of them are put on the Forum card.
Is that basically all the extra setup? (and did we get that right?)
Some questions that arose during play:
- Salt acts as a wildcard resource when building or buying cards, but can't be bought or sold via the Mercator. And each salt city counts as any one kind of good for Minerva cards. Is that correct?
Yes. However, please note that you can convert Salt to any resource (as a "free action") in order to sell it via the Mercator. This is pretty handy for an early Mercator (convert Salt to Cloth (or Wine), sell two Cloth for 7+7+3 sestertii, and buy a couple Bricks (or Food)).
- Can you hold onto green cards (and then use them up and discard them), or do you have to use them as soon as possible (or when you next play the card that is written on them)?
You can hold onto them until you decide to use them.