Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played Day 1 of a Navy "training mission" over Hawaii (ie this total debacle doesn't count) to learn the rules, and of course I have at least one question that's not covered in the FAQ:

Question 1) Can the Marines use the MQ-47B?

It seems to me the Marines are at a great advantage in this scenario because ECM Pods are useless, and their "Nap of the Earth" flying is the only thing that can prevent every enemy shot from resulting in "Damaged" or worse- yes my die rolls are that bad. It's a good thing some Bandits need 9+ to do serious damage, cause I almost never roll less than an 8 when they're attacking with one die.

Plus when you've spent all your SO on 4 Stealth Fighters, the Marines get some of that back because they insist on flying Harrier jets.

The two main Navy strategies are gone- ECM Pods and AGM-88s are useless. (Actually they're the only strategies I've learned so far )

Question 2) Can you still use the ECM Pod to halve the Stress cost of evading?

It seems like only Stealth aircraft have any chance to make it to the Target without getting Damaged/Shot Down. Once little Nomad dropped his piddly payload I used him to draw fire away from the manned aircraft- so I actually learned a new strategy on Day 1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was right about the Marines- they're doing way better than the Navy so far. But it leads to more questions. Namely...is the Nuke too powerful? All you have to do is get to the Center Area and you obliterate the Target.

Am I playing this right?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Non-Euclidean Space was in play, so I gave the Bomb to my craziest Pilot with an insanity level 2, and armed everyone else for suppression to protect him. He was able to move right to the center and killed an Overlord!

It seemed too easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Just played Day 1 of a Navy "training mission" over Hawaii (ie this total debacle doesn't count)

quite right too

Thoth Amon wrote:
is the Nuke too powerful?

I honestly don't know what to say

I don't know the official answer to whether marines can use the MQ-47s but I suspect they can only be used when playing the large deck option because they don't have VSTOL capability like the F-35 and AV-8B do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the MQ-47B is a real thing- I thought they made it up for the game!

According to this article http://www.uasvision.com/2012/01/18/us-navy-rushing-the-mq-4... (which is one of the few articles I can find about it anywhere) it has a range of 2,500 KM so maybe it could be launched from an airbase 1250km away instead of from the carrier. But for now I'll only use them with the Navy. Most articles call it the X-47B so I guess that means it's still a prototype.

I don't see how to play this expansion with the Navy. How can they accomplish anything without ECM pods and AGM-88s? They're sitting ducks! And has anyone ever destroyed an Overlord without using the Nuke?

Another interesting question- since the Byakhee are gigantic bats, would the AGM-88 be able to home in on their sonar cause that's similar to radar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, Byakhee aren't gigantic bats. They're an alien race of beings who live in interstellar space. So no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.