Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been touched on before, but I'd like to revisit it.

Is there any gameplay that is affected by the Promotion of a Tank to a Guard Tank?

It seems it is purely cosmetic. Can anyone confirm with a rules rake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
I know this has been touched on before, but I'd like to revisit it.

Is there any gameplay that is affected by the Promotion of a Tank to a Guard Tank?

It seems it is purely cosmetic. Can anyone confirm with a rules rake?

A Tank is armored but not elite. A Guard Tank is armored and elite.

One concrete example where the 2 units are not identical is the Advance Priority when resolving a tie for the least engaged attacking unit during Soviet Counterattack:
1 Guards Tank
2 Guards Infantry
3 Tank
4 Shock
5 Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advance priority happens to be the only place I had found that it makes a difference. I should have mentioned it.

Other than this, are there any other effects that trigger off of "Elite" for the Soviets? A tank is already "special": having a promotion to guard tank doesn't appear to have any mechanical effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
Advance priority happens to be the only place I had found that it makes a difference. I should have mentioned it.

Other than this, are there any other effects that trigger off of "Elite" for the Soviets? A tank is already "special": having a promotion to guard tank doesn't appear to have any mechanical effect.

My quick search through the rule pdf didn't reveal any, but I did not examine all the cards. So I am not sure if advance priority is the only place where the difference matters. (But even if it is the only place, that suffices, for that is nontrivial.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played into the late war where Guard tanks abound, but it would seem that this case wouldn't come up very often. You'd need a guard tank and a guard infantry attacking into a combat and tied on least engaged. Guard tank advances. If it were only a tank, the guard infantry would advance.

As an experienced player, given the B+P result and a choice, would you rather promote an Infantry or a Tank to a Guards unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My decision would partly depend on the local tactical situation. If I expect to be able to send the unit back off the map soon, then promote the tank.

BTW later in the campaign it's quite possible to have all the guards in play. That gets tough for the Germans!

This discussion is making me want to play again. It's been a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, getting the tanks off the map before the Soviet counterattacks is huge.

If you do end up playing again, keep this thread in mind. Again, really curious if I missed something.

I really enjoyed it. I liked how the simple "unbroken line" and no stacking emphasizes the Strategic Feel of the Eastern Front. You can just let your imagination run with all the chrome without any fiddliness. And with very little overhead you get that wonderful swinginess: fingertips at the door to Moscow in Fall, and then just HAMMERED in Winter '41. Fun stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.