Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Z-Man website no longer providing rules for.. anything? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the Z-Man website has undergone some changes (you decide for yourself if it's better or worse..) but it seems there are no longer any rules available for anything. I hope this was a momentary oversight and they return because I really count on being able to grab downloadable rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I noticed this when I ordered Robinson Crusoe last week and went to try to download the rules to read before it got here.

I have no idea what is going on on their site. They pretty much just list the store and that is it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Dang.... it's never a good sign when companies start cutting back on small services.

I sure hope that this *is* simply an oversight, I really like Z-Man.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I noticed it too when I went to download some variant rules for Pandemic. I'm hoping it's just due to the re-design and the content will be back up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Filosofia for some rules once. They publish the same game as Z-Man, except in french as they both make F2Z entertainment.
Well they said it is not the company policy to have pdf rules available, even if you contact them with customer service.
I guess thos practices just went corporate and Z-Man (and soon Plaid Hat eventually) doesn't offer the pdf rules anymore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange decision, I would never buy a game without reading the rules first and surely I'm not the only one?
27 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Info
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
No rules online?

With so many games being released reading the rules is a must to make an informed decision.

If they don't let me read the rules in advance there's less chance that I'll buy their games.

Very short sighted.
35 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garry wrote:
No rules online?

With so many games being released reading the rules is a must to make an informed decision.

If they don't let me read the rules in advance there's less chance that I'll buy their games.

Very short sighted.


Indeed, rules tell you enough about a game to have a good idea whether you will like it or not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You will just have to get them from the BGG file sections for the game. It will still be listed there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mls5stokes wrote:
You will just have to get them from the BGG file sections for the game. It will still be listed there.


For now... (he said ominously, with no evidence to back up his fear-mongering)
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bozarth
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mls5stokes wrote:
You will just have to get them from the BGG file sections for the game. It will still be listed there.


True but you will have to rely more on people who bought the game caring enough to scan the rules in to make a pdf and then upload it for new games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Any game of worth will always have its rule-set scanned and posted by the community - started way before the 2nd golden age of gaming and it will continue. This isn't a big leap of faith by the publishers, although a surprising one from a behemoth in the industry.

BozarthPrime wrote:
mls5stokes wrote:
You will just have to get them from the BGG file sections for the game. It will still be listed there.


True but you will have to rely more on people who bought the game caring enough to scan the rules in to make a pdf and then upload it for new games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Any game of worth will always have its rule-set scanned and posted by the community - started way before the 2nd golden age of gaming and it will continue.

Well, often, but not always. There are examples of jealously guarded rules, e.g. Age of Steam, which are not allowed to be posted by the community.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BozarthPrime wrote:
mls5stokes wrote:
You will just have to get them from the BGG file sections for the game. It will still be listed there.


True but you will have to rely more on people who bought the game caring enough to scan the rules in to make a pdf and then upload it for new games.


Unless the publisher gives permission, BGG will not allow scanned rulebooks. I've tried on older games where the rulebook was missing and the publisher was out of business. Still no dice.

Re-written rule sets seem to be okay, though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I reached out to F2Z for comment. Will see what comes back. Plaid Hat Games has already weighed in to state that their rule books are online.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In essence it's a good thing : the big companies making dumb corporate decisions is what allows the small companies to grow and flourish
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Z-Man games got back to me just now - They don't have a "no PDFs" policy. Simply down temporarily during a site redesign.
41 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
Z-Man games got back to me just now - They don't have a "no PDFs" policy. Simply down temporarily during a site redesign.


Thank goodness. I always download rules just so I can keyword search when learning to play. It takes way longer to find anything from print versions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
russ wrote:
Well, often, but not always. There are examples of jealously guarded rules, e.g. Age of Steam, which are not allowed to be posted by the community.

You can download the rules to Age of Steam just fine. Just not from Winsome, but rather from Eagle-Gryphon: see here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lafrance
msg tools
publisher
Avatar
Hey @Lucas Schoukroun,

It might be worth noting that Filosofia occasionally sends PDF rules to players in need. The thing is, even though F2Z Entertainment produces both French and English versions of their games, the English market is way bigger. That you already know. But it also means larger prints for these English versions, which will bring down the production costs of said versions... sometimes.

