Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there any thought of having mortars fire on units within LOS of Officers only, not just any unit? This would reflect the fact that only leaders would have radio communication with support units. Was this playtested as such? Just curious. I think it would add another dimension to the officers in the game....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Von Ravn
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point!

Having been a mortarsectioncommander as a draftee (3 tubes), I believe your have a good point, though they should be able to fire at targets within their own LOS as well.

At another note, why are they unable to use their small arms? I understand that they do not participate in an assault, but even back then mortarcrews were equippet with rifles and LMG's.

In the rules a mortarsection being adjacent to an enemy squad, are NOT allowed to fire with smallarms at the enemy?? Couldn't they just fire with half value or something?

Still this game is an absolute must have - can't wait laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravn wrote:
In the rules a mortarsection being adjacent to an enemy squad, are NOT allowed to fire with smallarms at the enemy?? Couldn't they just fire with half value or something?

I'm assuming you're asking about the actual crew itself? Otherwise, if infantry are in the same squad, they can fire at an adjacent enemy. But the crew, presumably being busy with the mortar, cannot. The player must choose, though, whether to activate the crew to fire or the infantry to fire:

In the rules under Mortar Crew, it says ", if a mortar crew is in the
same squad as two regular infantry, and an enemy unit is within
LOS of the squad, the owner of the squad must decide whether to
attack with the two regular infantry, or the mortar crew."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Jones
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
So Put two mortar crews on the base, then both can fire in the same activation. Last Paragraph on the left column pg 39.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wester
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think that's the question, though. The question seems to be that if a mortar squad is adjacent to the enemy, they're helpless--moreso because they're Heavy Infantry and can't simply take a Fire and Move.

A better solution than allowing them to fire at half strength (which would still make a squad of two mortars stronger than regular squads), instead give them a Firepower of 1 at Range 1 against Infantry, 0-0 against vehicles ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.