Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So most of the games I play are 6 player games just because of the size of my gaming group. With that said, if they were to create an expansion where they added another playable character from a Shakespeare's plays who would you want to see and what ability would you give them?

I like the cast of characters (Hamelt, Juliet, Falstaff, Othello, Viola) and I think the best additions would probably be Benedick (Much Ado About Nothing), Mariana (Measure for Measure), Gratiano (The Merchant of Venice), or Tranio (The Taming of the Shrew). No idea what their abilities would be, but what do you guys think? Who would be another good character to add to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't read all of the comics, you'd have to go with a character that has a strong presence in that story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

an expansion would be great

giving us cubes (not those punch out cheap squares)
rewrite that rule book - are you kidding on that one? cry

add a new character or two or three

and, of course, you can always add some more cards to each deck
to expand re-playability
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jabooty3 wrote:
While I haven't read all of the comics, you'd have to go with a character that has a strong presence in that story.

Why is that? From what I have seen Viola is technically not a character that has a strong presence in the story, but she is still included as a playable character in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

Don t think there will ever be an expansion. The game does not sell very well, i think. Partially because of the bad critics on the rulebook and components and also because ratings here are bad. Essepcially since some ones to tree s were added short after kickstarter. People were too dissapointed that some even never played the game.
Don t think a rewrite of the rulebook will happen any day soon. Haven t heard about it anymore. The next best thing we can do is to come hete almost every day and help if needed.

We had another character ready. Romeo. His bad con ability was that he can t be in the same spot as juliet ( since the relation in the books is a bit difficult) and pro that he always has one troop ( paladins ). Of course he should only be used when juliet is in play too.
There could ve more...

I m bot a shakespeare expert. But of you gove some thematical pro s and cons of the characters you named, we can try to make a playable character here.
If you would play the game with six, you probably have to put more richard influence down at the start of the game. We never tested it for 6. But it should be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wasp wrote:
Don t think there will ever be an expansion.

That is a shame as it is a great little game once you start playing it.

The Wasp wrote:
The game does not sell very well, i think.

Really? I ask because I have played it with others and the worst review I ever heard was, "this is such a great game, I wish I could play as (insert their favorite Shakespearean character here.)"

The Wasp wrote:
Partially because of the bad critics on the rulebook and components and also because ratings here are bad.

Maybe its just me but the ratings for this game are not bad at all. However I will attest that the rulebook is a bit of a challenge to get through and I would have preferred not to have to purchase my own cubes for the game which in my opinion are a must have.

The Wasp wrote:
Essepcially since some ones to tree s were added short after kickstarter. People were too dissapointed that some even never played the game.

Did not know about this.

The Wasp wrote:
Don t think a rewrite of the rulebook will happen any day soon. Haven t heard about it anymore. The next best thing we can do is to come hete almost every day and help if needed.

As a gamer I can tell you I really appreciate that attitude and I think the rule summary available here does a great job of serving as an official rewrite.

The Wasp wrote:
We had another character ready. Romeo. His bad con ability was that he can t be in the same spot as juliet ( since the relation in the books is a bit difficult) and pro that he always has one troop ( paladins ). Of course he should only be used when juliet is in play too.
There could ve more...

I kind of like the idea of having Juliet without Romeo and so have many of my female gaming friends. No big loss there, but I am curious as to what others there were.

The Wasp wrote:
I m bot a shakespeare expert. But of you gove some thematical pro s and cons of the characters you named, we can try to make a playable character here.

Wow, I really appreciate that. Probably the best ones to use are Benedick and Mariana. These are some facts about them along with their corresponding play:

Benedick (Much Ado About Nothing): Young lord of Padua, who has just returned from serving in the army of Don Pedro, Prince of Aragon. Benedick's sharpest weapon is his wit and upon his return to Messina, he vows never to marry and to remain a consomate bachelor. Along comes Beatrice, whom he engages with in a competition to outwit, outsmart, and out-insult the other. Benedick seemingly does this back and forth performance with Beatrice for the benefit of those watching, but to his observant friends, this self proclaimed bachelor seems to protest commitment too much as they know he indulges in witty hyperbole to express his feelings. While he mocks his friend for his romantic feelings for another, he nevertheless decides that he would like to get married after all when he hears of Beatrice’s feelings towards him. During their wedding at the end of the play Benedick continuing their witty banter teases Beatrice, by saying he's only marrying her out of pity.

Mariana (Measure for Measure): She is the ex-fiancée of Angelo, he broke his contract of marriage with her very abruptly when she lost her dowry in a shipwreck that killed her brother. This was a pretty traumatic experience for her because, when we're first introduced to Mariana, she's isolated, living by herself in a farmhouse that's surrounded by a moat. Angelo has been put in charge of Vienna in the Duke's absence and he is currently set to marry Juliet (a different Juliet.) Claudio got Juliet pregnant and an angry Angelo sentences him to death. Isabella, Claudio's sister begs Angelo to have mercy on Claudio and Angelo promises to set him free if she has sex with him. All the while the Duke has been silently observing from the background disguised as a friar in order to see how the populace will respond to harsher rule. In other words, he puts Angelo in charge so that he becomes the fall guy for any backlash that comes from the policies he is testing out. Now with all that backstory out of the way Mariana, Isabella, and the Duke come up with a plan where Mariana substitutes for Isabella in the darkened room so Angelo won’t know the difference and will pardon Claudio. It all goes according to plan and Angelo is fooled, but he double crosses the double cross and orders Claudio's death anyway. So to make a long story short, the Duke returns and has Mariana and Isabella confront Angelo and expose him for his hypocrisy. Angelo is so humiliated he asks to be put to death. However the Duke ends up convincing Angelo to marry Mariana now that she is no longer a virgin, and she finally gets her man at the end.

The Wasp wrote:
If you would play the game with six, you probably have to put more richard influence down at the start of the game. We never tested it for 6. But it should be possible.

How much more Richard influence would have to be put down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to hear that a lot of people enjoy the game. For us, we only see what comes on here. And if ratings and comments are bad, we don t know more than that. So if your friends do enjoy the game, ask them to write a comment or a rating . It would help the game a bit.

I do know Benedik! Loved the film with kenneth Brannagh and Emma Thomson. Of course the film isn t the real deal. But if i remember correctly they spoke shakespearean .
There could be some interaction with juliet since she s a women... Would have to think about it. Story s always give good gameideas. So I m sure there would be a nice angle to make the character interesting.
Mariana is new to me. Interesting character too.

About putting down eichards influence. Things depend a bit on how your group plays. If they like to play well together or are emore focussed on backstabbing. Anyxay, maybe try to count the richards influence at the start of a 5 playergame, devide it through 5 and multiply it by 6. Not sure if it s going to be ok... Should be I think. Round up if you like cuttroat or round down for more relaxing. Be aware to put one or two extra on ardens and avon than on the other regions. Hope there will be enough missions for 6 players. Probably you will have to use the action of putndown influence or move influence a little more than in a 5 player game.

Good luck! Curious if it will work fine... Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.