And people might be tempted to take advantage of that situation, buying a Z-Man game that they don't understand for a lower price and asking for a French rule book afterward.

Allowing that would badly hurt the company and in no time, F2Z wouldn't be able to offer honest French players the games they deserve.

Hoping I was of any help,
Simon - F2Z Entertainment.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, I love rulebooks in PDF especially big ones. Need to find a rule? Search! I have a bunch of my rulebooks in my dropbox so I can access them anywhere I game.

It will definitely affect my buying decisions if they no longer offer rulebook downloads.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonF2Z wrote:
Hey @Lucas Schoukroun,

It might be worth noting that Filosofia occasionally sends PDF rules to players in need. The thing is, even though F2Z Entertainment produces both French and English versions of their games, the English market is way bigger. That you already know. But it also means larger prints for these English versions, which will bring down the production costs of said versions... sometimes.

And people might be tempted to take advantage of that situation, buying a Z-Man game that they don't understand for a lower price and asking for a French rule book afterward.

Allowing that would badly hurt the company and in no time, F2Z wouldn't be able to offer honest French players the games they deserve.

Hoping I was of any help,
Simon - F2Z Entertainment.


That's an interesting reason, one we obviously all missed entirely. Thanks Simon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
SimonF2Z wrote:
Hey @Lucas Schoukroun,

It might be worth noting that Filosofia occasionally sends PDF rules to players in need. The thing is, even though F2Z Entertainment produces both French and English versions of their games, the English market is way bigger. That you already know. But it also means larger prints for these English versions, which will bring down the production costs of said versions... sometimes.

And people might be tempted to take advantage of that situation, buying a Z-Man game that they don't understand for a lower price and asking for a French rule book afterward.

Allowing that would badly hurt the company and in no time, F2Z wouldn't be able to offer honest French players the games they deserve.

Hoping I was of any help,
Simon - F2Z Entertainment.


That's an interesting reason, one we obviously all missed entirely. Thanks Simon


Well, I didn't miss that - the same thing applies to the Dutch language market - but here there isn't a single company who doesn't have the Dutch language rules up on their website. Long term good gamer relations versus short term accountant thinking.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SimonF2Z wrote:
Hey @Lucas Schoukroun,

It might be worth noting that Filosofia occasionally sends PDF rules to players in need. The thing is, even though F2Z Entertainment produces both French and English versions of their games, the English market is way bigger. That you already know. But it also means larger prints for these English versions, which will bring down the production costs of said versions... sometimes.

And people might be tempted to take advantage of that situation, buying a Z-Man game that they don't understand for a lower price and asking for a French rule book afterward.

Allowing that would badly hurt the company and in no time, F2Z wouldn't be able to offer honest French players the games they deserve.

Hoping I was of any help,
Simon - F2Z Entertainment.


Hmmmm...

It's strange but my experience here in Europe is that usually it's the other way around.

The German/French editions are usually considerably cheaper than the english ones. An example at the top of my head is Vikings.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
darthain wrote:
SimonF2Z wrote:
Hey @Lucas Schoukroun,

It might be worth noting that Filosofia occasionally sends PDF rules to players in need. The thing is, even though F2Z Entertainment produces both French and English versions of their games, the English market is way bigger. That you already know. But it also means larger prints for these English versions, which will bring down the production costs of said versions... sometimes.

And people might be tempted to take advantage of that situation, buying a Z-Man game that they don't understand for a lower price and asking for a French rule book afterward.

Allowing that would badly hurt the company and in no time, F2Z wouldn't be able to offer honest French players the games they deserve.

Hoping I was of any help,
Simon - F2Z Entertainment.


That's an interesting reason, one we obviously all missed entirely. Thanks Simon


Well, I didn't miss that - the same thing applies to the Dutch language market - but here there isn't a single company who doesn't have the Dutch language rules up on their website. Long term good gamer relations versus short term accountant thinking.


Or they have a greater knowledge of their consumer base and competition than you do, regardless of whether you appreciate the measure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.